references for understanding the N*?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, references for understanding the N*? in Cadillac Engine Discussion; ...
    Enygma is offline Cadillac Owners Member

references for understanding the N*?

Since the majority of my engine understanding is based on the pre-computer management engine/systems, I am limited in my understanding on how the various computer/electronic systems work and interact. So, does anyone know of some basic through advanced reference manuals that I might use to educate myself? I would prefer materials focused on the Northstar but generic engine computer info would be helpful.

Within this forum, the alphabet soup is used - ECMs, ECUs, PCMs, MASs, etc., etc., etc. I understand some of them but always find I need to know more. For example, since I am transplanting a ’97 N*, I understand that I’ll need to use a computer from a ’95 or earlier N*. What systems wiil/might work and what won’t? I own and use the ’97 Northstar Factory Service Manual but I feel I’m in the dark, or at least the shadows, most of the time.

I read this forum often and search on topics but always realize there is so much more to understand. I want to truly thank all of you who have posted with explanations and suggestions. I know many of you have had years of experience with these systems and I know experience is the best teacher. Next to learning from experience or going back to school, does anyone know of books, websites, magazines, etc. that might help?

Thanks,
    ~Scott
    http://www.hevanet.com/enygma/

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Eric is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 SLS

Re: references for understanding the N*?

A good general article on Northstar at:

http://www.babcox.com/editorial/us/us100232.htm

4. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.