HG question - 1997 Eldorado, 127000 miles
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ranger
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, HG question - 1997 Eldorado, 127000 miles in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I hear all the downsides to the N* engine blowing the HG but if it is not blown now what ...
    twrtoad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 eldorado

HG question - 1997 Eldorado, 127000 miles

I hear all the downsides to the N* engine blowing the HG but if it is not blown now what is the best way to keep it from blowing. Are there any maintance issues that you can do to maintain it longer, coolant changes more frequently, dont drive it like a maniac, ect. I just bought mine and it is running great, has 127,000 miles on it though and just want to make it last as long as possible.
    Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Re: ho keep n* engine from blowing headgasket

Just keep it maintained. Coolant changes, frequent WOT, along with general maintenance will keep the car healthy. There is no set time for a HG failure. Some people blow them at 150k miles, while others like myself have it happen at 54k miles and then there are those with no failures at all. You have a greater risk of having issues as the '97-'99 models are statistically the worst (not real world, N* poll here in forums) but not everybody fails. It will be a gradual failure not something that happens overnight. Enjoy your Eldorado.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: ho keep n* engine from blowing headgasket

Go way up ^^^ to the top black bar and study the whole Cadillac Technical Archive. Then study the sticky threads on the Engines; Northstar Performance page - particularly those 3 or 4 that speak directly to coolant, cooling systems, temp gauges, and head gasket faults. (A little knowledge is good; hearsay is bad.)

Why not drive it like a maniac ?? The engine LOVES to run - just don't abuse it; there IS a difference.

If an engine - any engine - is going to blow a gasket there's precious little you can do to to predict how, when, where - if you're worried about blowing gaskets, your best bet would be to park the car and look at it.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: To keep N* engine from blowing headgasket ?

Quote Originally Posted by twrtoad View Post
    I hear all the downsides to the N* engine blowing the HG but if it is not blown now what is the best way to keep it from blowing.
    Pray to the Northstar Gods. You're at their mercy.
    vincentm likes this.

HG question

Hello all,
    Just a quick thought since I have already bought mine and it has 127,000 miles. What is the chance the HG issue has already been fixed, Is there anything I could look for to see if it has been done without major disassembly. This is just a thought, maybe I will get lucky.
    Jim

Re: HG question

Chances are 50/50, but I would suspect if it was a private sale, the seller would have mentioned it as a selling point.

No way to tell without disassembly.

Let's keep all the head gasket questions for the same car, same OP in the same thread.

Drive the car and don't go paranoid.

83CADMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 83 Eldorado, 90 Seville, 94 Concours

Quote Originally Posted by twrtoad View Post
    Hello all,
    Just a quick thought since I have already bought mine and it has 127,000 miles. What is the chance the HG issue has already been fixed, Is there anything I could look for to see if it has been done without major disassembly. This is just a thought, maybe I will get lucky.
    Jim
    lift the front cam cover a little and peek to see if there are bolt heads or nuts?

Re: HG question - 1997 Eldorado, 127000 miles

That would only tell you if it where studded. If it was inserted you'd never know.

hello everybody,
    Well I can tell that the HG issue has never been fixed. I got a report from the original owner with all the maintance that was ever done. I discovered it was a 1 owner vehicle with all the maintance ever done at the dealership out of washington. I mean everything even new tires were bought through the dealership. Oil changes, electrical checks, performance checks, fuel rail replaced, trans flushes, brakes, ect. ect. ect. Even though the head gasket was never fixed it is just good to know at least the vehicle was maintained by the dealer when it was supposed to be done. so with that being said I am not going to worry about it, drive and enjoy it, and if it blows I will just have to get it fixed because I love the look of the vehicle, I personally think it is one of the best looking caddys out there.
    Jim

Considering the sheer numbers of (even pre-2000) Northstars on the road, your actual chances of head gasket failure are awfully slim. Remember - people come here with problems, not because they have NO problems - so everything always looks gloom and doom in a "How do I fix it ??" site.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    still a nice car though

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.