Timesert or not?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Timesert or not? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi all, thank's for a great forum! I'm a lucky owner of a sts-93 with N*, maybe not so lucky ...
    CooL is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Seville STS

Timesert or not?

Hi all, thank's for a great forum!

I'm a lucky owner of a sts-93 with N*, maybe not so lucky now The engine have run great all the time but now it losing coolant! I did a compression test and find out that cylinder number 2 had low compression, about 3bar. All other cylinders had between 9,5-10bar. It is probably a blown head gasket so I must replace it! I have read many topics about Timesert but it is very hard(impossible) to find them here in Sweden. The question is, is it always necessary to use Timesert even if all the threads are in good contition?

Bad english, hope you understand

Thx

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

haymaker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Timesert or not?

I think most of the people here that have removed their older N* cylinder heads have found damaged block threads and didn’t have a choice as to installing the time-serts. I know when I removed the heads on my 1997 N* several of the head bolts carried the block threads out during there removal. You need the time-sert kit to repair any of the head bolts female block threads that are damaged even if it is only one bolt hole, so you do one, you might as well do them all while you are in there. IMHO even if you were lucky enough to remove the head bolts and the block threads remained intact they could yet fail during reassembly. If I were you I would just plan on time-serting all twenty head bolt holes if in fact the head gasket is proven to be the problem. The cylinder leak down test would appear to be the preferred test for a leaking head gasket. Did you email time-sert http://www.timesert.com/ and inquire as to the purchase and shipping of their repair kit?
    Good luck..

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

There was someone when I first got on the forum that had a thread fail during the final torue sequence. On the ones I did we had many holes with pulled threads, not just one per block.

I'd look into getting the timesert kit shipped to you.

Loose screw is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 concourse, 99 sts

The older the engine and/or the higher the miles, the more and more like that if you don't have to do a Time-sert to day you will very soon and tearing down an engine and putting back together really stress the threads. They don't get stronger with age and use that is for sure. With your engine being a 93 I would certainly do the Time-serts. I am doing a 94 now and all the head thread were good and looked good but I did them anyway because of all I had read and I am glade I did and they worked well but when tightening the mains down today one of those failed and they seldom do, so I think that is an strong indicator that the head threads could have gone at any time and probably would have in a few hundred or thousand miles after having gone throught the additnal stress of being reused. Don't trust them - Time-sert them, and do all the head threads.

Make sure to order enough serts the kit dosen't come with enough to do both heads.

I forgot to mention that about the kit. The kit is for 1 head. You must order another 10 inserts to do both heads.

CooL is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Seville STS

Quote Originally Posted by zonie77
    I forgot to mention that about the kit. The kit is for 1 head. You must order another 10 inserts to do both heads.
    OK, I now know what I have to order, a Timesert-kit + 10 extra inserts. Maybe we have another solution on this sida of the Atlantic, it is Kobsert. http://www.boellhoff.com/web/germany.../ko_start.html

Someone who can post a link to a cheap GM online-shop and a seller for Timsertkit?

Tanks, again!

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Kobsert=too short. Not enough threads.

www.timesert.com

You should get the info on the timesert and see if Kobert has a comparable insert. It would have to be the same or longer. Good luck. Let us know what you find.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.