Codes P0171, P0174 and P1258 come up on 1997 Deville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By maeng9981
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Codes P0171, P0174 and P1258 come up on 1997 Deville in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a few codes that are up on my 97 Cadillac Deville. P0171,P0174 and P1258. Could someone tell me ...
    brojake316 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Deville Concours

Codes P0171, P0174 and P1258 come up on 1997 Deville

I have a few codes that are up on my 97 Cadillac Deville. P0171,P0174 and P1258. Could someone tell me what id have to do to fix em? I've read that the P1358 means that the engine has went into like a protective mode due to the coolant getting hot in the engine if so does that mean that its preventing the heads from blowing?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Re: Codes P0171, P0174 and P1258 Come up on Cadillac Deville

P0171 and P0174 together pinpoints to a vacuum leak between the MAF sensor and the intake valves. Usually when there are two codes together, the parts that are shared by both banks are usually at fault. This isn't important however, when you have P1258 - Engine Coolant Overtemperature.

Your engine went into the "camel mode" in one or more occasions. Now this could have been caused by several things; you need to put some more info about its current condition. Does it overheat? If so, when? Can you describe the overheating situation, how fast you were going, accelerating or coasting or idling, hilly road or flat road, things like that?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Codes P0171, P0174 and P1258 Come up on Deville

1997 = OBD-II diagnostics.

Use this in the future. Open the link and save the address to your bookmarks - you'll use the definitions as long as you own the car.

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

brojake316 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Deville Concours
    Quote Originally Posted by maeng9981 View Post
    P0171 and P0174 together pinpoints to a vacuum leak between the MAF sensor and the intake valves. Usually when there are two codes together, the parts that are shared by both banks are usually at fault. This isn't important however, when you have P1258 - Engine Coolant Overtemperature.

Your engine went into the "camel mode" in one or more occasions. Now this could have been caused by several things; you need to put some more info about its current condition. Does it overheat? If so, when? Can you describe the overheating situation, how fast you were going, accelerating or coasting or idling, hilly road or flat road, things like that?
    OK so which isn't important the vacuum leak or the P1258? Yes the car over heats when I run it with the ac on over a period of say 30-45 minutes. Other then that it doesn't over heat.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Codes P0171, P0174 and P1258 come up on 1997 Deville

If the car overheats with the A/C system ON, are the cooling fans running in SLOW ?? They should - any time an A/C function is selected. With no A/C function selected fans are controlled by the ECT sensor feeding the PCM and will go to SLOW at 224 degrees, the engine cools to 213, fans stop and the cycle repeats.

Pop the hood - start the engine, A/C ON. Fans should be running. If not, it's fuse/relay/wiring checks time.

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Re: Codes P0171, P0174 and P1258 come up on 1997 Deville

If your car is overheating then deal with lean conditions (P0171/P0174) later.

If your fans are running with A/C and it still overheats, it's time for a block test.
    vincentm likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.