Cadillac Owners Forum banner
256K views 511 replies 289 participants last post by  jmlcaton 
#1 ·
I have a 97 DeVille with 107400 original miles, which I know is not much compared to some of you. To figure out whether or not I can expect much more out of this engine, I would love to see how many of you have Northstars with higher mileage. If your engine is not the original, please let us know. Any major problems along the way would also be helpful, with mileages. I think that a thread like this could really help some of us anticipate problems and estimate the life of our engines!

Thanks,
Jim

My entry:
107400 miles original
no known major problems
now leaks a little oil (began around 100k)

#265 ·
Blew head gasket at 280k so bought a yard engine with 65k from an 02, pulled the heads, studded then installed. While cradle was out replaced entire poweresteering system, front and rear wheel bearings, all rotors and calipers, 3 brake lines, control arms, drive axles, struts on fron, tradiator, condenser, ac compressor,all hoses ac and coolant, both belts, both tensioners, and a 90k trans( which failed in 128 miles). The original trans was working perfectly, just swapped it out since cradle was out. Long story short, had a shop put in a Jaspers rebuild, failed in less than 100 miles. They would not stand behind the labor warranty so I was stuck with another $750 for labor, the new rebuilt lasted about 30k miles. This time they chose to honor their labor warranty (!00k or 3 years Parts & Labor). While i don't feel they stand behind their warranty the way they should, as all the labor on the 3 Jaspers transmissions was performed by one of their approved shops, they did supply replacement units quickly. I wouldn]t do business with them in the future, I was within a millisecond of suing them if they didn]t cover the labor on the 3rd unit. The last unit shifts a little hard sometimes but I don't believe they have the skills to rebuild a 4T80E. The rest of the rebuild has held up fine so far.

#268 ·
Over half a million mi. is very unusual for a N engine (or any engine) but for the rest of us its not if but when those HG are gonna give up because as I understand they will blow..And nobody on this forum can tell you when. But on a long trip it will be constantly on your mind. Cadillac engineers should have been on top of this one but just like the caddy diesels the customer has to be their proving ground. I had a diesel Cadillac and it was a nightmare.I used to leave the keys in it so somebody would steal it but no such luck..This will be my last Cadillac. Their nothing but money pits.(at least the older ones are) not sure of the newer ones but I dont worry about newer cant afford them..So for those of you who have had good luck (so far) I'm happy for you. And for those who have had the luck that I have had you have my deepest sympathy..Iam 77 yrs old and apparently havent learned my lesson yet. Yes Im too old to work on this car anymore and I have to pay to have it done and my pockets arnt that deep anymore........................98 Deville 160,000 mi. Oh I still like it though...

#271 ·
Re: Northstar Engine High Mileage Club

Please do some searching before starting another thread on a subject that is, and has, been covered extensively.

This thread will be merged with the original, in Northstar Performance.