Wanted to clean EGR but what have those engineers done now
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Wanted to clean EGR but what have those engineers done now in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Went to pull the EGR valve on my 95 Deville Coucours, should be simple right? Two bolts holding it on ...
    jsjag is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville Concours

Wanted to clean EGR but what have those engineers done now

Went to pull the EGR valve on my 95 Deville Coucours, should be simple right? Two bolts holding it on and away we go but nope. Some engineer decided to mount the fuel rail on top of the oine EGR mounting bolts. What!!!!!!

Really? Seriously? Will this simple 15 minute job turn into hours or am I missing something?
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Re: Wanted to clean EGR but what have those engineers done now

It probably looks totally different with the engine on a stand.
    We always swore the engineers should be the first ones to work on there creations.

Lightbulb Re: Wanted to clean EGR but what have those engineers done now

Been reading about this matter. There may have been a recall or retrofit to the stainless fuel rail. I'm guessing that it was out of the realm of engineering to create a two part fuel rail attachment at the EGR that would allow removal from the EGR bolt.

Engineering disasters cost we the consumer a lot of money and I consider this EGR arrangement to be a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by amunderdog View Post
    It probably looks totally different with the engine on a stand.
    We always swore the engineers should be the first ones to work on there creations.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Nope, you're not missing anything. I can't recall for sure, but I though it was a bit easier after the recall was accomplished and the SS fuel rail was installed. You have had that done, right?

We got the car in 07 and it had already had an engine replacement. If it is SS it is poor quality because I can see rust on the outside but maybe it is poor quality. Other than the engine transplant that the previous owner had done, I've only done tuneup stuff.

If there was a recall could it still be in effect? Is there a dangerous defect hazard that I don't know about. Sometimes things for as long as the life of the car. My attack seat belts in the Jaguar are warrantied for life.

If the recall still used the same method to attach the rail, I doubt if it is easier. If there is a lifetime recall I could call the local caddie dealer and maybe they can run the vin. It is a Calif. car and I am in the northeast.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Nope, you're not missing anything. I can't recall for sure, but I though it was a bit easier after the recall was accomplished and the SS fuel rail was installed. You have had that done, right?

Recalls are safety related and I do not believe there is an expiration date. If your recall was done you will have a SS fuel rail. If not, it will be a black nylon rail (yellow arrow) running from injector to injector like the picture.

This diagram shows the individual nylon "rail" between injectors.

This is what the SS rail will look like.

Attached Images

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

call any cadillac dealer and have them run your VIN through the warranty/recall system and it will show up if it is still out there
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

The car is at work with my wife but I am fairly certain that I have the second picture with the SS rail.

But if I remember the supply lines look like those in the first picture and I definitely have the connector piece that fits over the EGR bolt.

I don't have a quick connect tool to loosen the fuel rail/supply lines but I can get one.&nbsp;&nbsp; I'm just PO'd at the moment that I have to go through the extra work to remove the rail that IMHO is crazy. I have 6 cars in my house and I am always busy on them. Well make that 5 cars because two weeks ago the XJ40 engine seized and I have no idea why.

This I do know, I've had the EGR off every one of our cars (to clean them) except the Caddie and without an exception I had them removed in 15 minutes or less.

Recalls are safety related and I do not believe there is an expiration date. If your recall was done you will have a SS fuel rail. If not, it will be a black nylon rail (yellow arrow) running from injector to injector like the picture.

This diagram shows the individual nylon "rail" between injectors.

This is what the SS rail will look like.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The straight runs on the steel fuel rail are covered in a black plastic shield that incorporates the injector locks. Don't let the black plastic sway your view- the rails LOOK very different.

If the XJ-40 engine is anything like the old XJ-140 MC engine, the crank split in half at the center main bearing.

I put a socket on the crank pulley nut and had a big breaker bar, that sucker would not budge! Had the car 13.5 years and got my money's worth but now I am jag-less. The first time in almost 19 years that I am jag-less.

I know that I saw rust (#00 steel wool would probably take off) on the outside of the rail and it has to be metal. IMHO it isn't the best grade of SS. I have a SS counter out of a commercial kitchen and I use it outside. It has been sitting outside for 30 years and there is only rust at one or two the weld spots.

I'll double check tonight when my wife gets home and post a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    The straight runs on the steel fuel rail are covered in a black plastic shield that incorporates the injector locks. Don't let the black plastic sway your view- the rails LOOK very different.

If the XJ-40 engine is anything like the old XJ-140 MC engine, the crank split in half at the center main bearing.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Ive always like Jaguars

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    The straight runs on the steel fuel rail are covered in a black plastic shield that incorporates the injector locks.
    Not if it was a recall replacement. As I recall those where plain old shiny SS.

Here is what my fuel rail looks like.
    Attached Images

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Not if it was a recall replacement. As I recall those where plain old shiny SS.
    Yup ^^^ - Whole different critter from the 2000 and later rails. Live and learn.

maeng9981 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

I remember it was quite easy to shift that out of the stud.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.