Cleaning fuel injectors
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Cleaning fuel injectors in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; At what mileage should the fuel injectors be cleaned and what are some symptoms that they need cleaning? I have ...
    dom418 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Cleaning fuel injectors

At what mileage should the fuel injectors be cleaned and what are some symptoms that they need cleaning? I have a 98 eldo with 50,000

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Cleaning fuel injectors

I have 98K and have never cleaned them. Last car ('92 Deville) had 125K and never cleaned them. Unless it starts missingand you are sure it is not ignition, I'd leave well enough alone.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

You shouldn't need to clean them. Most gas has enough detergent to keep them clean.

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I agree with Ranger and zonie77, the injectors do not require cleaning. If you're having driveability or starting issues, look at the wires or plugs. I've never heard of a "required" injector cleaning. The only time I've heard of anybody cleaning injectors was pure paranoia and that wasn't the problem after all. Look at the fuel pressure regulator, wires, and plugs before you go yanking injectors out of there.
    Mike

dom418 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have replaced the fuel pressure regulator, plugs, wires, even did a top engine clean but I continue to have a slight rough idle when the car is cold. Once it warms up, it runs great. It kinda sounds like I have a performance cam or something. The dealer was trying to recommend cleaning the injectors. Any other ideas on what it could be? It is not bad enough to set off the service engine light but it is more of an annoyance than anything. I was thinking a coil but would the problem get better once the car is warm.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

It is possible to need a cleaning. You could run a can of inj cleaner and see what happens. You have to be careful though. Too high a concentration will hurt the fuel pump. It attacks the insulation on the windings.

Follow the instructions, add it at the gas station and then fill the tank.

gman is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Check your intake manifold bolts! I had the same problem with my 98 eldo(check postings in seville/eldo forum). My theory is that the bolts may be loose and that will cause a small vacuum leak. As the vehicle warms up, the small gap between the manifold and the engine decreases. It is a simple process and it will save you time and money if you check bolt tightness. If they are loose, tighten them to 10Nm.

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

My engine with 67k needed injector service... at least 2 injectors were stuck open enough to stream fuel.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.