Oil
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Oil in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Morning guys, Question! What type of oil should I use in the car? 53k. Any suggestions besides what it normally ...
    <3 my 95 SLS is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Lightbulb Oil

Morning guys, Question! What type of oil should I use in the car? 53k. Any suggestions besides what it normally takes? (95 SLS) Thanks hope everyone has a great day.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

?

One more question i was checking my information center in the car and it says that the oil life is at 12%. I had the oil changed about 1500 miles ago at 52,768 the mileage is now at 54,400. but yet it again it only says 13% life left... I would think it would at least last 2500 miles before another change?

rapid rabbit is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: ?

Quote Originally Posted by <3 my 95 SLS
    One more question i was checking my information center in the car and it says that the oil life is at 12%. I had the oil changed about 1500 miles ago at 52,768 the mileage is now at 54,400. but yet it again it only says 13% life left... I would think it would at least last 2500 miles before another change?
    Your owners manual will tell you how to reset the oil life percentage. Apparently it wasn't done at the last oil change.

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Re: ?

Usually you use one of 2 methods to reset the oil life indicator.......

Press the accelerator 3 times with the ignition in the on position (engine not running).........

Or

Scrolling through the DTC and reset it using the button on the dash....... Press and hold.........

Change interval is more important than oil type....... Dont think by using synthetic you can go 7k........ I would start using synthetic, it will keep sludge and varnish deposits to a minimum.......

jonrodman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Seville STS

Thumbs up Re: ?

I agree with the Synthetic Oil comment. I like Mobil 1 and have now started using the Mobil 1 Oil filters also.

Thanks for the mention of the Accelerator Trick for the Oil Life Indicator.

Jon
    96STS

Smile Oil Life Indicator

Quote Originally Posted by elwesso
    Usually you use one of 2 methods to reset the oil life indicator.......

Press the accelerator 3 times with the ignition in the on position (engine not running).........

Or

Scrolling through the DTC and reset it using the button on the dash....... Press and hold.........

Change interval is more important than oil type....... Dont think by using synthetic you can go 7k........ I would start using synthetic, it will keep sludge and varnish deposits to a minimum.......
    Pressing the accelerator three times with the ignition in the on position did not reset the Oil Life Indicator. It still says Change Engine Oil now and Oil Life Zero.

Can you please detail the DTC process?

lol

Im pretty sure "DTC" is the information center, find the setting where it tells you how much oil life left (for my car i hit the information button) then when you come to it push and hold the reset button.

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Re: lol

Thats it......

Jonrodman-- What car do you have.......

Re: lol

Quote Originally Posted by elwesso
    Thats it......

Jonrodman-- What car do you have.......
    Hi Snipes,

I have a grey 1996 Seville STS. I now have eight fresh quarts of Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 filter on the beast.

The Oil life indicator also indicates 100% just like it should. Thanks for your help. It was all in the small Info Reset button. The large INFO button was not used in this proceedure.

Jon

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.