Oil Under Intake 94 Northstar
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Oil Under Intake 94 Northstar in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi newbe here I was wondering if anyone could give me an estimate on head gasket repair for a 94 ...
    drdon51 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Oil Under Intake 94 Northstar

Hi newbe here I was wondering if anyone could give me an estimate on head gasket repair for a 94 eldo northstar. The car only has 70000 miles on it,Lately started running real rough surge at idle and cutting out on at speed.I bought this car from my elderly uncle with 52000 milse on it for 4000<He has saved every receipt since new and it reads like whos who of repair bills, new window motors new fuel pumps two new pcm's new egr valve and a problem with shorts to ground -where they actually have run new wires with little metal connectors to different parts under the hood -this all done by a cadillac dealer. The last repair at 52000 miles was the 3rd pcm as the first two shorted out .Anyway while trying to figure the bad idle and missing problem I discovered about an inch and a half of oil under the intake manifold-wondered where all that oil under the car was coming from -sometimes you can see oil smoke coming from under the hood,can this start a fire? .

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Re: Oil Under Intake 94 Northstar

Quote Originally Posted by drdon51
    Hi newbe here I was wondering if anyone could give me an estimate on head gasket repair for a 94 eldo northstar. The car only has 70000 miles on it,Lately started running real rough surge at idle and cutting out on at speed.I bought this car from my elderly uncle with 52000 milse on it for 4000<He has saved every receipt since new and it reads like whos who of repair bills, new window motors new fuel pumps two new pcm's new egr valve and a problem with shorts to ground -where they actually have run new wires with little metal connectors to different parts under the hood -this all done by a cadillac dealer. The last repair at 52000 miles was the 3rd pcm as the first two shorted out .Anyway while trying to figure the bad idle and missing problem I discovered about an inch and a half of oil under the intake manifold-wondered where all that oil under the car was coming from -sometimes you can see oil smoke coming from under the hood,can this start a fire? .

Make sure it is not oil from the power steering pump. The power steering pump is at the top front of the engine and any leak from the pump or lines goes into the valley.....

If a cam cover seal is leaking on the inboard edge it could also leak oil into the valley.

The other possibility is the head gasket at the very front inboard corners. There is a small, pressurized oil passage to the cylinder heads that goes across the deck surface. There are rare and random cases of a head gasket leak causing an oil leak into the valley from that passage. Not common at all but it has been reported once before on the forum here.

Take the intake manifold loose and see where the oil is coming from. Look at the silver top cover of the intake manifold. You will see four, recessed bolt heads toward the center of the intake manifold. Take those four long bolts out (leave the rest alone) and the whole intake will lift up for inspection under the intake. There are not coolant passages or other fluids to worry about and the seals are reusable so lift it up and see what the source of the oil is.

Search the forum archives using "phenolic spacer plates" and read my posts. You'll need to clean those up anyway so the intake needs to be lifted up sooner or later anyway. Clean the EGR passages in the phenolic spacer plates between the intake and the cylinder heads and inspect the oil leak situation.

drdon51 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Oil Under Intake 94 Northstar

HEY THANKS FOR THE FAST INFO--------I dont think its a power steering leak because Ive got every record for the car and no mention of a problem there. And Ive never added any. Plus what is ever leaking is still leaking as the whole bottom of the pan and tranny is covered with oil.I see in one of the the sheets from cadillac servicedept that at 30000 miles they started an oil consumption test but I dont think it was followed up on>the car uses about a quart of oil every 1000 miles. The missing Im having feels like its more than one cylinder,its not a little miss its a jerk. If im driving 60mph it seems pretty smooth,And the miss might leave for five minutes then come back-doesnt sound like a bad cylinder does it?________________any guess Ive changed the fuel filter and air cleaner and at first I thought that was it -------ran very smooth.But later got the same thing.,while it idles it makes this clinking sound and their is a little accuature that moves in and out on the throttle.The idle is ruff and changes between 700 and 1200 rpm's-could it be that its getting a false signal that the ac is kicking on because both fans kick on if I turn the blower on- {I really appreciate the help}-This car has so many new parts on it for the mileage its got to have been a lemon from the begining

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.