P0741 & P1860
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, P0741 & P1860 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a friend, who has a buddy, who owns a used car lot. He came across a 2002 Deville, ...
    Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

P0741 & P1860

I have a friend, who has a buddy, who owns a used car lot. He came across a 2002 Deville, with 89,000 miles, that is in great shape. It has some minor issues, but runs fine. I ran the codes for him, and there were seven listed. Four of the codes were history, and three were current. Two of the current codes, were the P0741, and P1860. These have to do with the trans, or torque converter. Are these codes related to the sensor, that requires the trans to be removed, to replace? Is it possible, that there is a blown fuse? I am assuming that all of the sensors, and modules, have thier own fuses. The car shifts fine, and doesn't have any performance problems. the seller is asking $8,500, which I think is terrific. But, if the car needs many hundreds, or thousand dollars, to repair this, it may not be too good. Thanks for any help that can be given.

Don

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Re: P0741 & P1860

P0741.....Torque converter clutch stuck OFF
    P1860.....Torque converter clutch control circuit problem

May be as simple as a fuse....something is wrong with the torque converter clutch solenoid circuit. Could be a misadjusted or disconnected brake interlock switch (at the brake pedal).... Hard to say. If the torque converter clutch is stuck off it means that it is not applying when commanded by the PCM. This won't hurt the trans. Finding the problem will take some diagnosis. Worst case is the trans side cover has to be pulled (conventional wisdom says the trans has to be dropped) for replacement of the VCC solenoid. Search using "TCC" or "VCC" or "torque converter clutch" or "viscous converter clutch" and read up. Something seems fishy about the low price on the car aside from the code....most of the time if things seem too good to be true they are...too good to be true.

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

Bbob, thanks for the reply. When my friend first told me about the car, I asked him what was wrong with it. The dealer buddy of his, said the owner just bought a new Lexus, and just wanted to get rid of it. I drove the car myself, and there doesn't seem to be any problems mechanically. I paid close attention to the cooling system, exhaust, and the overall sound of the engine. Everything seems okay. I was very surprised, to see so many codes pop up. Especially one that is for the drivetrain. The engine runs smooth as glass. I will search the forum as you suggested. If the problem does not get remedied, considering there are no driveability problems, do you think damage will result?

Don

rclark07 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

There is a new GM bulletin on the P0741 code (#04-07-30-034) that came out, maybe six months ago. It states that you have to replace the Torque converter, the side cover and a turbine shaft. Also a gasket kit to reseal the transmission. unfortunatly requires the transmission to be removed. Its probably $1,200 in parts. If the car isn't under warranty I wouldn't suggest buying it.

cadtech is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 DTS performance,08 Performance Platinum 09 Platinum

I have seen when you have these 2 codes together the tcc solenoid connector will be burnt/melted and can be replaced without trans removal. It is trickey to do but can be done. There is always the possibilty that the converter and seals could have a probelm also. You got to ask yourself Are You Feeling Lucky

gfulton is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Cadtech, don't you still have to lower the eng., trans. and subframe to get the side cover off for access to the tcc solenoid?

cadtech is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 DTS performance,08 Performance Platinum 09 Platinum

You still have to lower the trans. enough to get the side cover off. I would take the frame/cradle assemble right off and then lower the trans./engine down enough to get the cover off. It looks a little scarey when you do it but it doen't seem to hurt anything. Just be sure you have any wires up top unconnected so you don't break them when you lower it down. Cadtech

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.