Cadillac Owners Forum banner
256K views 511 replies 289 participants last post by  jmlcaton 
#1 ·
I have a 97 DeVille with 107400 original miles, which I know is not much compared to some of you. To figure out whether or not I can expect much more out of this engine, I would love to see how many of you have Northstars with higher mileage. If your engine is not the original, please let us know. Any major problems along the way would also be helpful, with mileages. I think that a thread like this could really help some of us anticipate problems and estimate the life of our engines!

Thanks,
Jim

My entry:
107400 miles original
no known major problems
now leaks a little oil (began around 100k)

#136 ·
I only have 94,500 on my 98 Deville right now; it had 91,500 when I got it. But the lady who owned it before me (who is now 80, but was the only owner of my car) was very savvy....she dealership serviced the car, and I was digging through the service records the other day and got a new lease on life! Just before her factory warranty was about to go out, she complained about oil consumption issues and somehow convinced the dealer to re-seal the entire engine! On the invoice, you can see all sorts of gaskets, sealants, etc. listed under the "parts "category. It took them DAYS to complete the repair. I dont know how she convinced them to do that but she did, so I have a good shot at making it far in this car as far as oil problems go.

#137 ·
Damn thats really awesome. You should be able to take that Deville quite a long way.

I had similar luck when I got my '00 Seville w/54k miles. The previous owner had the car dealer maintained, and right before she traded it problems started arising with hard starting and stalling. Headgasket was blown, and a few other things were wrong with it. When it was all fixed up, I bought it. I have a long way to go to catch up to you guys. :D

#141 ·
97 SLS with 165,xxx. I bought it with 121k and have had lots of small issues. First to go were the wires in the ignition that contact the resistor pellet in the key that kept making me wait 3 minutes to start the car. Had a bad front left hub and I think the front right is going too. Had "Engine Misfire" due to a clogged fuel injector, but I changed the plugs, wires, cleaned the EGR valve and checked the solenoids tracking down that problem. A/C had a bad o-ring that I had to replace, then evacuate the system, then fill with refrigerant. Muffler rusted out and got very loud so I had to replace that. Regulator on the alternator blew out around 130k. Driver's window switch broke with the window down (of course) so I had to get a new one from the junkyard. Now the power antenna is stuck up, but I can replace that whenever. Oil consumption is about 1 qt every 600 miles, but other than that (I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple things), she's running great!!

Seems like I've got a used car with a bunch of new parts. Hopefully it'll hold together for another year or two until I can get something else.

#142 ·
98 concours. Other than the norms; alt, wp, just changed water pump crossover gaskets. NOT FUN! I have a cold tranny whine and little slippage at frist start up. With 213000 everything else is orginal and I love the car. Went to passive shocks a few years ago and never looked back. The car is pearl white and STILL turns heads!

#143 ·
i just bought a 01 Deville with 203,000 and change as a beater while i worked on my audi tt, but in the last couple of days the car has grown on me and ill be fixing it up too eventually, im thinking about dropping a new engine in it since it has the all time famous head gasket issue:rolleyes: and i dont know if the heads are damaged or not but the car runs pretty good i think, it's the first time ever in a caddy :). this is my first post too :highfive:

#146 ·
Hey everyone. This is my first post here. I am not a Cadillac owner(yet), but I came here looking for some advice. I am in the market for a DTS. I have found one at a local Cadillac dealership for $4999. It is a 2003 with 182,000 and some change. The price is affordable and the pictures look ok from what I can tell(no torn up interior, exterior doesn't look like its obviously been hit and patched back together, etc). I am a bit nervous about buying one with that many miles on it. That's over 30,000 miles a year and I don't know how well the previous owner took care of it. Any questions, comments or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

#151 ·
If the vehicle is as nice as you describe, it would suggest to me that it was one of two things.

1. A limo service vehicle - this is OK. Most limo companies service their cars on a maintenance schedule religiously & if it was highway miles, then it is probably a more solid feeling/running, first private owner or company car as opposed to multiple "city driving" owners.

2. A privately owned car that was used for long distance commute. Possibly a salesman's car? In this case it was probably on a more rigorous maintenance schedule as well.

Check with your local Cadillac dealer. They might be able to give you some insight into the service history if it was brought to a dealer for warranty work, routine maintenance, or otherwise.

#149 ·
312000 miles on a 97 STS. Everything still original with the engine, of course the spark plugs have been changed 3 times, new wires once, new coils once, new alternator once, new water pump once, new fuel pump once and now needs another one, new fuel pressure regulator once, new rear knuckles on both sides, new aluminum heater core(the original had plastic tanks that split and filled up the floor board with coolant...not to mention it looked like Cheech and Chong was driving with all of the steam/smoke coming out of the windows). The dirver window and the passenger rear window doesn't roll down, all 4 struts are bad, she uses and leaks a little oil (to the tune of about a quart/1000 miles. The air dam on the front has been ripped off from running over one too many jackrabbits. Other than that...she's cherry, no dings, dents or scratches and...if a new fuel pump was installed, she would still run like a striped assed ape! Oh yeah, she's still getting 22-24 mpg! Has been a good car!

Kent

#152 ·
MrPibb, Northstar engines are tough engines. If mistreated they can be destroyed like any other engine, but as long as the oil maintenance was kept up, and hopefully the cooling system as well, I'd say go for it. Take it for a test run and make sure the temp guage stays on the 12 o'clock mark (creeping up slightly above is OK as long as it comes back down right away) and that it shifts smoothly. Check the oil for cleanliness and open the oil cap and take a peek in there as well at the heads. If it looks good and clean (aluminum color or slightly goldish/yellow) then the oil's been changed fairly regularly. If it's dark or black like tar, stay away from that Northstar. The first place oil builds up and turns to sludge in a N* is in the ports behind the chain tensioners. But I've seen N*'s with over 200,000 miles (359,000 kilometers to be exact) in great condition on the factory build- burning no more oil than what you'd expect for a N*, and no knocks or funny sounds. The lower timing chain tensioner is the first to wear out, but some last longer than others- depends on the amount of splash oiling. That's something we all take a chance on. The chains last damn near forever. The intermediate cam sprocket and mount can wear out too, but again that depends on oil and maintenance.

Also, check for irregular noises and knocks as usual. cv joints and wheel bearings should be on the repair list for a car with that amount of miles- if they haven't been recently done. If you go to the right places, these parts won't hit the wallet too badly.

#155 ·
My 1999 DeVille has 133,000 miles nothing major done exept the usual head gasket :bighead:, but the motor looks great on the inside and im going to hope for over 300,000! :cool2:

#156 ·
Well...I'm up to 324,000 miles and she's runnin' better now than when I got her at 70,000...1 radiator,1 fuel pump,1 alternator,1 a/c compressor,2 blower motors,new frt. pulleys/tensioners,1 new cat,1 cruise module,1 egr valve and brakes,tires,struts....still gets the looks...28mpg hwy and uses only 1 qt/3,000 miles! Let's see if we can trip the light fantastic by gettin' her to go to insane unheard of mileage!!! Yeah!!! '96 STS black w/dark wine interior.

#160 ·
Had a 95 STS that was still running on original engine at about 285000, but we got rid of it and I don't know how it is doing now.

Still have a 2000 DHS with 270000 miles, has broken a couple of engine mounts and front cylinder head was rubbing 1/2 way through the upper radiator hose. Orig engine and trans and neither has ever been opened up. Cracked the radiator last out of town trip and hopefully after rebuilding the cooling system (new thermostat, pump, belts, tensioners, crossover gaskets, radiator, surge tank, and hoses, all of which are original!) and new motor mounts will continue to serve me for another 100000 +.