Lurching idle
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Lurching idle in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; For several weeks now my 2008 N* has been idling poorly. For a lack of a better word it is ...
    Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

Lurching idle

For several weeks now my 2008 N* has been idling poorly. For a lack of a better word it is lurching at idle. In gear or park doesn't matter. But it is more pronounced in gear. The rpm doesn't change but it feels like the car wants to start driving on its own. These are brief occurances but frequent. Once I give it throttle all is fine. Since I thought it seemed like a vacuum leak I have already changed the intake plenum, intake manifold gaskets, MAP sensor, also changed the crankshaft position sensor, both knock sensors, camshaft position sensor, wiring harness for these sensors, thorughly cleaned the throttle body and the EGR and the MAF. Next on tap is to change the throttle body gasket. I also bought 4 injectors to swap out a side at a time. This issue still persists and I am wondering if I am missing something. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    Don

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Lurching idle

Don ........... Long shot, but what about a bad resistance strip in the TPS ? The PCM could be "hunting" for an idle reference.

............ but the "no rpm change" thing is a mystery.

Yeah I know right. I think I am going to do the gasket change and injector swap and if I still get nowhere it is time to have the dealer check it out. I just know that it is gonna cost a metric ton to have it fixed there. And that is if they diagnose it right the first time.

Don

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

No DTC's?

No DTC's. That is what is killing me. This is one time I was praying for a code to set. Anyway I changed the throttle body gasket today. Also cleaned the throttle body AGAIN. Damn they get dirty fast. But no change. I then swapped the four right side (rear) injectors. Although it feels like the issue is resolved I will hold elation until driving the car a few days. Once before I thought it was repaired only to have the issue resurface.

Does anyone know it the injectors has a bench test procedure? Like a resistance check? Or do they need to be on the vehicle to test them? I have a DVD repair manual and the test procedures listed are either on the vehicle or with some fancy test equipment that I do not own. But a simple resistance check I can do. Would be nice to know if one or more injectors are just dirty needing cleaning or faulty

Don

I think our injector coil resistance should be 11 - 14 Ohms.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    I think our injector coil resistance should be 11 - 14 Ohms.
    But is that a bench test procedure or an on the car one? The manual I have kind of makes it seem that you use the Tech 2 for that. Just wondering

Don

An unplugged injector should measure XX Ω across the two terminals either in the manifold or on the bench.

Okay so I changed out the 4 injectors and my problem is 90% cured. Do not want to deal with this anymore so I am buying 4 more. Anyway I tested the 4 old ones. Three of the tested at 11.9-12.3 ohms. The other one went between 11.9 and infinity. Couldn't get it to stay in spec for more than 10 seconds or so. It was bouncing all around. Then I decided to check the other four that I didn't change. Since I had just drove the car the engine was hot. All four tested at about 14.8 or so. I am guessing because of the heat. Also didn't keep the multimeter on there too long because of the heat so I couldn't check for variances over time. Anyway there are 4 more injectors in my future. I will post again once I get them and install them.

Don

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

WOW! Injectors are pretty reliable. I'm surprised to hear that.

Me too. I would have bet the farm it was a vacuum leak. Injectors didn't even cross my mind. Hoping that changing the other four makes the issue 100% fixed.

Don

Ended up being a severe misfire on cylinder 8. And a miniscule misfire on cylinder 1. Dealer installed a good used coil in 8 and the issue is 99% gone. So I bought two coils and when they arrive I will install them in 1 and 8. I will return the used coil to the dealer. But finally it is nice to have a properly functioning Cadillac again

Don

Replacing coils 1 and 8 fixed the issue. Engine runs butter smooth again.

Don

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

The individual coils on newer cars die all the time. Beauty covers covering everything and they don't help dissipating heat. Plastic is a lousy thermal conductor. And in most cases they even have those sound deadening material, which also provides a good heat insulation...

I have seen several cars having dead coils within a few years, most of them having individual coils on plug covered by engine beauty covers. Never had any problem with exposed 99 coil packs, or 00 ICM with heat sinks.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Funny you mention that Harry... according to the previous work history on my Deville a few of the coil packs have already been replaced. It was the same situation with my BMW as well.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.