N*--Built by ISUZU????
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, N*--Built by ISUZU???? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; My father's coworker just bought a 1997 Seville, and my father heard from his coworker that the Nortstar is built ...
    I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '14 Honda Accord LX

N*--Built by ISUZU????

My father's coworker just bought a 1997 Seville, and my father heard from his coworker that the Nortstar is built in japan by Isuzu?!?!? I know on the engine cover it says "built exclusivly for cadillac by general motors", which could explain this. I always thought the N* was built in America by Cadillac. Is it true, a Cadillac motor built in Japan???

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Spyder is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.

Re: N*--Built by ISUZU????

Not true at all... don't know where that info came from, unless, of course, I'M mistaken...

danbuc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)

WHAT!!! . If any GM engine is built in Japan, it's probably those Ecotec 4 bangers they use in the Saturns and stuff. I hear they blow a lot of head gaskets.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Northstar, made in Japan
    It's made in Lavonia Michigan.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

I can positively assure you that the Northstar engine is currently, and always has been, manufactured in Livonia, Michigan. It is not made in Japan..... There was no involvement whatsoever with Isuzu on the Northstar engine.

The Ecotec engine is also manufactured in the US at Tonawanda, NY. There are several different versions of the Ecotec engine as it was designed as a global engine. It is also manufactured by Saab and in Germany for Europe. It is not made in Japan.

Possibly the Isuzu rumor started with the Isuzu connection with the diesel engine in GM trucks. The Duramax was a joint design and development project between GM Powertrain and Isuzu. The Duramax is manufactured in the US, also, but it obviously has an Isuzu/Japanese heritage of sorts.

Eric2203 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

To stay on the subject, I was once told that the N* was designed by Yamaha, which I found very strange, lol. Although I wouldn't know... but that'd be the first I hear of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric2203
    To stay on the subject, I was once told that the N* was designed by Yamaha, which I found very strange, lol. Although I wouldn't know... but that'd be the first I hear of it.

No....it wasn't designed by Yamaha....nor Lotus....nor Oldsmobile....nor Cosworth...nor Mercury Marine....nor Warren Johnson...nor Ilmor...nor..... all of which I have heard at one time or another were "rumored" to have designed or developed or participated in the origination of the Northstar engine.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Quote Originally Posted by Eric2203
    The Taurus SHO V6 was a Yamaha engine.... maybe someone was just very confused on which engine he was talking about.

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Quote Originally Posted by bbob
    No....it wasn't designed by ....Oldsmobile....all of which I have heard at one time or another were "rumored" to have designed or developed or participated in the origination of the Northstar engine.
    Really? Someone on here claimed that it was developed by Oldsmobile, but Cadillac "stole" it for thier cars!

So the Northstar is a purely Cadillac originated design?

cadydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94' Fleetwood, 95 RT/10 Viper, 2006 Honda XR650L.

i herd john deere had a hand in building the n*

*rolls eyes*

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Oldsmobile built a prototype "quad 8"... there are a few pics of it floating around, but it vanished into thin air. It has many simularities with the northstar, but I'm pretty certain they are different builds. Makes you wonder where the original quad 8 went though...

The Northstar was a complete clean sheet of paper desing done solely by Cadillac Powertrain engineers. I can positively swear to this as I know the deisgners that did the orginal layout and architectural drawings and I was there when they were doing them. There was no involvement with Oldsmobile or any other division at the time. The Quad 4 or "Quad 8" design study had nothing in common with the Northstar. The Quad 4 was a cast iron block engine. The cobbled up Quad 8 had a completely different head design, different timing drive setup, etc... nothing in common nor was the Quad 8 even part of the original Northstar design study.

illumina is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!

Bbob...You're wrong! The Northstar was made by BMW and you know it...

I also heard that the same designer/engineer that made the 4.9 liter hybrid/mule Northstar (remember that one?) is the one who made the current generation Northstar and the last generation Northstar...Like I said, they were made in Sweden by Volvo!!!

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Wrong again, Bbob got the whole idea from the 1918 Peugeot.

morroccoz1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Lets face it, if it were built by Isuzu, it would never leak, burn oil, or blow gaskets. Considering that it does, we know it is GM. Hey don't get me wrong, I love mine, but the fact of the matter is.....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.