High Mileage Northstar Thread: Who can beat me? - Page 13
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
Like Tree141Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, High Mileage Northstar Thread: Who can beat me? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; '97 Eldorado 116,000 leaks like a sieve, runs better than new; Timeserted at 91,459. I really think the secret to ...
    MrEldo97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

Re: High Mileage Northstar Thread: Who can beat me?

'97 Eldorado 116,000 leaks like a sieve, runs better than new; Timeserted at 91,459.
    I really think the secret to its smooth running was cleaning all of the carbon out of the heads and absolutely spot on cam timing when I put it all back together.

sgmu is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Seville SLS 1997

Smile Re: High Mileage Northstar Thread: Who can beat me?

215000 miles. Running back and forth 101 San Jose - Santa Barbara (294 miles, 4h on the clock every week). 25 to 25.5 miles per gallons (all data from on board computer). A comfortable and secure car.
    Engine ran fine until recently.
    Oil consumption was 1/4 per 3000 miles, until recently where it developed a leak at the oil pan seal. It seems fixing this is really a pain, from the amount of work involved (pull the transmission out, and part of the exhaust), the problems it can create (it seems there are two gaskets above and below an intermediate plate right above the oil pan, and this plate seems to support cylinder sleeves, so i don't want to move it...) and the fact that I'm not the one that will do it ($$$).
    The leak by itself does not bother me too much, but the smell when oil is projected on the exhaust is a problem, not talking about potential hazard (oil and a very very hot catalytic converter).
    I tried "unclassified' mechanic: cleaning, degreasing, pull bolt one at a time, clean them, prep them, add sealant, torque back to 10 lb*ft, and add sealant all over the seal on the outside. Worked very well where I had access. But not where I can't access (over the exhaust).
    Anyone with any experience of trying to cut the exhaust line and add one flange (before it goes back over the transmission) so no more need to take the transmission off to change the oil pan seal?
    Thank you.

Kick94sts is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1994 sts

Quote Originally Posted by Mountie View Post
    My '93 STS has some of the 'unlucky' engine problems like little oil leaks. I replaced the Northstar with a simular milage used one, even though I serviced much of the engine bay issues like the wiring harness, changed out as much of the gaskets /oil seals I could. The main problem ( besides the GM Manufacturer's DEFECT headgaskets that GM screwed everyone on, by IGNORING IT)

It's replacement parts!! Injector - plastic fittings & vacuum parts are not around anymore. Fortunatly, I have the entire spare injector assy & throttle body.
    Unfortunatly, the fun is gone working on my car because I don't have the diagnostic tools.
    I am selling mine, for a very nice '93 Mercedes 500 SL, that won't have a headgasket problem.

what wheels do you have on your sts?

DevilleDeeman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS LuxII, 2008 Saturn Vue XR, 2011 CTS4 Premium

Have 241'000 kms on my '03 Deville and still running strong. No major power-train problems yet...knock on wood. Routine maintenance keeps your Northstar running for a long time.

thewireman* is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 Cadillac Deville

With newly addition- Jakes Studs, it is now going over 140,000 miles and counting. Purrs like a kitten... really happy with it! Thanks again Jake!

-1999 Deville

jimsbox is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 DHS

2000 DHS has 297000 miles on it, never had the engine open, just checked for combustion gases in coolant due to recent overheating related to broken engine mount but no head gasket problem. Also no tranny issues.

mitw44 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 Sedan Deville 4.9V8 1998 Sedan Deville Northstar V8

My 98 Deville has 165,000 miles on it. I bought it two months ago, and use it as a daily driver on a 100 mile roundtrip commute to work. This car runs great, lots of power.

I talked to the previous owner, and there has been no engine work done on it. He is one of those guys who keeps all the maintenance records, and keeps on top of the maintenance. It also was garage kept. He sold it because he just bought a 2006 Caddy.

A few other things have been replaced, such as the A/C compressor, but nothing engine related.

The 98 Deville is a great looking car. Much better than anything put out today, including the new cadillacs. Plus it gets 27 mpg. Thats pretty good considering it is a full size sedan (a real full size sedan means something different today than 11 years ago evidently - A current year Ford Taurus is not a full size sedan in my opinion). Why can't car companies make a car as good as the ones made 11 years ago?

As long as this baby runs, I have no plans to buy another car, even if it means I am driving it 10 years from now.

robertcopeland69 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

96 deville.252,000.engine runs good no blow by or anything.uses and leaks oil.i think it leaks more than it uses.i would say a quart between 900 and 1500 miles.have a front seal out on the tranny i havent had the time to replace.due to that i dont drive it very much anymore.i start it up once a week and drive it a few blocks.theres always a puddle of tranny fluid under it.other than the front seal this has been the best caddie i have ever had.i have put 122,000 miles on it since i have had it.

Clem8fan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 STS

I've got a 00 STS, 134,000 original miles. Only major work has been a radiator replacement about 2 months ago. I found paperwork that the tranny was rebuilt at about 105,000 but no HG problems to date (knock on wood). Interior is beautiful and the ride is nice and soft as well. My father-in-law just bought a 06 STS with about 19,000 on it and I wouldn't trade it in an even swap. The newer ones are a little stiffer it seems and the interior isn't on the same level as the Seville STS.

niffkhan123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 cadillac concours

my 1994 concours has 225,000 kms not miles.. its still running strong.. just a little bit of oil leak from the rear main seal and thats it... just changed the water pump...

Scally Al is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 eldorado ETC

i have a 2002 eldorado and i have 112700 mi

thewireman* is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 Cadillac Deville

Quote Originally Posted by thewireman* View Post
    With newly addition- Jakes Studs, it is now going over 140,000 miles and counting. Purrs like a kitten... really happy with it! Thanks again Jake!

-1999 Deville
    Now I'm pushing over 150,000 with no issues. Well I just had to change spark plug wires, but nothing else!

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

just droped of at shop to have HG's doen with 144k oh yeah almost forgot its a 2000 sls

valhallas_odin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 STS

2000 STS 168,000 pcm p0300 code now (coils on there way) and front right axle is knocking....Otherwise i love my caddy

steelerfan10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 sts

2000 sts with 237000 miles on original motor. still a joy to drive. no major issues except sensors, wheel bearings, and oil blow by problem. love that car!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.