Heli-Coil removal?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By 97EldoCoupe
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Heli-Coil removal? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hey guys, I am hoping you can provide some insight in my current situation. I am in getting ready to ...
    arctic_man is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Concours, 1995 SLS

Heli-Coil removal?

Hey guys, I am hoping you can provide some insight in my current situation. I am in getting ready to stud a N* with CCC studs, but the car was previously worked on and had helicoils installed before! So I have a couple of questions. I am told that a screwdriver filed down at about a 10 degree angle can get the coils out. Does anyone have a picture of this by chance? Or a different method to get them out? I know there is a helicoil removal tool, will that work? Lastly, I am assuming I cannot just drill them out, without damaging the block and digging helicoil pieces into the engine.

Any other insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Re: Heli-Coil removal?

Never had to remove one, but this should help.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=helic...ient=firefox-a

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Never had to remove one, but this should help.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=helic...ient=firefox-a
    Hi Ranger,

Thanks for the reply. I did do some google-foo before posting here too. I could not seem to find anyone to is going as deep as I am. A lot of the forum posts I found were basic removals. Not too deep. I will be ordering my studs from Carroll tomorrow. I have spoke with him previously and he mentioned the screwdriver tool also. If I am lucky, maybe he can loan it to me or send me some pictures.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Studs or not, I don't like the sound of this Heli-coil thing. That block has already been drilled and tapped oversize to accept the coils. I hope this works out OK ..............

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Studs or not, I don't like the sound of this Heli-coil thing. That block has already been drilled and tapped oversize to accept the coils. I hope this works out OK ..............
    Hi Submariner,

Thank you for the reply. I agree, helicoils are bad business. The good thing is they were installed to accommodate oem bolts. So the holes are not actually any bigger. When I was originally planning this, I spoke with Jake and Carroll about it and they said their studs will work fine with a helicoil block. That being said, if there is interest, I can post the size comparison with the coils, oem studs, and Carrolls once I get those darn things out.

My one hope is they did not use loc-tite on the helicoils. I believe you are not supposed to, but instructions usually can't fix stupid. The car never overheated before I put it away, so no concern on the block, but I do not want to take a torch to the bolt holes if I can avoid it.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

There were some pictures - maybe here in Northstar Performance - a couple of years back - someone was removing Heli-coils from a Northstar block by twisting one end out - sort of like collapsing a spring by twisting it smaller in diameter. I have removed several from iron blocks - no fun; no fun at all.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    You bought the studs from Tim, ive seen him remove helicoils from a Deville before, hit him up

Carrollcadillac@live.com

97EldoCoupe is online now Owner of Northstar Performance
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

Drill until you hit the heli-coil. That steel wire is very hard, you can't drill it. Tap the drill up and down on the top of the coil while the drill is turning, apply a bit of pressure. It will catch the coil, unwind it to the point where a part of it is protruding above the deck surface. Take the drill out of the hole, grab the wire with a pair of pliers and pull it out. It will unwind and come out. Works every time.
    arctic_man and 04GrandAmGT like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 97EldoCoupe View Post
    Drill until you hit the heli-coil. That steel wire is very hard, you can't drill it. Tap the drill up and down on the top of the coil while the drill is turning, apply a bit of pressure. It will catch the coil, unwind it to the point where a part of it is protruding above the deck surface. Take the drill out of the hole, grab the wire with a pair of pliers and pull it out. It will unwind and come out. Works every time.
    Hi Jake,

Thank you for the reply. This is exactly what I was looking for. Hopefully, I can get drilling this week and post some results. My friend and I started this back in late May. So far it has been pretty fun, but we took off the heads and saw how far down the helicoils were and just shared a few curse words.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.