VIN and Performance Questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, VIN and Performance Questions in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; How do I ascertain the Vin code for a N* motor that I have? I do not know what model ...
    duecentoi is offline Cadillac Owners Member

VIN and Performance Questions

How do I ascertain the Vin code for a N* motor that I have? I do not know what model it came out of. I was told that it was from a burned '97 STS, but the kid could tell me little else. Which Vin codes where the 300 hp ones and is there any way to tell from the configuration of the engine/trans? I found the number stamped in the block but it seemed of little use. Are there transmission difference as well?
    TIA
    Jason

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

danbuc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)

Re: VIN and Performance Questions

The 300hp engine will be designated by a "9" and model number would be L37.
    The 275hp engine will be designated by a "Y" and model number would be LD8.

The L37, adn teh LD8, is basically the same concept as LS1, or LS6. It might be stamped on the block, but I'm not sure.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

The VIN for the car the engine was in should be stamped on a pad on the lower right front corner of the engine block...next to the parting line between the upper and lower crankcase joint.

Look at the engine carefully on the front and rear surfaces. Chances are that there is still a sticker on the front or rear that would have the factory alpha codes on it. It is a small, squarish sticker with three large lettes and a bar code. Look at the middle letter. If it is a "M" the engine is a 300 HP L37....if the middle letter is a "Y" then it is a 275 HP LD8.

This is just a temporary sticker that the factories use to visually track engines before they VIN is stamped on it so the sticker may be gone but most always you can find some remanent of it on the front or rear...it was placed on both ends of the engine when it was built.

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

It might also be easier to mic the intake cam lobe(s)..... it was for me.

shookman34 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

This may sound like a dumb question, but which letter/number of the VIN should we be looking at when determining this....my VIN has both a 9 and a Y in it. And where would you find the model number on the car??? Would appreciate any help here

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by shookman34
    This may sound like a dumb question, but which letter/number of the VIN should we be looking at when determining this....my VIN has both a 9 and a Y in it. And where would you find the model number on the car??? Would appreciate any help here
    8th digit. What do you mean by model number? You mean model or something? If so, just type the vin into carfax.com, and it'll show you the year make and model......

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.