High Mileage Northstar Thread: Who can beat me? - Page 27
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast
Like Tree141Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, High Mileage Northstar Thread: Who can beat me? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Dex has nothing to do with it. If it did we'd all have HG failures......................... and WP gasket failures, and ...
    Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: High Mileage Northstar Thread: Who can beat me?

Dex has nothing to do with it. If it did we'd all have HG failures......................... and WP gasket failures, and thermostat gasket failures etc, etc as would every other GM engine (they all use Dex).

IB Hyman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I have 186,000 km 1999 sts red in color love is too small of a word I have for her
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

johngcarr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Deville

Ok - I just found this thread and joined the forum just so I can reply to this. My 2004 deville has 217,700 on it currently and I do NOT consider this high at all. The day I bought it with 62k on it I fully intended on taking it to somewhere between 350k and 400k before selling it still running good. EVERYTHING with a northstar has to do with proper maintenance. I use Mobile 1 Extended performance 15k oil and change it every 6k to 8k miles. Don't use fram paper oil filters - use the supertech from walmart or the Mobile 1 filter - both are very comparable actually as they are fabric, high-flow filters. Switch to the K&N air filter, change your fuel filter every 30k to 50k miles, flush your anti-freeze/coolant every 60k miles or so but IMMEDIATELY get rid of the Dex-cool (that's first priority - did it at the dealership day I bought mine and replaced with Prestone Global). Change your plugs using original iridium plugs every 60k to 75k miles. At 9 years old and nearly 220k miles my car is literally as smooth as it was the day I bought it and looks new in and out. I can look down into the oil fill and the engine look as clean as new inside. There should be absolutely no reason to not get another 150k out of her. Take care of your cadillacs and you can drive them about as long as you'd like. I still get the same gas mileage that I did when I bought it (which with the air filter and fluids listed above is 31 mpg highway at 70 mph). I floor it routinely to keep the carbon out of it as well about once every 2 weeks taking it up to 90 or so very briefly (from current highway speed - never from stop or lower spead as this is aweful for a car). Also, the use of a fuel injector cleaner is extremely helpful - I use Lucas Oil for this every 3rd fill-up and only use good quality fuels. I also strongly recommend changing your transmission fluid and steering fluid every 60k to 70k miles also and during this I add 2 quarts of lucas trans fluid (normally 1 but the pan on this transmission is an 18 quart pan). The 4t80e transmission will ALSO drive as long as you want to drive it as long as you change the fluids and treat it well. I should point out that this is the routine I use on all of our vehicles and we almost NEVER have any car problems and I strongly recommend it. I think that Amsoil would likely be as good or better for any of these fluids, but I've had a working process with easy accessability to the ones I use so I've stayed with the ones I currently use. I LOVE cadillacs - have all of my life, grew up with them and have seen even models that were considered garbage run fantastic for years and years (mid-80's 4.1 - never had issues with them) when maintianed well.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    Don't think u will have many buyers for car when u hit 400k

Mafiaman111 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Eldorado 176000 miles Black on Black

Most people tend avoid buying cars above 200K unless it was cheap

Markosan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado ETC

96 ETC @ 117.jpg

Not a lot yet but the best part of the day is driving her!
    CadillacLuke24 and jounier11 like this.

FOXMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS

She's a 98 STS... 225 and some change. And yes, It's that cold today in Wisconsin...1123131547a_91030.jpg

zoo mob is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Prospective SRX buyer

So why no SRX owners on this thread?

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

SRX has only been around since 2004 ... plus most of those owners stick to their vehicle specific sub-forum and never see these threads
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

blooddragon78 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 98 Seville STS

I've got 255,744 miles on the 98 Seville STS I just got. Was told motor and trans were rebuilt around 140,000. Not sure if that's true.
    Car runs great aside from the major exhaust leak from both flex pipes being bad which I was told was from front motor mount being bad. Getting that fixed by Christmas.

cadimiles.jpg

Chuckj19 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS-195,xxx (Daily Driver); 94 SLS-154,xxx RIP 2010
    I have a 1999 STS with 199,000 miles on body and tranny..replaced engine with 108,000 mile motor

# Long engine life is contributed to frequent maintenance and a good relationship with God

Mafiaman111 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Eldorado 176000 miles Black on Black

drivendeville we need an update
    jounier11 likes this.

mjbrome is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville Base
    Guy I work with has a Seville STS. 02 I think. His dad was the second owner and bought it with 50k and now he has it. Its been worked on of course but to his knowledge no head gaskets. I think a couple starters and altinators and most recently rear suspension conversion (I guess without sensors tops out at 90 mph). Last talking to him he said 260k but I'm guessing it's got to be closer to 265k now with the distance he drives to work. Original window sticker in glove box says $53,000!! Original owner was a doctor and paid in full. My window sticker says $45,000 on my 01 Seville base with back-up sensors and floor at package. (About 3k in upgrades from factory.)

Closet Boy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SLS

It has been years since I actively participated at this great site. I wish to report that my 1997 STS became INOP in 2008. She gave 190k total miles with original motor and trans. In 2005, I purchased the vehicle for $1.5k from a Cleveland dealer, and with approx.150k miles. It was nice run.

dubs3 (1).jpg 09-18-05_1814.jpg

If not for CF, I don't think she would have lasted as long. This site offers much useful info and advice. Special thanks to CF Mods and Members.

I am back in the market for another Seville. Tomorrow morning, I have an appt. to inspect a 2001.

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

I will go against the rule here - this is a picture of a 04 Deville instrument panel my friend sent me. He works at an auto repair shop, and it was one of his customers.

8901 miles, yet with some kind of service DIC message..

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.