using non-GM spark plug wires?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, using non-GM spark plug wires? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I was looking for a set of AC Delco spark plug wire set but for some reason non of the ...
    weister42 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville Sedan

Cool using non-GM spark plug wires?

I was looking for a set of AC Delco spark plug wire set but for some reason non of the shops I visited had them in stock, so I went to Autozone and picked up some "double silicone" wire set but I ended up returning it cause the guy gave me the wrong K&N air filter . Just today I went to NAPA and picked up their "Belden Max" wires and the lady said they're about the same if not better, and it did cost me about 100 dollars. My car is misfiring right now and I want them changed asap, so should I be concerned about using NAPA parts instead of AC Delco like everyone else here say?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Re: using non-GM spark plug wires?

General concensus is that OEM wires work the best. Best price I found was $122 (shipped) from http://www.rockauto.com. Had them in two days.

freefaller07 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I was going to get new wires for mine this spring because my seville STS is nearing the 200,000 mile mark. It is running a bit rough and im sure by now new wires and plugs would make a huge improvement. Are AC delco plugs the OEM the best to run in the northstar as well? I wanna buy all the supplies soon and be ready to get my tune up done. Thanks Ranger for the advice on the plug wires.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

How come wires are so damn expensive? That's like $15 per wire!

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

What has been said about non-OEM wire is they don't last as long as OEM. If you get premium wires they should have a comparable life but cheaper ones may not last long. If you intend to keep the car the OEM's are worth the money.

cadillacmike68 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brg, 09 STS N* Platinum, 11 CTS Premium

And, if you get a "boxed set" of ACDelco wires, they are "lifetime warranty" just keep your box and receipt I keep a folder forevery car in the file cabinet just for this sort of thing.

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville
    How come wires are so damn expensive? That's like $15 per wire!
    That's cheap! I was at AutoZone and the guy was showing me this aftermarket OEM style spark plug wires for a VW Jetta. They were $89 for 4!!! The guy said they were pretty cheap looking wires too.

So Northstar wires are cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    General concensus is that OEM wires work the best. Best price I found was $122 (shipped) from http://www.rockauto.com. Had them in two days.
    Here's a pic of them on the box it says it gives better protection than OEM and has a limited lifetime warranty that should it failed before the engine does I can get one free. The jacket is pretty slick like those expensive car/pro audio RCA cables, and the features looks pretty promising...the only difference is these are 7mm cable and the AC Delco is 8mm, not sure what does it mean. it's really cold out today so I'm still trying to decide if I should go with these...

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

"the only difference is these are 7mm cable and the AC Delco is 8mm, not sure what does it mean."

The thicker wires have less resistance, I'm not sure how much difference 1 mm makes though.

Spyder is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.

7 to 8mm will not change resistance...that measurment only tells the thickness of the insulation, not the core. I have those same napa brand wires on my 94 STS and after 10,000 miles, I'm getting a constant miss at cruising speed...not sure if its the wires, but I have a strong suspicion that they are what is causing my annoying problem. Go with the Delcos!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder
    7 to 8mm will not change resistance...that measurment only tells the thickness of the insulation, not the core. I have those same napa brand wires on my 94 STS and after 10,000 miles, I'm getting a constant miss at cruising speed...not sure if its the wires, but I have a strong suspicion that they are what is causing my annoying problem. Go with the Delcos!!!
    Well did u changed the spark plugs while at it? I changed my spark plugs with AC Delco and guess what, one of them was defective and went out in less than 30 miles Costed me 140 dollars for the mechanic to figure that out...after this my car never idled the same...but I think it's the wires so thus the topic post

I guess what I'm trying to say is are these wires going to rob my power or reliability? I mean they do have a lifetime warranty so I don't think they will just say it for the hell of it, and I always thought OEM parts are unheard of in the high-performance racing scheme.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by freefaller07
    I was going to get new wires for mine this spring because my seville STS is nearing the 200,000 mile mark. It is running a bit rough and im sure by now new wires and plugs would make a huge improvement. Are AC delco plugs the OEM the best to run in the northstar as well? I wanna buy all the supplies soon and be ready to get my tune up done. Thanks Ranger for the advice on the plug wires.
    Yes, stick with A/C Delco 41-950 plugs.

outlaw1369 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Eldorado 1996 Sedan Deville

Do the OEM wires for the Northstar have a special resistance to them? Used to be able to put the 8 or 9 mm performance Accel, Moroso, MSD, etc... wires in the old cars as a aftermarket upgrade.

M&N
    M&N is offline Cadillac Owners Member

The "double silcone" from auto zone work just fine and there is not a performance issue but I would stick with the 41-950 plugs though.

Well today I decided to put them in...and yes cured my misfiring problem and it seems to work pretty well(did I mention these wires smell good)! I'll keep an update tho if this wire set fails

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.