Bar's Leaks "Head Gasket Repair"
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Bar's Leaks "Head Gasket Repair" in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hey everyone.. so today while at the auto store I was about to pay and out the corner of my ...
    blunted is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '94 Eldorado , '12 CTS Coupe

Question Bar's Leaks "Head Gasket Repair" / Oil Additives

Hey everyone.. so today while at the auto store I was about to pay and out the corner of my eye see a bottle of this Bar's Leak "Head Gasket Repair" stuff. I'm not having cooling system issues but figured I'd pick it up for the heck of it since I had never seen it before. It claims on the bottle to supposedly "stop block leaks,seal cracked heads, and repair blown head gaskets". I'm personally not one to believe in a miracle in a bottle but since Bar's Leak does make those good cooling system pellets, I'm curious as to what Bbob would say regarding putting this stuff in your system. There's also something they sell called "engine oil stop leak" which is supposed to be good for worn seal and gaskets and I'm wondering if this might help out my leaking/smoking oil issue. I read a thread where Bbob says that it is possible to remove the oil pan bolts which creates a gap, and then to put some silicone/RTV sealer in.... perhaps this would be a better idea. But anyway, I'm not endorsing these products or anything just curious to see if they have worked for anyone, so everyone please feel free to chime in with any past experience with this stuff. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Bar's Leaks "Head Gasket Repair" / Oil Additives

If it sounds too good to be true ........
    It may be a band aid at best.

haymaker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Bar's Leaks "Head Gasket Repair" / Oil Additives

The question about the Barsí stop leak for blown head gaskets as came up before and I responded to that post and I will repeat my response for you in hopes of saving someone some money and time.
    I tried it twice and it failed twice (I just couldnít believe the Barís hadnít worked. the first time so I tried it again). My í97 SLS was suffering from the classic loss of coolant by way of the expansion tank. When I disassembled my N* to install the time-serts and replace the head gaskets the Barís stop leak material was piled up about one inch deep in the bottom of the water-jacket at all four corners (at the bottom toward the outside of cylinders 1, 2, 7 and 8). Both head gaskets were blown on my engine and I used the Barís twice so the way I see it the Barís head gasket stop leak had four chances. Four-time loser in my book and the stuff isnít cheap by a long shot. I wasted a lot of antifreeze, time and money in this little experiment. It all would have been worth it if had only worked but it didnít. Spend your money on the time-sert kit and head gaskets. Do it right the first time and get it over with.

BTW I have used other Barís products with good success for over forty-years so I was very surprised when thid one didnít work.

blunted is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '94 Eldorado , '12 CTS Coupe

Re: Bar's Leaks "Head Gasket Repair"

Has anyone had success with their Oil stop leak additives?

68l89 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

your not going to beleive this but when i was in high school i cracked a head due to overheating...........A hillbilly friend of my grandfathers told me to put a full can of black pepper in the radiator...........I drove the car for two years with no leaks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

I fixed a flathead Ford V8 with a crack from an exhaust valve seat down the cylinder wall by staurating steel wool with JB Weld and driving it in the crack with an old screwdriver. At the valve seat I drilled and tapped down into the crack and screwed in a threaded cast iron plug I made, cut it off flush, and reground the seat. I filled the cooling system and added NAPA stopleak made from cellulose and Bentonite drilling mud. As far as I know it ran for years.

habdallah19 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Silver Cadillac Seville SLS

I am actually about to try the Bars Leaks Head Gasket Repair and I will actually do it the right way, unlike other people, and the only way it piles to an inch is when you dont completly flush the entire system, I will let you know and I have heard about this black peper thing to much, I am starting to believe it LOL.

eyekandyboats.inc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS(140K), 2000 ETC(284K), 1990 allante( 80K)

doing it is pointless. the reason the heads fail is beauce the bolts pull away!. NOT because something cracks. the bolts will keep pulling out father and farther and none of this CRAP you guys think will fix it.. WILL.
    a crack is diffrent or small hole. these bolts PULL AWAY FROM THE BLOCK.
    you are just wasting your money and plugging up the cooant system

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

This is certainly a twist on a 4.8 year old thread!

.....and eyekandy is correct: the Northstar problem is not due to a static gasket failure or a crack; it's due to a gradual loosening of one or more head bolts due to block thread failure. You're trying to pour cement into a moving San Andreas fault............it won't work. (Maybe until the next earthquake...........)

ponyboyt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97, 97, RIP 98, 99 STS with Jakes studs

i put this stuff in friday before the track and it shaved 1/10th off my 1/4 mile times.

/duck.

buggin123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 seville

Ponyboyt, have you tried using this stuff in your fuel tank to boost octane?

ponyboyt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97, 97, RIP 98, 99 STS with Jakes studs

i use my buddy's pot plants' soil for that after he havests.

Papi_MaC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 02 Escalade/ 01 DTS/ 95 ETC (For Sale)/SOLD 90 92 95 DeVille

I'm guna flush my coolant with this stuff after I pour greasy balls in my cracked radiator, duct tape my leaking a/c line, liquid gasket my drippy water housing, rubber tape my old radiator hoses, bolt on the electric supercharger and install the vortec cyclone in my air intake along with a high-mpg oxygen sensor to trick my computer into giving me better mileage and horsepower...

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

.............don't forget the Slick 50 in the oil and the 13/16" holes in the catalytic converter. It also helps to run an aftermarket cotton air filter with plenty of SAE 80/140 gear oil dribbled into it. Change to colder heat range spark plugs so the gas burns slower, and run your tires at 50 psi. Use blue neon lights in the fenderwells and run as many lights, all on at the same time, in the front of the car as possible.

Also, as above ^^^ "If it won't run, chrome it".

jeffrsmith is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '99 SLS, '05 Deville, '87 Porsche 944

Quote Originally Posted by Papi_MaC View Post
    bolt on the electric supercharger and install the vortec cyclone in my air intake ..
    Let us know how you make out with little these gems

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.