OVERHEATING (Long) - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, OVERHEATING (Long) in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; As a side note I think jake told me that his kit can be used even after a big sert ...
    RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)
    As a side note I think jake told me that his kit can be used even after a big sert job if they fail (which I've never seen - and we've been doing big sert jobs for a long time.)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: OVERHEATING (Long)

Quote Originally Posted by TurboRay View Post
    Well.......I now have some new info from my friend, the owner of the car. She called this morning to tell me that she suddenly recalled that the car had "a head job" - as she put it - done once before. "Just GREAT", I thought! I asked if she had her receipt for the work and she said, "Yes, I dug it outta my car records and have it here" - so, I had her read the list of parts that were used and - sure enough - about halfway thru, she read, "Time-Serts".

Soooooo...........now I'm wondering what kinda can-o-worms I'm about to open up!! Can the larger inserts ("Big-Serts" or "Norm's") or the studs still be used? I'm scared!! I guess the only way to know for sure is to get this POS apart and have a look-see (I got a late start today, due to illness).

C'ya - RAY
    One thing to keep in mind is that IF this was a warranty job, GM will only authorize Timeserting holes with pulled threads as opposed to all 20 (the proper way). So it's entirely possible that it may only have one or two bolt holes Timeserted. The other possibility is that they either did not hold or should never have been done in the first place (see the "Root Cause" Sticky in the Northstar forum).

TurboRay is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE (friend has '98 DeVille)

Smile Re: OVERHEATING (Long)

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    No sense posting two identical threads on the same problem in two different forums - the jumping around accomplishes nothing. This thread is not specifically germane to Deville - so here it sits in Northstar.
    I agree completely - but, of course, I had no way of moving it myself, lol! THANX for consolidating everything........and SORRY for posting in the wrong section.

Ranger - The previous job was apparently done by an independent shop - not as a warranty repair by GM - so, short of calling my friend back to see how many inserts were used, I won't know until I get it apart.

Anyway, I'll be back at it tomorrow morning (very little got done today, due to illness) and - hopefully - have the heads off by the afternoon and able to see how the block holes look!

C'ya - RAY

We always inserted all holes. No point in only doing the stripped holes no matter what warranty guidelines say.
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Makes sense, but who pays?

I can't really recall exactly (it's been so long since we've don't a warranty HG repair)
    but we would probably have found all 20 holes to have need for drilling/tapping/inserting and GM would have no problem paying for the full job
    i doubt they ever asked for any blocks back as cores for the sole purpose of catching a dealer inserting 20 holes when they should have only done 4

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.