OBD? DTC? How do I access these?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, OBD? DTC? How do I access these? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; My "Service Engine Soon" light stays on. Do I need to buy a scanner and learn how to use it ...
    mechanix is offline Cadillac Owners Member

OBD? DTC? How do I access these?

My "Service Engine Soon" light stays on. Do I need to buy a scanner and learn how to use it in order to find out why? Thanx.:disappoin

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: OBD? DTC? How do I access these?

Simultaneously press and hold the OFF and WARMER buttons until the DIC lights up all segments as a segment check. Then release them. The DTC's will be displayed at the bottom of the DIC. After they have been displayed you can clear them if you wish. When prompted with PCM?, answer yes with the HI FAN button. Then answer no with the LOW FAN button to the next prompts til you get to CLEAR PCM CODES?. Then obviously answer yes.

mechanix is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thank you, Ranger. That works pretty good. I was able to find and fix the problem.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

GREAT, glad I was able to help and thanks for the feed back.

STSNZ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS Foose, CTS with LS2 supercharged on propane (in progress

I have a 1998 STS and would like to look at the codes. My STS does not have a OFF and WARMER buttons? Any ideas what buttons I should hit?
    Also I don't think 4th gear is working, she runs 70mph at 3200rpm. When pull the stick back to 3rd - there is a jerk, like possibly the lockup converter, with only a 200rpm increase. Also in 3rd she has engine braking, but in 4th (D) there is no engine braking. Any ideas appreciated. Peter

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

STSNZ -

You probably have analog gauges. In that case, hold down OFF and the passenger-side WARMER button to get the codes. Write them all down and whether they're History or Current, then post them here and somebody will be able to help you.
    Mike

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Quote Originally Posted by STSNZ
    I have a 1998 STS and would like to look at the codes. My STS does not have a OFF and WARMER buttons? Any ideas what buttons I should hit?
    Also I don't think 4th gear is working, she runs 70mph at 3200rpm. When pull the stick back to 3rd - there is a jerk, like possibly the lockup converter, with only a 200rpm increase. Also in 3rd she has engine braking, but in 4th (D) there is no engine braking. Any ideas appreciated. Peter

This will work for you.....

STSNZ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS Foose, CTS with LS2 supercharged on propane (in progress

Awesome guys - and thanks Jim - I have been a mechanic for years and build race engines and currently crew chief for a 3 race V8 race team. So the codes won't be to dangerous for me!! But hopefully most useful..
    I didi a silly thing re the no 4th (D) gear. I read all I could from ALLDATADIY (not that complete) and without ever seeing one of these 4T80E before (rebuilt many a TH400), figured it must be the auto temp switch! So after loosening the side cover of the trans....I was so deep by this time... had to drop the subframe assembly. I know I should of measured the resistance at the junction box - but still I could replace the filter and new oil! Checked the old sensor, and you guessed it - perfect*#@*
    - 6 hours later its all back togther ready for a test drive. And its the same..
    So any ideas on the lack of 4th - but I will check the codes tonight. Also driving today its 3000rpm at 70 mph - what RPM should it be in D for 70mph.
    Ps. I also have a 1976 Cadillac Seville Milan Roadster with a 572cid - its a jem!
    Thanks to all..
    Peter

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.