Anyone that has pulled an N*? PLEASE! I need some advice. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree3Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Anyone that has pulled an N*? PLEASE! I need some advice. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; ...
    83CADMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 83 Eldorado, 90 Seville, 94 Concours

Re: Anyone that has pulled an N*? PLEASE! I need some advice.

1994 Caddy N-star removal 010.jpgUPDATE:
    I pulled the right head and discovered the engine hadn’t been torn down before. (The one owner, AZ car has 117K miles and has sat on blocks with bat removed & gas drained in a corner of my shop since 2007). There were some fluffy black oily deposits on the piston crowns that cleaned right up with a gentle brush. The bolts on the other hand…I don’t know what to think. 1994 Caddy N-star removal 011.jpg1994 Caddy N-star removal 012.jpg
    A friend, whom is a machinist, has offered to help me with the block tapping and is also modifying a “power steering pump pulley removal tool” to fit the “left head cam mounted water pump drive pulley”. The alignment dowel part of the tool is too large a diameter to fit so he is turning it down and shorting it a mite. I’m anxious to pull the left head since it is the side my local Caddy dealership diagnosed with H/G issue.
    I stocked a Felpro upper-end gasket set this weekend, Thanks O’RAP. I’m planning on ordering a set of head fasteners today from…..Wait for it........CCC!

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    Using timeserts? A timesert kit is 300 used. Sell it for 300 when ur done. Don't need no special tools from machinist friend to tap block correctly. Use the timesert kit
    hipper likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stoveguyy View Post
    Using timeserts? A timesert kit is 300 used. Sell it for 300 when ur done. Don't need no special tools from machinist friend to tap block correctly. Use the timesert kit
    Lets see.......
    Buy used tools off ebay and resell them later for the same $300? Plus add the cost of serts? $$$ And still got to drill and tap? Don’t forget the set of new head bolts $$$
    VS
    STUD THE THING (TKSCCC)
    The only special tools I need are drill bits and taps for the specific fasteners I’ve chosen.
    And wouldn’t I need them for the sert method anyway?
    My machinist friend is providing his experience with alum. And is modifying my P/S pulley puller to fit the cam pulley. The only tool that he might custom fab would be an alignment fixture and I guarantee it wouldn’t cost anywhere near $300.
    Therefore…..
    No timeserts for me thank you.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

IIRC, the TimeSert procedure has been superseded by the BigSert procedure.

And there are 3 other fully acceptable alternatives out there right now - 4 if you want to get creative with ARP studs and others' inserts .......

The left head came off yesterday once I removed the pulley off the cam. BTW the modified puller worked great. (Thanks Greg)
    Every bolt cracked loose except the two lower ones at #8. They lifted out easily, complete with alum threads. Further inspection reveled the head gasket had a hole in it just inside the water inlet port. It appears turbulence from the W/P pushing coolant into the head eroded the gasket material between block and cylinder. This allowed fluid to reach the bolts promoting corrosion thus IMO causing the thread failure which compromised the seal at the cylinder. Escaping super hot gasses under compression super heat the coolant to boil over temps, and fast. No white smoke, no consumption of coolant and no contamination of oil. The things normally associated with head gasket failure.
    I don’t care what coolant you want to use, they all will promote rapid corrosion between dissimilar metals when exposed. And ya, excessive forces due to engine mounting bracket attached to the head may have contributed. Just attaching a lifting sling to that corner of the engine when I lifted it out of the car may have contributed to the pulled threads for all I know. But that hole worn through the gasket IMO is the culprit.
    Anyone else seen this eroded gasket condition?
    1994 Caddy N-star removal 013.jpg1994 Caddy N-star removal 015.jpg1994 Caddy N-star removal 016.jpg

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.