1994 Northstar Swap
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 1994 Northstar Swap in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Anyone know of a shop in the Chicago land area that can swap a VIN 9 code crate engine into ...
    cacmanjr is offline Cadillac Owners Member

1994 Northstar Swap

Anyone know of a shop in the Chicago land area that can swap a VIN 9 code crate engine into my VIN Y code Seville? Just looking for someone to do a professional job. The crate motor does not come with the intake manifold so it would have to be swapped from the old motor.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Spyder is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.

Re: 1994 Northstar Swap

9 and Y are not easily done...it has been done by a few on here, but general consensus is that it shouldn't be done, as the time, money and hassle are not worth the effort.

32V_DOHC is offline Cadillac Owners Member

To really do it right you would need a 3.71 final drive a VIN 9 torque convertor and a vin 9 MEMCAL. You can just put it in but the lack of stall and tall gears will make it a dog.

HTH

John

cart69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96STS engine only!! only thing left from my 96 after divorce

good info i was kinda curious about the differences too, so its not just the motor after all!!!

also what are you doin with the old motor you remove from the seville??? i live just outside of the chicagoland area and would maybe be interested in the old motor depending on what wrong with it. let me know and good luck

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Quote Originally Posted by cacmanjr
    Anyone know of a shop in the Chicago land area that can swap a VIN 9 code crate engine into my VIN Y code Seville? Just looking for someone to do a professional job. The crate motor does not come with the intake manifold so it would have to be swapped from the old motor.

If you are just swapping the motor into the car you have the correct trans and such.....

The engines should interchange directly but you may notice some driveability issues as the PCM calibration will not match the diffferent engine operating characteristics. It will run "OK" but will not perform perfectly without the correct cal in the PCM.

When both engines are out you can swap the intake cams from your old engine into the new one as that is the only difference between the two in terms of performance. The valve springs in your original engine are also slighlyt stiffer but, for general use, the springs in the new engine will work.

Is the crate engine a 93 or 94 engine?? If not, then it is NOT a direct replacement for the engine in your car. The cylinder heads, intake manifold, fuel rail, wiring harness, etc... all had significant differences between the 93/94 and later model year Northstars. You cannot put your 93/94 intake on a later engine....it will pysically set on there but the passages in the head and water crossover casting for the EGR system will not work and the manifold will not seal properly.

Arrow Re: 1994 Northstar Swap

Spyder and 32V_DOHC, as I understand it the car will have less acceleration from having a different final drive ratio and different computer calibration. These are not issues for me as long as the car runs decently.

bbob, i may swap the intake cams depending on how the car runs after the engine swap. The engine is a 93/94 crate motor, just a 9 instead of a Y. I really don't want to swap the cams because the crate motor has a 3 year, 36000 mile warranty and I don't want to void it if possible. If it really runs that bad, I will do the cam swap.

Cart69, I don't have a plan for the engine coming out, unless I decide to use the intake cams. It only has 73000 miles on it and I am changing it out because it has blown head gaskets. Still starts and drives well.

Can anyone tell me if there is a RWD trans that will fit a FWD Northstar engine. Is the bell housing pattern the standard BOP from yesteryear? It would make an interesting swap into my 77 Buick Skyhawk.

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by bbob
    You cannot put your 93/94 intake on a later engine....it will pysically set on there but the passages in the head and water crossover casting for the EGR system will not work and the manifold will not seal properly.
    I was told that it works, but you won't have an EGR system (no big deal to me)... Why would it not seal properly?

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Quote Originally Posted by eldorado1
    I was told that it works, but you won't have an EGR system (no big deal to me)... Why would it not seal properly?

The later heads will not have the alignment pins for the phenolic spacers and it is hard to get the phenolic spacer plates, the seals and the intake manifold assembled correctly....not impossible but difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by bbob
    The later heads will not have the alignment pins for the phenolic spacers and it is hard to get the phenolic spacer plates, the seals and the intake manifold assembled correctly....not impossible but difficult.
    IIRC the heads had the holes, and the spacers had the pins? I would imagine then it would just be a matter of drilling the (outter?) bolt holes to accept the pins. The inner bolt holes being the manifold bolts.... Sorry for the hijack... carry on!

Can anyone tell me if there is a RWD trans that will fit a FWD Northstar engine. Is the bell housing pattern the standard BOP from yesteryear? It would make an interesting swap into my 77 Buick Skyhawk. Anybody??

Quote Originally Posted by cacmanjr
    Can anyone tell me if there is a RWD trans that will fit a FWD Northstar engine. Is the bell housing pattern the standard BOP from yesteryear? It would make an interesting swap into my 77 Buick Skyhawk. Anybody??
    maybe... Wasn't the 2.8 v6 s-10 RWD? Not the 4wd version... I don't remember the name of the tranny specifically... 4l60? but it is the same bolt pattern as the northstar. Just get that one beefed up to handle the torque, and it should be good to go. Unless you want a manual...

either case, just remember that the northstar has the same bolt pattern as a GM 60 degree v6... you know, 2.8/3.1/3.4... But it does have that starter in the v of the block, which may make things difficult.

Thanks for the info, Eldorado1. Maybe I will fix the old motor and stick it in my Skyhawk.

The swap is complete. I don't notice any difference between the Y code engne vs. the 9 code engine. The car runs great!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.