High Mileage Northstar Thread: Who can beat me? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree141Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, High Mileage Northstar Thread: Who can beat me? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Originally Posted by Katshot From '97 to 2000, I had experience with Northstars. I had many in our fleet that ...
    jonrodman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Seville STS

Re: High Mileage Northstar Thread: Who can beat me?

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot
    From '97 to 2000, I had experience with Northstars. I had many in our fleet that had in excess of 200K miles but, sadly the majority were NOT original. As I recall, roughly half of the Northstar engines in those cars went by 150K miles and by the time I left, the highest mileage we had on a Northstar was about 220K miles. The usual problem was of course, head gaskets.
    Hi Kevin,
    Who keeps fleets of Cadillacs? Was it a rental fleet like Hertz or Enterprise? Was it a texas company called Enron? How many companies have fleets of Cadillacs?
    Jon
    96 STS

zdld17 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot
    From '97 to 2000, I had experience with Northstars. I had many in our fleet that had in excess of 200K miles but, sadly the majority were NOT original. As I recall, roughly half of the Northstar engines in those cars went by 150K miles and by the time I left, the highest mileage we had on a Northstar was about 220K miles. The usual problem was of course, head gaskets.

Can you detail about the head gaskets? Was this a corrosion factor? Coolant factor? etc. What do you think was the preventive?

Purplewgn2000 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

My Caddy has 176,000 and strong

Well, I have a 1997 Seville STS with about 176,000 miles on it and the original engine and tranny are still kickin. I will provide a pic if you so desire. I have replaced the knock sensor, master cylinder fluid sensor, and it needs a new idler and tensioner pulley in the next 10,000 miles. This car runs like new, doesnt smoke, doesnt leak, doesnt burn ANY oil, and still pulls a 14.8 in the quarter. I need to replace the struts/springs, rotors, and pads soon. All parts that are wear items have been replaced when necessary.

Makes me proud to be a Caddy owner. Doesnt it?

CokeDriver is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a 99 STS with 132,000 miles and no major problems as of yet. No other car I have owned can come close to the reliablility of the caddy

Quote Originally Posted by jam224
    I have a 97 DeVille with 107400 original miles, which I know is not much compared to some of you. To figure out whether or not I can expect much more out of this engine, I would love to see how many of you have Northstars with higher mileage. If your engine is not the original, please let us know. Any major problems along the way would also be helpful, with mileages. I think that a thread like this could really help some of us anticipate problems and estimate the life of our engines!

Thanks,
    Jim

My entry:
    107400 miles original
    no known major problems
    now leaks a little oil (began around 100k)

crazy4asista is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a 97 DeVille with 107400 original miles, which I know is not much compared to some of you. To figure out whether or not I can expect much more out of this engine, I would love to see how many of you have Northstars with higher mileage. If your engine is not the original, please let us know. Any major problems along the way would also be helpful, with mileages. I think that a thread like this could really help some of us anticipate problems and estimate the life of our engines!

Thanks,
    Jim

My entry:
    107400 miles original
    no known major problems
    198000 here needs struts all 4 corners a/c compressor knocking like a bill collector at your door ....runs great though minor oil leaks

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Thats impressive!!!!

STS2NV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Well seam to have you all beat have a 93 sts with 353,000km .....208,000mls on original Engine with no major work.
    Oil changed every 4000km here in Ontario

fabinatl is offline Cadillac Owners Member

How about a 97 SLS with 204,000. Runs and looks like it is brand new!

30k/yr... MOTHER OF PEARL!!!

dan3or6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 98 Deville

Wink Re: High Mileage Northstar Thread: Who can beat me?

Thanks,
    Jim

My entry:
    107400 miles original
    no known major problems

1994 sls northstar went 259,000 highway miles before it spun a rod bearing using penzoil.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

hmmm, well it's not a N* but my 4.9 has 86,200miles on her...

.... I feel bad, she is nearing 90k miles, and soon 100k miles... but she is a '93... I can't belive a 1999 model car and such can have like 120k miles... damn.... dosn't make me feel as bad...

muscles is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks,
    Jim

My entry:
    107400 miles original
    no known major problems
    We bought a 97 with 41k and it has now turned 121, I am told I have a blown head gasket or a cracked head or block and should get a new motor. It blows coolant out the overflow, but doesn't register hot, with normal around-town driving. It's very disappointing, the car is wonderful to drive.
    Ian Martindale
    maroon2@mindspring.com

94eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks,
    Jim

My entry:
    107400 miles original
    no known major problems

I have a 94 eldorado with the 4.6 northstar that has 132,000 miles. I am running into the first problem with it so far. It is some kind of electrical problem and may have nothing to do with the engine. I hope I can figure out what the problem is. I have had the car for 7 years.

My entry: 132,000 original miles
    small oil leak began around 115,000

LoneRanger is offline Cadillac Owners Member

25,550 on a 2000 DHS. Purrs.

The 4 year warranty ran out yesterday and I am gambling that not buying an extended warranty is the way to go.

Encouraging to see the above numbers.

Thats great...... Personally Id get another warranty.... I know that it would be hard to believe that your DHS wouldnt be running perfect, but Id still do it....

Hopefully the newer cadillacs will have a better record for reliability than did the older ones!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.