Long Crankin
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Long Crankin in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hey, My 96 Eldo sometimes requires about a 10 sec crank over to start. This seems excessive compared to my ...
    Benlomand is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 96 ETC, 93 Deville

Long Crankin

Hey,
    My 96 Eldo sometimes requires about a 10 sec crank over to start. This seems excessive compared to my other vehicles. I don't put my foot on the gas at all and at times I smell gas too. Runs great once running and the mileage on my last trip averaged 22+mpg. What's up?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Long Crankin

Could I be losing fuel pressure at the injectors? Did I see something on the forum about fuel rail recalls?

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Fuel pressure regulator may be leaking.

turboost is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I just bought a 96 sts and before we left town it had a 5 second crank which I thought was weird. So I turned it off and tryed it again and it started right up but I did smell some gas but nothing on the ground. Does this sound like a FP regulator problem?

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

yes

Saw another long post on this same problem. I'm calling the dealer first to see if I've had the recall on the fuel rail and go from there. My problem occurs only when the engine is warm.

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I'm betting on the fuel pressure regulator. When the recall is done to replace the fuel rail, they re-use the original FPR, so having the recall done won't fix anything. If it's losing pressure due to cracking of the fuel rail, you will smell gas. You still need to get the fuel rail recall done even if you replace the FPR before that, or you could have them put a new FPR on it while they're doing the recall. Not sure what that would cost.
    Mike

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Quote Originally Posted by Benlomand
    Saw another long post on this same problem. I'm calling the dealer first to see if I've had the recall on the fuel rail and go from there. My problem occurs only when the engine is warm.

Simply open the hood and look at the fuel rail. If it is plastic then the recall has not been done. It is is stainless steel tubing then it has had the recall completed.

The FPR is equally easy to check. With the engine idling, pull the vacuum hose off the FPR. Watch the vacuum nipple for several minutes for any sign of fuel seeping out. There should be none.

97BlueDeville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06' DTS

Bob.. You're very smart!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.