Cadillac Owners Forum banner
256K views 511 replies 289 participants last post by  jmlcaton 
#1 ·
I have a 97 DeVille with 107400 original miles, which I know is not much compared to some of you. To figure out whether or not I can expect much more out of this engine, I would love to see how many of you have Northstars with higher mileage. If your engine is not the original, please let us know. Any major problems along the way would also be helpful, with mileages. I think that a thread like this could really help some of us anticipate problems and estimate the life of our engines!

Thanks,
Jim

My entry:
107400 miles original
no known major problems
now leaks a little oil (began around 100k)

#53 ·
We often saw 250K-300K on 4.5 Devilles in a taxi fleet in Pittsburgh that GM susidized with the Cadillacs to use for field fleet experience.

Lots of the executive limo services in the metro areas use the 2000 style Deville. We have seen several of the Metro cars in the Detroit area with over 200 on them.

There was a certain 93 Allante in a GM development fleet that was flogged religiously by everyone that drove it. It was torn down at 130K and the engine looked great inside... Seems like the harder the engines are run the better they look at teardown in my experience. That is why I am such a firm believer in occasional WOT operation...very occasional.

Lots of our "in use" fleet cars went over 100K in general driving conditions and tested pre the FTP for emissions and were fine. This fleet proved that oil consumption does not affect the cat significantly as per conventional wisdom suggested it would.

My Yamaha XS1100 motorcycle (circa 1978) is sitting in the basement in semi-retirement with 108,000 miles on it....LOL. It has been to Alaska twice and to Newfoundland and in just about every state and province and it still gets ridden every year just as a matter of tradition. It actually runs great and has no problems at all except from sitting too much. Original engine and such. Lots of maintenance on it but that is all.

Some of my favorite all time "mileage champs" spend their entire lives in a dark room running at heavy throttle and 3600 RPM for years.... It is not uncommon for large office buildings/small skyscrapers to use automotive engines running on natural gas to power the compressors for the commercial AC systems for the building. In the Detroit area I have seen several installs like this that the gas company actually pays for the equipment just to sell the building the natural gas to run the engines. They make a very cost effective means of powering the huge compressors needed for large building wide AC systems. It is either that or electric motors and the deciding factor is the cost of electricity vs. the cost of the natural gas. Those engines, converted to natural gas, will run for thousands and thousands of hours under moderately heavy load like that. They are almost universally big block chevy truck engines that are converted and installed. Many of them run for decades with little or no maintenance other than lube oil changes.

#54 ·
Mine's a '97 STS with 117,000 miles on it. Have only had it since 110,800 miles. After buying it, I replaced the AC compressor and had the fuel injection treatment done. The car runs like a raped ape, but the engine has a mild ticking noise. The engine does drink a little oil since I have to add some every couple weeks, and there is no evidence of a leak anywhere. All said I love this car and will definately buy another Cadillac when this one has worn out (several years from now I hope):D

#55 ·
94' STS 168,000 miles, no interior engine work work whatsoever, solenoids in tranny @ 150,000. Still runs like a bear, 200,000 + should be no problem. I had an 88' DeVille that went to 275,000. Steering, suspension & interior all took a dump, but the 4.5 engine / tranny still ran well! Only major on the 88' was intake manifold gaskets!

#60 ·
jam224 said:
I have a 97 DeVille with 107400 original miles, which I know is not much compared to some of you. To figure out whether or not I can expect much more out of this engine, I would love to see how many of you have Northstars with higher mileage. If your engine is not the original, please let us know. Any major problems along the way would also be helpful, with mileages. I think that a thread like this could really help some of us anticipate problems and estimate the life of our engines!

Thanks,
Jim

My entry:
107400 miles original
no known major problems
now leaks a little oil (began around 100k)
I have a 96 Concourse with 190K miles. It started burning an excessive amount of oil at about 150. My owners manual specifically advises against using 20W50 oil. I switched to 20W50 and it stopped burning oil. This exact same thing happened with an '85 Seville that I previously owned. It started running really badly at about 180K, so I took it into a dealer for a checkup. The shop told me that my only option was to take it to a junk yard. I changed the spark plugs myself and all the problems disappeared immediately. Now it runs like new. Every dealer I have been to since the car got 50,001 miles on it have treated me like a piece of shit. I started burning regular gas 50K miles ago with no ill effects. The brake warning, traction warning, engine warning lights and the tgransmission warning message have been on since about 50K miles, with no ill effect. They simply cannot be turned off. One Cadillac sholp told me there was nothing wrong but it would cost $2500 to get them turned off. I plan to find the biggest, poorest, largest welfare family that I can and give the car to them when I get ready for another car.

#61 ·
My 94 SLS has 125,+++ with a minor oil leak

and I know it is not a caddy, but my Jeep XJ has 194,802
and both have original engine and tranny. and I beat my XJ hard in mud and rock climbing
Oh the caddy runs strong and can be on the highway. loves to hit the tripple digit zone on speed, only when no one else on the road.

#62 ·
I have a 94 STS, 116k miles not many miles compared to some, but it runs great, I had to replace tranny solenoids and the alternator, oil changes by the oil life meter and it looks great, people are surprised when I say it is a 94.

On a different note, my wifes 92 Buick Lesabre just turned over 188k runs like a champ, no major problems with it other than normal maintenance and 2 alternators.

John

#63 ·
I have a 95 etc 89k miles no leaks runs like new. I used to work for a local cadillac dealer and I do know the northstars are known for head bolts (stripping and leaking) and also the mid case leaking oil. If this has been fixed on your car they run fine 200k miles plus :thumbsup: I have seen a mid case leak at 30k and also at 100k so I guess its just what day the car was built on or if the guy building the motor was pissed at his boss that day :farting:

#67 ·
My first Seville, a 1984, ran for over 300,000 miles (no kiddin'!) -- the water pump blew on me and warped a head gasket, thus, she died. I just bought a 1997 SLS with over 130,000 miles -- original Northstar engine -- and he runs beautifully. A slight oil leak from the oil pan gasket -- not unusual for Caddys -- is the only "problem." I never mind gasket leaks as it keeps the bottom of a car rust-free and well-lubed.

#68 ·
I have a 1994 SLS Diamond white -- in premium shape -- with+126,000. Outside of a little problem with an occassional surge at a traffic light I am pleased beyond words. As is common I need to add a quart of oil between oil changes. The engine, as far as I am concerned is still outstanding. :)

#69 ·
Old thread I know but I just wanna add the my 1993 seville STS has 196*** and it does not leak any oil. I add one quart of oil between changes (every 3000). No problems yet and is it ever strong, you can feel it when you go WOT. I am very impressed with the car, only had about a year. Hope my northstar continues strong into the future.

#70 ·
My STS has 108,843 miles right now on it. No oil leaks but burns a little when accelerating hard. Replaced the starter, intake manifold gasket, and the battery. We had a 87 Astro van that went to 315,400 before some jerk attempted to pass when we were making a left hand turn and caved in the driver's door. Insurance company totaled it. It would have been interesting to see how far it would have gone.

#71 ·
I have a 94 SLS that went 259,000 before it spun a bearing,not a head gasket. I am on my second motor with same tranny @ 301,000. It has been a very good car. I attribute it to changing the oil at 3,000 and alot of highway miles. My 2003 Deville is junk. I just sold it at 50,000 with many problems. I will buy another though,if I can talk my wife out of the Jaguar. If any of you are wondering why your 93-96 sls-sts has water in the spare tire area,you sun roof is leaking. It has a drain hose to the trunk. Took a while to figure that out.

#72 ·
I left Florida moving to Tulsa,OK at 120K in my STS had only changed the water pump. mid route in Birmingham, AL My Heads went south on me...COULDN"T find a mech. that was WILLING to do the Heads there....LOL :confused: ended up buying a used motor with 94k on it and kept on trunkin' another 14 hrs strait no problems...runs better that it did at first. had to put another water pump on it though. (they didn't keep the one I had just put on there)...since then I have put another 15K on it and now I need to change my Soleniods in the tranny. other than that looks and runs like new...(until i get up to about 55mph)...lol but that will soon be fixed...great thread..:thumbsup:

#73 ·
My 1994 STS has just over 24,000 miles. Oops, I'm looking for the low mileage thread. Seriously, your posts about high mileage give me lots of confidence in the the car in general and the N* in particular. Gave it some WOTs today. I've read the threads on whether or not the WOTs are a necessity or just for fun. Can something that feels and sounds so good also be good for me? Better not get too philosophical and take all of the fun out of it.

#75 · (Edited)
I have 245000 miles on my '93 ETC... Orig engine and tranny.. Replace H2O pump twice, Alt twice (because of knight rider lights in grill draining battery), 2 Coils (the #1/#4) One Radiator, 2 O2 sensors, 2 catalytic converts, 2 tranny solenoids (both at same time), one fuel pump, A/C compressor and most recent harmonic balancer replacement.. (Numerous tires, and front head light bulbs, plug wires, spark plugs only 3 times) Now plastic around the firewall is starting to break/flake apart.. Started running synthetic oil at 84,000 and I contribute it to saving the engine during the H2O pump issues... All this and I'm still not afraid to take it up against anybody that once to race...

I need to replace the struts, they went out at 100000 miles but I keep putting it off and I have to go to a junk yard for a wheel position sensor that acts up in the morning.. Hope I can find a good deal where the guy selling it doesn't know what it is..

#76 ·
I have 96 STS fully loaded, I bought it with 40K, first of all I love the car, it has had it problems, transmission, water pump, fuel pump, battery replaced maybe twice, tail lights problems, I have over 250k, nothing have been done to the motor, it runs good, it seem like after 200k, the car has become maintance free, basiclly all I do now is wash it, change oil and drive it, I drive about hundred miles a day running at 80 mph plus, I think I love it more, nothing beat an old Caddy.... Roshears@yahoo.com