Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Whats all the hullaballoo about M1 in the Northstar??? I used Mobil 1 from day one in my 91 Continental ...
    JOENH is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil

Whats all the hullaballoo about M1 in the Northstar??? I used Mobil 1 from day one in my 91 Continental (Bought it with 12K mileage). This is the worst car I have ever owned in 43 years of driving. Replaced every front and rear brake, hydraulics, motor mts, air bags, alternators, any many other components!, at least twice!! The motor has just turned 180K +. No smoke, runs like a top, uses about a quart of oil every 1600 miles. I changed the oil every 6K (As I feel oils are better these days then when I was hotrodding back in the 50's and 60's when I used to do the every 3K routine myself). I believe my 99 Caddy warranty book recommends a regular oil change every 7500 miles. I own a 99 Seville which I absolutely love. It just turned 48K. I have followed the 6K M1 oil change on the Caddie. I do not have one oil spot on garage floor. She doesn't smoke. She goes about 1500 miles before needing a quart of oil. Should I be worried!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jonrodman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Seville STS

Re: Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil

Quote Originally Posted by JOENH
    Whats all the hullaballoo about M1 in the Northstar??? I used Mobil 1 from day one in my 91 Continental (Bought it with 12K mileage). This is the worst car I have ever owned in 43 years of driving. Replaced every front and rear brake, hydraulics, motor mts, air bags, alternators, any many other components!, at least twice!! The motor has just turned 180K +. No smoke, runs like a top, uses about a quart of oil every 1600 miles. I changed the oil every 6K (As I feel oils are better these days then when I was hotrodding back in the 50's and 60's when I used to do the every 3K routine myself). I believe my 99 Caddy warranty book recommends a regular oil change every 7500 miles. I own a 99 Seville which I absolutely love. It just turned 48K. I have followed the 6K M1 oil change on the Caddie. I do not have one oil spot on garage floor. She doesn't smoke. She goes about 1500 miles before needing a quart of oil. Should I be worried!!!
    If you are asking if you should be worried because it does not leak or smoke, then you need to spend some time with a shrink. I hate to break the news to you, but cars are not supposed to leak or smoke. If you are not sure, just take it back to the dealer and tell them that you have a problem. Your problem is that there is not anything dripping out of the car, and there is not any smoke coming out of the back.
    If you need leaks and smoke, they you should have purchased a Hyundai.

I use Mobil 1 in all my cars and don't have any engine problems. I am guilty of practicing the extended oil interval theory. Good or Bad, it is working for me so far.

Keep the mop and mask handy. You may need them within the next 300,000 miles.

Jon
    96STS

Quote Originally Posted by jonrodman
    If you are asking if you should be worried because it does not leak or smoke, then you need to spend some time with a shrink. I hate to break the news to you, but cars are not supposed to leak or smoke. If you are not sure, just take it back to the dealer and tell them that you have a problem. Your problem is that there is not anything dripping out of the car, and there is not any smoke coming out of the back.
    If you need leaks and smoke, they you should have purchased a Hyundai.

I use Mobil 1 in all my cars and don't have any engine problems. I am guilty of practicing the extended oil interval theory. Good or Bad, it is working for me so far.

Keep the mop and mask handy. You may need them within the next 300,000 miles.

Jon
    96STS
    Jon, tnx for your understanding reply. My question was not geared to the use of M1 in my Northstar (I'm comfortable with the oil!!!), but more to the auto technocrats in these columns who are having fits with the use of M1 into Northstars! I have read too many postings as such.

Jon, tnx for your understanding reply. My question was not geared to the use of M1 in my Northstar (I'm comfortable with the oil!!!), but more to the auto technocrats in these columns who are having fits with the use of M1 into Northstars! I have read too many postings as such.
    I agree, For all the others who don't like Mobil 1, they are free to do whatever they like. I think Mobil 1 is one of the best oils. It is not magic, just a very good oil. It actually is oil. It is not teflon, it is not particles of graphite, it is oil (hydrocarbon chains). I also think the Northstar engine is one of the best engines. Why not put the best oil in the best engine?

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

If you are on a tight budget, another good choice is valvoline SynPower........ Their detergent pacakge is a little better than M1..... I use only valvoline products in my car........

I really hate to see people go extended periods without changing the oil.......! What makes you think you can go longer..... Sure, the oil may LAST that long, but its so chuck full of crap that its still doing harm.... Just because it doesnt smoke doesnt mean its not wearing internally.....! IF you want to have a high mileage engine running good, regular oil changes BELOW 6000 is key....... But if you dont care, then thats OK too.......

OIL IS CHEAP!! REPLACE IT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by elwesso
    If you are on a tight budget, another good choice is valvoline SynPower........ Their detergent pacakge is a little better than M1..... I use only valvoline products in my car........

I really hate to see people go extended periods without changing the oil.......! What makes you think you can go longer..... Sure, the oil may LAST that long, but its so chuck full of crap that its still doing harm.... Just because it doesnt smoke doesnt mean its not wearing internally.....! IF you want to have a high mileage engine running good, regular oil changes BELOW 6000 is key....... But if you dont care, then thats OK too.......

OIL IS CHEAP!! REPLACE IT!!!
    Hi Sipes,

I agree. I appreciate the design and quality of the STS and plan on maintaining it as well as possible. I expect that it will go a long time without any big problems. I anticipate regular oil changes. This car was a fixer-upper and now it is almost completely fixed up again. I intend to keep it that way. I am sure most of the people on this forum are interested in keeping their Cadillacs running perfectly and avoiding any surprise repair bills.

Jon
    96STS

cadfan is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have seen alot more cads switching over to the syn. oils. I have seen no more problems running the syn. than conven. oils. If the engine is going to leak, burn, or consume oil- which northstats do- then the oil wont matter.

Tnx for the info guys. As far as the comment on oil change frequency, I guess I can only say that it's based on my years of using the pre-synthetic oils. In the old days, regular detergent 6K oil was dark, heavy and dirty to the look. When I change M1 at 6K, it looks and feels like I changed it the previous week. Granted, there may be as many particles floating around in it, but it looks cleaner.

JJhomer83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Tnx for the info guys. As far as the comment on oil change frequency, I guess I can only say that it's based on my years of using the pre-synthetic oils. In the old days, regular detergent 6K oil was dark, heavy and dirty to the look. When I change M1 at 6K, it looks and feels like I changed it the previous week. Granted, there may be as many particles floating around in it, but it looks cleaner.
    Would anyone recommend putting synthetic in a 4.9L with 70k miles????

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Its your call...... I probably wouldnt.......

You could also try a synthetic blend....... I think valvoline makes one, I cant remember.......

CBOYLE is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX AWD Premium 2011 DTS Platinum

i changed my 1989 riviera at 80k over to mobil 1 car now has 230k no problems.

i also use mobil 1 since new in
    1. 1999 cadillic sls 31k
    2. 2001 cadillac dts 19k
    3 sears lawn mower 5 years old
    4. sears snow blower 7 years old

i think it is the best oil!
    using a synthetic blend does not make sence to me (savings minimal)
    just my two cents
    charlie

I put synthetic in my moms van about a week ago just to test it out before i go with my car. Suprisingly it runs great. I think i am going to try it in my car. Ill keep you updated with the results. any suggestions on brand????

CBOYLE is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX AWD Premium 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by JJhomer83
    I put synthetic in my moms van about a week ago just to test it out before i go with my car. Suprisingly it runs great. I think i am going to try it in my car. Ill keep you updated with the results. any suggestions on brand????
    i use only mobil 1 10w 30w in everything. readily available.
    walmart in my area carrier 5 quart jug containers for about $17.00.
    nice of you to test in moms car FIRST.
    good luck
    charlie

Quote Originally Posted by CBOYLE
    i use only mobil 1 10w 30w in everything. readily available.
    walmart in my area carrier 5 quart jug containers for about $17.00.
    nice of you to test in moms car FIRST.
    good luck
    charlie
    Well of course I am going to test her car first its a lease and its an 03. When ever i want to try something like that i put it in her van or my dad and i have a beater that we use to test things on.

ljklaiber is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS 200K miles
    This oil thing never goes away , so I will post results of a test on SuperFlow Dyno 3 years ago, (I am retired now ..).

Competition Engine #49..#355 CI Chev Smalblock.(.030 overbore, Steel crank, 6 inch rods and JE pistons).

Engine runin initial light torque load..(30 Wt Kendall GT1)

Change oil and Filter and Cut filter to examine for bearing material...Check out OK.

First power runs are with Havoline 30 wt.........baseline 475 HP

Change heads for 1 point increase in CR and set timing to 40 degrees
    (Havoline 30 wt) 503 HP at 700 RPM

Change headers and tighten Valve lash for more cam duration
    (505 HP at 7000RPM)

Change to Synergyn 0-20 rcing synthetic oil
    (503 HP at 7000)

Change to Mobil 1 5-30) 505 HP at 7000)

Change oiland filter aagain to Amsoil....502 at 7000)

Check valve lash..(OK) change oil and filter and refill with Kedall GT1 30wt...........(506 Hp at 7000)

Result

The only difference in the oils is in the initial COST!

ljk

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.