Removing Heli-coils
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Removing Heli-coils in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Does anyone know a time saving method of removing heli-coils from a 4.6L Northstar block? Timesert cautions against drilling them ...
    mechanix is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Removing Heli-coils

Does anyone know a time saving method of removing heli-coils from a 4.6L Northstar block? Timesert cautions against drilling them out with a cobalt drill bit because of the risk of damaging the block and/or embedding coil chips that could tear up the timesert drill bit. I can get the top heli-coil out by hand, but the other two that are deep in the hole...? I have all twenty holes to do! Thanks! -Victor

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Re: Removing Heli-coils

There is a genuine Heli-coil removing tool but it probably won't do you much good. I would take a very large flat bladed screwdriver and modify it by grinding it to where it will go down through where you already removed the Heli-coils but still wide enough to engage the remaining coils. Grind the sides at an angle so it has as long a taper as possible and has edges that will cut into the coil. If you insert the tool until it is in the coil and give it a light tap, the end of the coil will be bent out from the aluminum to where it will no longer dig in and you should be able to screw the Heli-coils right on out. If you have any trouble understanding just PM me and we'll arrange a phone call.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

You can also try cleaning up the old head bolts and screwing them into the helicoils with a light coating of some stud grade/permanent strength loctite. Let them set up for several days and unscrew them. I have seen a number of thread inserts removed like that. The permanent strength loctite will really grip the thread insert. If you want to get them off the head bolt after they come out then just heat the inserts gently with a propane torch and the loctite will loose it's strength and they will unscrew easily.

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

That's a great trick! I'll have to remember that!

mechanix is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Alright! This website is the bomb! *lol* Thank you very much gentlemen, for your input. I'll try those methods and see what happens. I did manage to get all 3 coils out of one hole and installed the first Bigsert. It went in pretty slick...no problems. I will keep y'all posted. Thanks again! -Victor

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

I'd be very careful how much Loctite I used because I wouldn't want to be gluing the Heli-coils to the aluminum. Loctite will wick in behind the inserts if you use too much.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski
    I'd be very careful how much Loctite I used because I wouldn't want to be gluing the Heli-coils to the aluminum. Loctite will wick in behind the inserts if you use too much.
    True...that is why I mentioned a "light coat" of loctite and to use the permanent grade stuff that is much more viscous...not the wicking grade that seeps in everywhere. But you are right...don't overdo the locktite or it can cause problems.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.