Difference in 275HP & 300HP Engines
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Difference in 275HP & 300HP Engines in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Could someone please tell me the difference in engine specifications in the 275HP & 300HP NorthStar engines use in the ...
    dslivingston is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Post Difference in 275HP & 300HP Engines

Could someone please tell me the difference in engine specifications in the 275HP & 300HP NorthStar engines use in the 2003 Cadillacs.

Thank You,
    David Livingston
    dlivingston@sc.rr.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ShadowLvr400 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood
    Base motor, 275@5600 horse 300@4000 torque
    Touring motor, 300@6000 horse 295@4400 torque

The difference is done be slightly different cams and timing. Not much else. The Base motors are mated to a 3.11 gear ratio, touring gets a 3.73.

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

Re: Difference in 275HP & 300HP Engines

I wonder how much of that "difference" you could really feel under normal driving conditions?

The Caddy salesman told me he couldn't really tell. And since he said it while I was sitting in a DTS, I tend to believe him. He also said that the DTS would blow the doors off of a stock '96 Fleetwood.

2 Things. 1, if you drive like I do, you'd probably notice the difference. 2, The Fleetwood, in 95, 96 with the LT1 350, will not give up a thing to the Northstars. I have a buddy with a Caprice, (basically same car) and with exhaust, intake, msd ignition, and 150,000+ miles on it. Runs mid 14's. Like a 14.5 The differences in accel will be the LT1 powered cars off the line, but the Northstar fed cars a bit farther down the track.

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

I would never bet against ANY of the modified LT1's on this forum!

Chuck C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Here's the difference....the Touring (300hp) motor has more balls than the 275 hp....it's all due to that nice gear ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck C
    Here's the difference....the Touring (300hp) motor has balls....it's all due to that nice gear ratio.

Trying to indicate my 275 horse version has no balls? You might be surprised what more torque earlier in the power band than the ETC can do.

Chuck C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowLvr400
    Trying to indicate my 275 horse version has no balls? You might be surprised what more torque earlier in the power band than the ETC can do.
    phil, didn't mean to step on your toes there...i edited my original message too. Nice car btw.

No worries Chuck, I wasn't deeply offended, just a bt annoyed. So hard to get sporting respect with a Caddy. Though the autocross did pretty well. Btw, will I be able to host the vids on here?

jonrodman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Seville STS

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck C
    Here's the difference....the Touring (300hp) motor has more balls than the 275 hp....it's all due to that nice gear ratio.

What are the shift points for the STS and SLS, and ETC. I have a 96 STS with supposedly the STS engine. It shifts 1st to 2nd between 6500-7000 RPMS at 45-50 MPH if I am on it. I was surprised that the speed was that high. I would have guessed that with 3:76 gears it would be shifting closer to 25 or 30 MPH. It is fast, but what are other people experiencing for shift points.

Based only on the shift, does anyone think I have the SLS or STS drivetrain? The car I have has had a lot of work done on it. I am still trying to figure out what I have.

Jon
    96STS

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis
    I would never bet against ANY of the modified LT1's on this forum!
    People go nuts on the 5.7 L Chevy's. There is every conceivable modification available. Some of those 5.7s can make more than three times as much power as a Northstar. They could have Nitrous, Superchargers, Turbo chargers, custom aluminum blocks, stroker cranks, and there are 32 Valve heads available. With some modifications people rev them up to 8000 RPMs. The Northstar is a great engine, but so far to my knowledge people have not been modifying them very much.

I would love to see a turbo kit come along. I am sure someone has probably installed a 5.7L in a Seville.

Jon
    96STS

CBOYLE is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX AWD Premium 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by dslivingston
    Could someone please tell me the difference in engine specifications in the 275HP & 300HP NorthStar engines use in the 2003 Cadillacs.

Thank You,
    David Livingston
    dlivingston@sc.rr.com
    wife drives a 1999 sls (275hp) i have a 2001 dts (300hp)
    i agree with the difference is BALLS.
    even with the weight of the dts it is still a rocket!
    wish i could persuade her to a drag race!
    charlie

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowLvr400
    No worries Chuck, I wasn't deeply offended, just a bt annoyed. So hard to get sporting respect with a Caddy. Though the autocross did pretty well. Btw, will I be able to host the vids on here?
    I would love to see the autocross videos. Are they available on the web somewhere?

dkrj is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonrodman
    What are the shift points for the STS and SLS, and ETC. I have a 96 STS with supposedly the STS engine. It shifts 1st to 2nd between 6500-7000 RPMS at 45-50 MPH if I am on it. I was surprised that the speed was that high. I would have guessed that with 3:76 gears it would be shifting closer to 25 or 30 MPH. It is fast, but what are other people experiencing for shift points.

Based only on the shift, does anyone think I have the SLS or STS drivetrain? The car I have has had a lot of work done on it. I am still trying to figure out what I have.

Jon
    96STS
    i have a 97 sts and it shifts the same between 6500 & 7000rpm 1-2 shift.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrj
    i have a 97 sts and it shifts the same between 6500 & 7000rpm 1-2 shift.
    Do you know what speed are you traveling when your 97STS shifts at 6500-7000 rpms? Is it around 45-50 mph or less?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.