New to North stars
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, New to North stars in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; hey guys well I am looking into buying my first caddy a 98 deville with a north star I have ...
    98DUBville is offline Cadillac Owners Member

New to North stars

hey guys well I am looking into buying my first caddy a 98 deville with a north star I have a few worries I hear a few people saying that North star is a bad engine and that caddys give alot of electrical problems. If so can some of you guys tell me what I should look into replaceing to avoid being stranded. And really how good is the north start engine??? Thanks for the help fellas

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

freefaller07 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: New to North stars

It is a great engine and it was designed to be almost maintenance free. Just replace the filters and change oil with this engine. It is idiot proof, with OBD and several warning lights and MIL's. Very reliable engine, has never gave me any problems and mine is goin on 200,000 miles. It is also a very powerful engine and I guarantee you will be suprised by the power, everyone is. There several things to check out before you buy the car to insure it will be a good one in the future. Also look at how it was past cared for. Give us more info about the deville.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

If you don't know the vehicles history, change the coolant and add the cooling system suppliment tabs. The biggest problem the Northstar has (to my knowledge) is head gaskets going bad and that is mostly from lack of maintanence. I'd error on the safe side an change coolant every 3-4 years.

Mine has 98K and has been relatively trouble free.

STS 310 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

Funny thing is, if you open the surge tank, and you see a "sludge", it will be becasue someone put the supplement in the surge tank. Not good enough. It needs to go into the hose for optimum results.

danbuc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)

People only say it's crap, becuase they are afraid of it. They fear, that which they do not understand.

cool I feel much more confident in buying this caddy well Its in very very good condition the leather is really good no rips no wears its as soft as a pillow it is owned by a 60 something yr old man he is the original owner it has 114,000,000 miles but I sure hope it holds up the car runs super smoothe the only thing it has wrong is that it has some kind of message saying something about the suspension on the dash board. the engine is really clean and oil looks brand ass new and the body has not one scratch dent crack nothing looks like the car spent alot of time in the garage but then again it has alot of miles so mabeay the guy usto travel alot who knows but either way its a very nice caddy. I will shot some pics of her once i take her home. Thanks for the help fellas

cool I feel much more confident in buying this caddy well Its in very very good condition the leather is really good no rips no wears its as soft as a pillow it is owned by a 60 something yr old man he is the original owner it has 114,000 miles but I sure hope it holds up the car runs super smoothe the only thing it has wrong is that it has some kind of message saying something about the suspension on the dash board. the engine is really clean and oil looks brand ass new and the body has not one scratch dent crack nothing looks like the car spent alot of time in the garage but then again it has alot of miles so mabeay the guy usto travel alot who knows but either way its a very nice caddy. I will shot some pics of her once i take her home. Thanks for the help fellas

1fastSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

my cadillac was purchased last year, i have a 99 which is 6 yrs old. has 52,000 miles, from when i bought it with 19,000 miles, Zero problems so far!
    what ive done to it, cosists of porting out my intake box, corsa exhaust w/ high flow cat, switches water pump to updated 02-04 pump as preventative maintenance.
    the psark plugs r good til 100,000 miles, and theres not one thing to complain about, starts up everytime, no leaks, excellent power, drives like a bed on wheels LOL
    hope this helps your decision.
    its also not usually the car, its the mechanic, and its also how you treat your car.

freefaller07 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

The suspension message will be SERVICE RIDE CONTROL. This is a very common problem with all the cadillac's. The cars originally come with a electronic controled suspension and struts. One fail in the system usually causes the message to come up on the DIC. There are many threads with more detail about the Ride Control out there, just do a search. Be sure to also check the codes by holding the off and warmer buttons with the ignition in the on position. Hold them for 3-4 sec approx. till the SES light comes on and it will run through all the codes on the DIC. Be sure to have pen and paper to write them all down. These codes will notify you of all problems with the car. Get back to us soon.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.