97 deville cooling system
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 97 deville cooling system in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; It all started a few months ago. First the water pump was replaced. 4 weeks later it was the lower ...
    jerimage is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Unhappy 97 deville cooling system

It all started a few months ago. First the water pump was replaced. 4 weeks later it was the lower hose. 4 weeks again and the pulley and waterpump belt was replaced. In the meantime the vehicle still was overheating at speeds greater than 65 mph. All the above was done at my friendly cadillac dealer. One last visit to the dealer who kept the car for 3 days and could only find that the radiator cap needed replacement. He could not find anything else wrong. I took it out on the highway and it overheated as before. I brought it to a highly recommended repair shop and they replaced the thermostat and the radiator. Things looked ok till I took it up to 75 mph. Overheat again.
    ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Re: 97 deville cooling system

One thing to check is the vapor vent line. Look at the pressurized surge tank. Find the 3/8 hose attached to it coming from the engine. When the system is cold, disconnect the hose from the nipple at the surge tank. Coolant should stream from the nipple from the coolant in the tank if the nipple is unobstructed. Start the engine briefly. You should get a stream of coolant from the hose flowing toward the surge tank with the engine running. If not, find the obstruction in the hose. If the hose flows freely then the vapor vent circuit is fine.

If the stat is OK, rad is OK, water pump belt and drive is OK and the vapor vent line is unobstructed.....then....you have to start thinking of head gaskets....

Lots in the archives on this topic if you use the forum search feature in the forum tool bar above and type in "overheating" or "head gaskets" or "timeserts" or such.

Quote Originally Posted by bbob
    One thing to check is the vapor vent line. Look at the pressurized surge tank. Find the 3/8 hose attached to it coming from the engine. When the system is cold, disconnect the hose from the nipple at the surge tank. Coolant should stream from the nipple from the coolant in the tank if the nipple is unobstructed. Start the engine briefly. You should get a stream of coolant from the hose flowing toward the surge tank with the engine running. If not, find the obstruction in the hose. If the hose flows freely then the vapor vent circuit is fine.

If the stat is OK, rad is OK, water pump belt and drive is OK and the vapor vent line is unobstructed.....then....you have to start thinking of head gaskets....

Lots in the archives on this topic if you use the forum search feature in the forum tool bar above and type in "overheating" or "head gaskets" or "timeserts" or such.
    I will check the vapor vent line, today. If I were losing coolant thru the headgasket or anywhere else, wouldn't I get a low coolant warning before the overheat?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Yes, the surge tank is the highest point in the cooling system so it would go down first and you should see a low coolant message.

vapor vent line ok. will replace fan relays today.
    This is mind-boggling. any one else have this problem?

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Yes, check the headgasket info.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.