Northstar Engine assembly - instructions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Northstar Engine assembly - instructions in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have searched the site and the web but for some reason I have been unable to locate a good ...
    Loose screw is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 concourse, 99 sts

Northstar Engine assembly - instructions

I have searched the site and the web but for some reason I have been unable to locate a good detailed guide to rebuilding a (94 Concours) Northstar engine. I need it all, particularly cam timing instruction this looks tricky. The engine spun a bearing at 142,000 The crank has been repaired and two good connecting rods and new bearings and rings obtained. I have a Time insert kit (man was that expensive)to do all the head bold threads which have not been damaged but from what I have read it is a must do.
    The timing chains look good but all the wear pads are completely worn out.

I do need to replace ALL the timing chains too don't I dispite how they look?

And what about the sprokets that look very good?

What gasket sealers are best and in which locations? any thing used on the head gaskets?

Do I really need new head bolts?

What are the biggest and most comon misstakes to watch out for?

Please supply any links and any and all info I may need or find helpful as this engine has to go back together this weekend. As you can tell I have all the stardard questions and few too answers or sources to find them - please help I sure don't want to screw this up with just what little information I have. Thank you

Loose Screw njvandermeide@msn.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Re: Northstar Engine assembly - instructions

I'm not expert but our resident expert has said the pads are not worn out. My understanding is they just wear an initial groove and then stay that way forever. Leave the chains alone.

Yes you need new head bolts. The old one are not reusable on the Northstar. I think they come with the gasket set if I remember what others have said.

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I don't think you can get by without purchasing a factory service manual from either Helm, or off ebay... last I heard Helm was cleaning closet, and had a surplus of pre-95 manuals for $30 or something. There's another link about it, check the forum.....

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by eldorado1
    I don't think you can get by without purchasing a factory service manual from either Helm, or off ebay... last I heard Helm was cleaning closet, and had a surplus of pre-95 manuals for $30 or something. There's another link about it, check the forum.....
    That goes without saying. I assumed you have one. "Don't leave home without it"

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

This should give you some extra info.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ead.php?t=5052

Pjs
    Pjs is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

You really should see the diagrams in the factory service manual for timing set. It looks a lot more complicated than it really is though. One thing that helped me was to put components removed in labeled sandwich bags. My engine at this point had 139K on it, the pads all had grooves in them but really weren't worn out as you would expect to see with a conventional engine. I've changed literally dozens of timing chain sets and never have I seen a set look as good as this particularly with the high miles. This is how your set should look after reassembly.
    Attached Images

Thank you for the replies, the links to other threads and photo of the cams and chains they are all helping a lot.

Most of the chain pads were completly worn through on this engine, possibly due to low oil given the fact it had spun a bearing and there was plenty of oil starvation marks on the other bearing.

As for a good shop manual sadly no the only one I was able to get - when it arrived - it didn't cover engine rebuilds or even tear downs - "it should be left to professional". So I am stuck and out of time. I am hoping for something excellent on line. I need all the info I can get so again please post or email what you can, I'm really am disperate and the weekend is coming fast! njvandermeide@msn.com

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Where are you located?

The library in Phoenix has alldata online. Maybe the library near you does also.

If the community college has auto courses they may have a library in the auto ctr. One of the cc's here has a lot of manuals available and has Mitchell's and Alldata online. This is in the Auto bldg...not the school library. Just a couple of ideas.

I am in Salt lake City Utah I did check the libaray's Automotive reference section but I didn't think to see if they had anything additional online - thanks I will check it out for sure.

What gasket sealers should I use and where and where not.

Is anything being used on the head gaskets?

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Use an aneorobic sealant like Loctite "gasket eliminator" on the lower crankcase to block joint in addition to the silicone rubber side seals in the grooves.

Use the OEM head gaskets and new head bolts that come with the head gaskets. Do NOT put anything on the head gaskets....unless you want them to leak and fail....LOL.

Thank you - just what I needed, a specific answer.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.