High Mileage Northstar Thread: Who can beat me? - Page 15
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
Like Tree128Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, High Mileage Northstar Thread: Who can beat me? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hey guys sorry but I haven't owned a northstar yet, but I do have a green 94 deville with the ...
    Tee Three is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 DeVille 4.9L, 87 Deville, 03 Grand Marquis, 96 Yukon

Question Re: High Mileage Northstar Thread: Who can beat me?

Hey guys sorry but I haven't owned a northstar yet, but I do have a green 94 deville with the 4.9l engine, pushing about 231k and still running strong, with original trans and motor. I used towork as the quick oil change guy for walmart, and I've seen a lot of northstars come in with over 170k on them, even though they were the 96-99 models. I haven't seen that many 00 and up northstars with over 100k on them. I remember one 00 dts came in with over with over 260k miles on it, all original. The owner said his miles mostly came from commuting an hour to work and back 5 days a week. The northstar is a performance motor that is built to be driven hard, and designed for long trips instead of grandmas short .2 mile trips to church and the grocery store every few days. I commuted to work everyday, which is about 35 mins where I stay, and my miles are mostly highway. Maybe highway driving, along with proper maintenance is the key to keeping a northstar alive without the infamous head gasket problem?

loosheads is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Devill DTS

Re: High Mileage Northstar Thread: Who can beat me?

Quote Originally Posted by jam224 View Post
    I have a 97 DeVille with 107400 original miles, which I know is not much compared to some of you. To figure out whether or not I can expect much more out of this engine, I would love to see how many of you have Northstars with higher mileage. If your engine is not the original, please let us know. Any major problems along the way would also be helpful, with mileages. I think that a thread like this could really help some of us anticipate problems and estimate the life of our engines!

Thanks,
    Jim

My entry:
    107400 miles original

My 1999 Devill had 149,000km before the bolts let go. the guy who fixed mine has seen them as low as 60,000 km in his shop. It is not mileage it is the aluminum corosion and the threads are too thin and let go. The guy in Toronto has a 13 year old fix and it is great. He already used the coarse thread then and then the sure grip studs were created a few years ago. So the coarse thread idea was created by a machinist in Toronto not a few years ago like studs.
    no known major problems
    now leaks a little oil (began around 100k)
    mmmm

RatherBBoatn is offline Cadillac Owners Member

1999 SLS 220k. Original engine and transmission. Original HG. Someone just ran into her and totaled it. Thank you uninsured motorost.

ddavis914 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

93 ETC original engine, 154941 and counting. I can sometimes smell oil and put in a half a quart after an 800 mile trip. From what I read so far leave well enough alone, but I would like to know what kind of job it is to replace the oil seals? My brothers a mechanic and we can pull her - take the engine out - if we have too. Love this car! Last work: Water pump, PCV, Front Oxygen Sensor, MAP Sensor, EGR Valve, Idle Speed Control Motor. She runs great.

Pete1996 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

1996 STS, all original, started loosing coolant at about 120K miles, HG failed at about 162K miles. Overheats after 15 min on the highway, 1/2 hr around town.

sagecar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS & 2007 DTS

My 2001 Deville DTS has 137,000 miles on it, and it drives fine. And it's the orginal motor that I know of. I bought the car with 75,000 miles on it. I'm told though that the case halves are beginning to leak, which is a common problem of the Northstar engines. I'm told by my service advisor that as long as I keep an eye on the oil level it should be fine.

sts777 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): "96 STS Black

Currently I have 401,000 miles on the car...the tranny finally lost it's road gear(OD) at 377k..still original engine,head gaskets,starter,front drive axles(and boots),exhaust system(less the cat),rear wheel bearings and even the original headlamp bulbs(most of my driving is at night!)!! I will be eventually be posting pics of the car and the odometer when it hit the 400,000 mile mark. 1996 STS
    jounier11 and jounier11 like this.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

WOW! Very impressive. You should send a copy of this to Carroll Custom Cadillacs. They say "All Northstar's will lose their head gaskets around 100k to 140k depending on how the car has been driven, sometimes sooner sometimes later".

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Quote Originally Posted by sts777 View Post
    Currently I have 401,000 miles on the car...the tranny finally lost it's road gear(OD) at 377k..still original engine,head gaskets,starter,front drive axles(and boots),exhaust system(less the cat),rear wheel bearings and even the original headlamp bulbs(most of my driving is at night!)!! I will be eventually be posting pics of the car and the odometer when it hit the 400,000 mile mark. 1996 STS
    THAT is some serious number right there. I am waiting for those pictures.

vincentm is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    WOW! Very impressive. You should send a copy of this to Carroll Custom Cadillacs. They say "All Northstar's will lose their head gaskets around 100k to 140k depending on how the car has been driven, sometimes sooner sometimes later".

Yea i gotta bring that up to Tim..

drivendeville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '98 Deville

Talking Re: High Mileage Northstar Thread: Who can beat me?

I've been meaning to post here for quite sometime. First of all let me thank you all. This forum has been a wealth of knowledge and an inspiration. I have a '98 Deville that I bought in June of 2004. It had 73,000 miles on it and I paid $8,900 for it. On 11/16/11 my odometer rolled over 500,000mi. Original engine and transmission. Only thing that's been done is fluid and filter changes, plugs and wires. No electrical problems but as far as the rest of the mechanicals it would be easier to tell you what hasn't been replaced. Still original are the starter, master cylinder and power steering pump. I still drive it about 5,000 miles a month,in fact today it turned over 505,000 miles. It still likes WOT and I wouldn't be afraid to go get in it right now and take it across the country. Btw..it's only been to a dealership once since I've had it for a fuel pump. Again, thank you all, Jeff
    Attached Images
    curtc, curtc, maeng9981 and 11 others like this.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

^Did he just win this thread?

cadillac_tech is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX

WOW, 500k! I was going to brag on my wife's '97 ETC at 180,000. I just resealed that thing top and bottom because it was starting to drip oil and I figured the head bolts were next. I guess it has another 300k left.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Holy high mileage Northstars Batman! I do believe we have a winner. Have you sacrificed virgins to the Northstar Gods?

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    ^Did he just win this thread?
    its sure damm possible i think he did

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Holy high mileage Northstars Batman! I do believe we have a winner. Have you sacrificed virgins to the Northstar Gods?
    i think he must have been having been giving up his children to the N-Gods for the last 7 years or so 1 A YEAR I bet lol

----------

I am just about to turn 192k but i don't know if i count since the engine only has 29k on it lol

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.