Water Pump ?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Water Pump ? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; what is the belt that drives the water pump? does it have to do with timing at all? Just got ...
    daddys caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Water Pump ?

what is the belt that drives the water pump? does it have to do with timing at all? Just got done waxing the caddy before i was going to pocanos letting it warm up and all the sudden puddle underneath car water pump i dont know yet
    but are there any links to changing water pump

PLEASE HELP

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1996deVille is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Water Pump ?

Well, this job is not the worst job on these cars to be sure. The leak is probably coming from the thermostat housing gasket - or the seal behind the water pump.

I'm guessing you have a few miles on this car, so replacing the pump is more than likely necessary. You'll need a special tool to take the pump out and replace it. The job takes about 4/5 hours if you replace ALL the hoses in the process - again, probably necessary. The pump is left handed so turn clockwise to take out and counter clockwise to install.

The belt runs the water pump - get a new belt because you'll have to take it off to get to the water pump and might as well get this done in the process.

Cad will charge you between $350 and $500 for the pump and around $700 for the hoses/belt. I did this job myself and kept the dollars in my pocket. It is not a difficult job, but the tool is usually special order and not rentable, so it takes a few days to get it.

Good luck!!!

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by daddys caddy
    what is the belt that drives the water pump? does it have to do with timing at all? Just got done waxing the caddy before i was going to pocanos letting it warm up and all the sudden puddle underneath car water pump i dont know yet
    but are there any links to changing water pump

PLEASE HELP
    The only thing the water pump has to do with timing is that it is driven off the intake cam. Probably the easiest water pump you'll ever change. Just release the belt, remove the front cover, then remove the pump cartridge as previously mentioned. Be advised, it is a cam lock, not threaded so it won't take more than 1/8 - 1/4 turn to remove or install it with the "special tool" (socket).

THAT belt that runs the water pump ? the pulley is leaking around the shaft whats that about and thank you for the info on water pump?

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

It must be the seal in the waterpump.

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Are you going to do this job yourself or take it somewhere? I replaced my water pump for about $100 all said and done in the garage including coolant and the Bar's Leaks. If you're going to do this yourself, search the forums and you'll find lots of good information on what to expect and how to do the job right. I didn't replace any hoses on mine and everything is still A-OK at 93.5K miles.

Let us know if you need some advice and how this works out for you... Good luck!
    Mike

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

THAT belt that runs the water pump ? the pulley is leaking around the shaft whats that about and thank you for the info on water pump?
    I have not had to do a pump yet so I am not speaking from expireience. That's probably because I took the time to make a pump removal socket and that virtually guarantees I'll never need it. That said, I believe there is a seal ("O" ring I think) at the pulley side of the pump that may be leaking. The pulley is part of the pump and it passes thought a hole in the pump housing so it must be sealed. Hope that makes sense.

Ranger,

Right on!! The o ring flattens out and coolant leaks past - that's why one must be a little careful when tightening down on the replacement pump, you'll get one real good shot at it. If the o ring slips out of its recessed pocket it might get "pinched" and become useless...

My car is a '96 and had 113K so I needed hoses, belt/s, the whole deal - while I was in there it just made sense to do it all.

Your mileage may vary.

Thank you all for the info very informative,the pulley that comes from the valve cover is leaking are there seals that can be replaced for that part of this operation? AGAIN THANK YOU ALL

Twilightcall is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Also the waterpump is reverse thread (even though there are no threads). This means tighten is left. Left handed thread basically.

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Thank you all for the info very informative,the pulley that comes from the valve cover is leaking are there seals that can be replaced for that part of this operation? AGAIN THANK YOU ALL
    If the pulley from the valve cover is leaking, it's leaking oil, not coolant. More than likely it's the pulley that drives the water pump. The bearing seal can start leaking and the pump needs to be replaced. It can also be the O ring seal behind the water pump which Ranger described. It's a pretty simple job, really, but I think it's best to replace the water pump cover gasket while you're at it and get the new O ring gasket behind the water pump if the new one doesn't come with it.
    Mike

The O ring will come with the water pump. The gasket is a separate ordered unit, this seem too large when you start to push it in the detent - putting the cover back is simple but use a little red gasket sealer (silicone RTV) around the gasket to hold it in place. It will want to pop out otherwise and you'll tighten up on a gasket not seated... once you're there you'll see what I mean.

Good luck!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.