2000 N* into a '96 DeVille?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 2000 N* into a '96 DeVille? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hey guys. Dumb question, but how much of a pain would it be to swap a 2000 model year N* ...
    NolieJames is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 96 DeVille

2000 N* into a '96 DeVille?

Hey guys. Dumb question, but how much of a pain would it be to swap a 2000 model year N* engine into my '96 DeVille? Or am I just asking for trouble? I'm currently battling an overheating/possible head gasket issue, and I figured since the ol' girl has 163,000 miles, I might be better off to install a new engine. Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Re: 2000 N* into a '96 DeVille?

The 2000-up engines are very different and it would not work with your '96s computer.
    So to swap, try a '99 and earlier.

Thanks very much for the help! I appreciate it. So as long as is 94-99 Y-code, it should all interchange and work with my computer, right?

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Well, the 93 and 94 engines had a different intake manifold, so if you use the one off your 96 they should work fine.
    Are you sure your Deville is the Y code? I thought it was the Deville Concours that had the Y code L37 engine. If yours is the Deville, it should be the 9 code LD8 engine.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Stick with a 95-99. You cannot just put your intake manifold on a 93/94. It will not bolt up and the EGR system will not work. The 2000 and later engines are quit different with different crank sensing schemes and sensors and the individual coil at plug ignition to name two major items. The 2000 and later PCM is TOTALLY different from the 93-99 cars and you would be looking at rewiring the entire car to begin to stat trying to put the 2000 engine in an earlier car.

I would repair the engine you have. It is likely fine if the head gaskets are replaced....

Quote Originally Posted by caddydaddy
    Well, the 93 and 94 engines had a different intake manifold, so if you use the one off your 96 they should work fine.
    Are you sure your Deville is the Y code? I thought it was the Deville Concours that had the Y code L37 engine. If yours is the Deville, it should be the 9 code LD8 engine.

Pretty sure. The eighth digit is a Y for sure, can't mistake it for a 9 very easily. And no, my DeVille isn't a Concours. So what's that mean? Do I have a special order car or what? What kind of motor did the Eldos and the STS's run? Are they 9 or Y?

danbuc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)

I think in 1996 they made the LD8 the base engien in the Deville, and the Concours got the L37. I know that my friend 1995 Deville concours has the LD8 engine, so i think the change was in 1996 along with the switch to OBDII. Bbob, you would know better than I would probably, but I think the 1996 base Deville would have the LD8 (Y) engine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.