95 Concours Put Barsleak in canister
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 95 Concours Put Barsleak in canister in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I put some stop leak into the canister instead of the hose what should I do? Please email ccjarvis73@msn.com Thanks-Newbee...
    cjarvis is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade, 71 Eldorado Convertible

Angry 95 Concours Put Barsleak in canister

I put some stop leak into the canister instead of the hose what should I do?
    Please email ccjarvis73@msn.com

Thanks-Newbee

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Re: 95 Concours Put Barsleak in canister

Quote Originally Posted by cjarvis
    I put some stop leak into the canister instead of the hose what should I do?
    Please email ccjarvis73@msn.com

Thanks-Newbee

Well......the problem is that there is very little flow thru the pressurized surge tank so the coolant supplement will usually just settle in there and do nothing. Worst case it will glop into the hose heading from the surge tank to the water pump, restrict the flow and cuase the pump to cavitate and the engine to overheat. Not too likely but it has happened.

You could take a garden hose to the surge tank, stick it in and turn it on and flush it out by just letting the surge tank overflow and moving the hose around to flush out as much stuff as possible. Take a turkey baster or siphon hose and empty the surge tank. Take the rad hose loose and install the coolant supplement in the correct spot. Refill the sytem at the surge tank with fresh 50/50.

Or, if you are a gambler and it has seemed ok driving it for a few days....use a stick or something to stir and agitate the coolant in the surge tank as much as possible when the engine/sytem is cold to stir up the supplement particles that may have settled. Run the engine for several minutes while doing this as it warms up from a cold start. That will allow some coolant to circulate thru the surge tank while you are mixing it up to move the supplement into the bulk of the system.

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

That happened to my '94 Deville. I didn't put the sealer in the overflow tank, but it did clog up the hose and overheat the engine. The tank was overflowing with coolant, but it was very low in the radiator. Strange, but it happened!
    I just took the tank out of the car, cleaned it out and reinstalled it.

outlaw1369 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Eldorado 1996 Sedan Deville

Was using the bars stop leak with the small brown pellets and brown liquid a few months ago before I broke down and timeserted. Installed it into the lower radiator hose. Ran the car for a while and it was fine. After sitting for a few days it started overheating really bad. The bars had clogged\settled into the lower radiator inlet and clogged the passage causing the car to overheat. Flushed out with garden hose and back to normal (still overheating of course). I will never use the small brown pellet\brown liquid type bars in any of my vehicles again!!!

You must use the sealant supplements! What you did was add to much to fix a problem, and that caused a problem, so you're blaming the correct methods! You need to flush the system, then add the correct amount of coolant supplement tablets.

Like I said I broke down and timeserted to fix the original problem. Had to use bigserts as it was already timeserted once and two failed. I also bought a new radiator and put the GM supplment (6tabs) into the lower hose. I will only use the supplments in aluminum engines. I have never had any seepage issues with any of my non-aluminum vehicles.

Sorry, I misunderstood you!

cjarvis is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade, 71 Eldorado Convertible

Thanks for all the reply's I took a garden hose and took off the top hose and turned the pressure on high and it back flushed the whole canister, and then I took the aluminum barsleak and reapplied through hose and ran the A/C, and then the Heat for awhile, and so far so good.

The reason I put barsleak in the car in the first place was to try to fix a small leak that I couldnt locate anywhere, and after driving for an hour or so the engine light would come on and say Idle car engine very hot? So hopefully the barsleak will locate the small mistery leak. Otherwise have any of you seen this mystery leak before?

Thanks

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

aluminum barsleak? You should be using G12BP or HDC from this site http://www.barsproducts.com/origin.html. Anything else is the wrong stuff.

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Ranger is right. Bar's Leaks Golden Seal powder or supplement pellets are the only things you should use in the system. The aluminum or copper stuff isn't worth the potential problems. The Golden Seal powder is what GM puts in the systems and works the best anyway.
    Mike

Please learn from my mistake!!! Please do not use any products other that the Bars "HDC" or the GM supplment tabs.

Quote Originally Posted by outlaw1369
    Was using the bars stop leak with the small brown pellets and brown liquid a few months ago before I broke down and timeserted. Installed it into the lower radiator hose. Ran the car for a while and it was fine. After sitting for a few days it started overheating really bad. The bars had clogged\settled into the lower radiator inlet and clogged the passage causing the car to overheat. Flushed out with garden hose and back to normal (still overheating of course). I will never use the small brown pellet\brown liquid type bars in any of my vehicles again!!!

I suspect that you didn't get the engine warm enough when you installed the coolant supplement to open the stat and circulate the supplement thru the system before you let it set and settle like that. Unusual for that to happen....but it can I guess. The product you mention is OK in a pinch. I don't like to use the stuff with the brown liquid and the liquid (soluable oil) can cause some foaming in a high flow system like the Northstar so it is best to aviod it....but the little pellets are the same exact stuff as the normal, recommended GM Coolant Supplement or BarsLeaks "golden seal" powder. The clog was just a odd situation caused by lack of circulation at installation and then sitting like that. The thing to make sure the next time is to run the engine for awhile and take it out and drive it to open the stat and circulate coolant thru the radiator to distribute the supplemetn thru the system before letting it sit.

The situation you describe, however, is EXACTLY why you do NOT want to put the supplement of any sort into the pressurized surge tank. The surge tank has very little flow and the glob of supplement can settle into the hose leading to the water pump and block it like you experienced.

The coolant supplement does not dissolve in the coolant per se...it just melts into the tiny particles and goes into suspension. So a clod of supplement can settle or sit in a hose if there is no flow to disperse it thru the rest of the system.

Quote Originally Posted by cjarvis
    Thanks for all the reply's I took a garden hose and took off the top hose and turned the pressure on high and it back flushed the whole canister, and then I took the aluminum barsleak and reapplied through hose and ran the A/C, and then the Heat for awhile, and so far so good.

The reason I put barsleak in the car in the first place was to try to fix a small leak that I couldnt locate anywhere, and after driving for an hour or so the engine light would come on and say Idle car engine very hot? So hopefully the barsleak will locate the small mistery leak. Otherwise have any of you seen this mystery leak before?

Thanks

Yea...hopefully this is a typo or misunderstanding. After thousands of posts about the correct coolant supplement I hope you did not use the BarsLeaks "liquid aluminum" product instead.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.