Northstar Performance rebuilt engine
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Northstar Performance rebuilt engine in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I had Northstar Performance install one of their "factory spec" rebuilt engines in my 1998 STS end Jan 2013. From ...
    jeramico is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Seville STS

Northstar Performance rebuilt engine

I had Northstar Performance install one of their "factory spec" rebuilt engines in my 1998 STS end Jan 2013.
    From day one this engine is using one litre of oil approx. every 350 kms.
    Northstar Performance's response has been very limited ignoring the majority of my phone calls, emails or text messenging regarding this engine.
    So now I'm looking for an economical way to correct the oil usage which I think is valve seals or offer the STS for sale. No reasonable offer refused.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JoeTahoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GMC SLT,Tahoe, Malibu LTZ, 99 STS studded with NP

Re: Northstar Performance rebuilt engine

how many kms are on the engine since install

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Oil usage analysis - blue smoke at startup which clears in several seconds is usually valve stem seals. Blue smoke all the time is usually piston rings, and copious amounts of blue smoke after a forced coast down or long coast down a mountain road is either valve stem seals and/or rings.

Oil drips on the ground is a totally different subject.

Overfilling the oil pan on a Northstar usually leads to excessive oil consumption - you can safely, and to advantage, carry the oil level at the bottom <=== ADD XXXXXXXXXX == area of the dipstick hashmark.

I assume you're using the proper 10W-30 oil in whatever type floats your boat ??? Is the engine babied, or do you regulary run the living stink out of it ?? (Read and study the entire Cadillac Techical Archive way up ^^^ in the top black bar.)

there is less than 20,000 kms ,runs good , check eng light on but no codes

----------

don't think I'll be talking to Jake he is the one did rebuild/install

as sub says use the lower hash marks on the dip stick and defiantly get ahold of jake. If the check engine light is on it has codes

Jake is the one did rebuild and install won't talk to me

----------

lots blue smoke when u coast then accelerate yes using proper oil after rebuilt eng installed drove 700 kms and low oil message came on

97EldoCoupe is offline U.S. Patent #8,740,532 - www.studkit.com
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

Maybe if 26 voicemails after 5pm were not left calling me "Joke Wiebe" I might have more courtesy toward you.

No engine will burn a quart in 300 miles unless someone forgot to install the piston rings. You told me all spark plugs came out clean with no build-up. You mentioned no blue smoke when I first asked you. Then changed your mind about that later. I had an oil burning Olds 403 that blew blue smoke constantly and it never one consumed that much oil.

I've dealt with you as far as I will. You've been a problem from the day you showed up at the shop, You've been rude, you blamed us for a leaking power steering line, you blamed us for a leaking oil pressure switch (it happens, it's mechanical, there were no leaks when you left here at all,) you blamed us for a blown radiator hose. It looked to be in good condition, no soft spots. Everything is deemed our fault by people who don't understand we are dealing with older vehicles.

Some people look for trouble and look to nitpick at everything. I will always have customers like you as long as I'm in this business. I'm not in business to make unhappy people happy. I'm in business to fix a widespread problem for those who appreciate it. Plain and simple.

I have nothing more to say. Ignorance and bitterness is not something I'm qualified of repairing. For that you will need to see a professional in a different field.

it is your rebuilt engine so you know what you did or didn't do and yes lm very frustrated with your lack of response for 4 1/2 months, you have ignored this problem right from the start. I can prove all the oil .consumed by receipts You have never dealt with any of my problems since I left your shop end Jan.
    It appears you hear only what you want to hear and everyone else is to blame. Seems its your way or the highway and when you translate your warranty its 30 feet or 30 seconds. And for my phone call and Cadillac forum its the only way l could any response from you be it good or bad

Just wish to inform all that once l provided necessary documents showing oil consumption Jake responded instantly, took my car in, did some tests and found factory default with the PCV valve. He ordered necessary parts and took care of the problem. Jake and l are on good terms once
    again. To sum it up l would have no one other than Jake working on my engine and any time in the future if l require engine service Jake Wiebe
    Northstar Performance will be the go-to guy.
    JoeTahoe likes this.

glad to hear. Enjoy that engine

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Amazing what a little courteous conversation can accomplish. Glad it all work out and thanks for the feedback. Time for a group hug.
    RippyPartsDept likes this.

97EldoCoupe is offline U.S. Patent #8,740,532 - www.studkit.com
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

Thank you Jeramico.

I don't know where you served but I know you have served our country. Thank you for all you have done to keep our land free.

If you ever buy another Cadillac for yourself or a family member; I will remember you when it comes to writing up the invoice. You will be getting a slight discount. I won't promise how much but just mention your name and I won't forget. 2 months from now or 10 years.

Take care-

Charlie5280 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Good to hear this was rectified

98Geldog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 eldorado, 2000 Catera
    Factory default with pcv valve? Was the valve bad or was it internal?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.