Cadillac Owners Forum banner
256K views 511 replies 289 participants last post by  jmlcaton 
#1 ·
I have a 97 DeVille with 107400 original miles, which I know is not much compared to some of you. To figure out whether or not I can expect much more out of this engine, I would love to see how many of you have Northstars with higher mileage. If your engine is not the original, please let us know. Any major problems along the way would also be helpful, with mileages. I think that a thread like this could really help some of us anticipate problems and estimate the life of our engines!

Thanks,
Jim

My entry:
107400 miles original
no known major problems
now leaks a little oil (began around 100k)

#166 ·
Got my Caddy about 2 months ago with 135,000 miles on it. I now have 137,000 miles on it lol and have already had 2 problems, not really engine related though. Transmission line busted and Starter went out, but still kinda discouraging after owning the car only 8 weeks. The repair shops have been in possesion of the car longer then me so far hehe, I really hope that will change.

#167 ·
I have a 97 Eldo ETC with 124k on it. Its been well maintained but it has been driven HARD HARD HARD. Somewhere around 200-300 launches EASY. There hasn't been many times that its been driven that it hasn't been WOT'ed at least once since about 60K miles (only when tight on gas money). Engine still runs the same as it did at 60K but the trans is on its way out the door. slips and whines and doesn't like to shift.

#168 ·
I'm looking at a 1996 Deville, has 125k miles, the guys says it needs a lower ball joint on the front left and a hub bearing on the same side. And that to have both replaced would cost about $500. Is this accurate? Would I get that done at a dealership, or a independent place?

thanks!

#170 ·
I'm now closing in on 71k miles on my '00 STS and the only real engine problem I suffered was the all too common crankshaft position sensors, which I got fixed back in January. Otherwise my motor has been great; it had the HG's replaced, Timeserted, resealed, etc. back in June '08 at 54306 miles. It also had the coolant crossover done (seems common on '00+ Northstar). My only complaint is my slight "miss", which has been narrowed down to my camshafts. Personally I think it's a small vacuum leak because when I powerwash my engine it always misfires. It still runs like a bat outta hell though... :sneaky:

#171 ·
I have a 2000 STS with 362,000 km and still working fine. I love it. It was getting a little sluggish so I replaced the fuel filter and got back the 100 hp it was missing. Hey ryannel2003, you mentioned about having the HG's replaced, Timeserted, resealed, could you explain, thanks. I am looking at a '96 Eldorado, only driven in one winter, 129,000 km, spotless top and bottom. Asking $4,300. I am just worried about head gaskets, would anyone like to give me there thoughts on what percentage of these Northstars do blow gaskets. I heard the 2000 + have used larger head bolts so they don't pull in the aluminum blocks and release the gaskets. My brother has a '99 STS and had his blown. :helpless:

#172 ·
The car had been having issues with Low Coolant messages, throwing a few codes, and had been generally running poorly. At this time I didn't own the car so the first owner traded it in on a newer '08 STS and when I had inquired about buying the car they said it had some motor trouble. I personally think the HG didn't need replacing because the car did not show any obvious signs of HG issues (using coolant, white smoke, etc.). The coolant crossover did have to be done so I figured the dealer went ahead and did the HG just to be on the safe side of things. They also did a reseal on the bottom end and a rear main seal (even though the car didn't leak any oil) again, because that is another common Northstar complaint.

There really isn't a number out there that could rationalize how many Northstars have had issues. Some have problems from the beginning, some don't ever have a problem. I don't think the '96's were as prone to this failure as the '97-'99's were and I'm not sure why. It could be something to do with coolant, it could be the design.

#173 ·
Well, I bought a 1997 Seville STS with about 84.5k miles on it, I've put almost a thousand miles on it in two weeks lol. What can I say it's fun to drive. No major issues yet, it had a "Service ride control" message but a GM dealer fixed that, it was just a disconnected sensor. Also said 'check coolant' but I added some dexcool and no problems since. The dealer checked the car over completely, and said it's in great shape. All I have paid for is to have the rear rotors machined (certainly not the car's fault) and for the labor of doing the checkup, oil change, and fixing that ride control sensor. Hope I can catch up to you guys and still be driving this car at 200k!

#180 ·
I have a 97 DeVille with 107400 original miles, which I know is not much compared to some of you. To figure out whether or not I can expect much more out of this engine, I would love to see how many of you have Northstars with higher mileage. If your engine is not the original, please let us know. Any major problems along the way would also be helpful, with mileages. I think that a thread like this could really help some of us anticipate problems and estimate the life of our engines!

Thanks,
Jim

My entry:
107400 miles original
no known major problems
now leaks a little oil (began around 100k)
My '93 STS has some of the 'unlucky' engine problems like little oil leaks. I replaced the Northstar with a simular milage used one, even though I serviced much of the engine bay issues like the wiring harness, changed out as much of the gaskets /oil seals I could. The main problem ( besides the GM Manufacturer's DEFECT headgaskets that GM screwed everyone on, by IGNORING IT)

It's replacement parts!! Injector - plastic fittings & vacuum parts are not around anymore. Fortunatly, I have the entire spare injector assy & throttle body.
Unfortunatly, the fun is gone working on my car because I don't have the diagnostic tools.
I am selling mine, for a very nice '93 Mercedes 500 SL, that won't have a headgasket problem.

Attachments

#182 ·
215000 miles. Running back and forth 101 San Jose - Santa Barbara (294 miles, 4h on the clock every week). 25 to 25.5 miles per gallons (all data from on board computer). A comfortable and secure car.
Engine ran fine until recently.
Oil consumption was 1/4 per 3000 miles, until recently where it developed a leak at the oil pan seal. It seems fixing this is really a pain, from the amount of work involved (pull the transmission out, and part of the exhaust), the problems it can create (it seems there are two gaskets above and below an intermediate plate right above the oil pan, and this plate seems to support cylinder sleeves, so i don't want to move it...) and the fact that I'm not the one that will do it ($$$).
The leak by itself does not bother me too much, but the smell when oil is projected on the exhaust is a problem, not talking about potential hazard (oil and a very very hot catalytic converter).
I tried "unclassified' mechanic: cleaning, degreasing, pull bolt one at a time, clean them, prep them, add sealant, torque back to 10 lb*ft, and add sealant all over the seal on the outside. Worked very well where I had access. But not where I can't access (over the exhaust).
Anyone with any experience of trying to cut the exhaust line and add one flange (before it goes back over the transmission) so no more need to take the transmission off to change the oil pan seal?
Thank you.

#187 ·
My 98 Deville has 165,000 miles on it. I bought it two months ago, and use it as a daily driver on a 100 mile roundtrip commute to work. This car runs great, lots of power.

I talked to the previous owner, and there has been no engine work done on it. He is one of those guys who keeps all the maintenance records, and keeps on top of the maintenance. It also was garage kept. He sold it because he just bought a 2006 Caddy.

A few other things have been replaced, such as the A/C compressor, but nothing engine related.

The 98 Deville is a great looking car. Much better than anything put out today, including the new cadillacs. Plus it gets 27 mpg. Thats pretty good considering it is a full size sedan (a real full size sedan means something different today than 11 years ago evidently - A current year Ford Taurus is not a full size sedan in my opinion). Why can't car companies make a car as good as the ones made 11 years ago?

As long as this baby runs, I have no plans to buy another car, even if it means I am driving it 10 years from now.:welcome:

#188 ·
96 deville.252,000.engine runs good no blow by or anything.uses and leaks oil.i think it leaks more than it uses.i would say a quart between 900 and 1500 miles.have a front seal out on the tranny i havent had the time to replace.due to that i dont drive it very much anymore.i start it up once a week and drive it a few blocks.theres always a puddle of tranny fluid under it.other than the front seal this has been the best caddie i have ever had.i have put 122,000 miles on it since i have had it.