Sell or Keep N*
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Sell or Keep N* in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I don't have the amount of cash to fix my N* at all for a few months. Tell then I ...
    BONNEVILLEGXP is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Bonneville GXP

Sell or Keep N*

I don't have the amount of cash to fix my N* at all for a few months. Tell then I am out of a car, but even if I did have the cash, I'm not quite sure if its worth it. My car in its current shape is worth about 8K with good heads. So a 3K repair is almost half of what the car is worth. The car is also has a bad power steering rack, wheel bearings, and the transmission is showing signs of poor maintenance. It shifts perfect and never slips, but I found the bolts are not all the same head size and it's missing a bolt. Also more than half the bolts on the oil pan and tranny pan were extremely loose. If I got it up to par mechanical wise I'm looking at 5K if a shop does it, that is if the tranny does not bite the dust. I'm willing to do the work myself, but I don't have the time as I work full time. I'm thinking about trading for a car off less value that has more life in it than my GXP. It's painful to get rid of such a nice car for something of less caliber, but it's being a absolute nightmare too keep it running.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Sell or Keep N*

If this was a question, it sounds like you've already answered it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    If this was a question, it sounds like you've already answered it.
    Well next step would be as to how? I have a $8,000 payoff on the car.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    Cars! Talked to seller of 02 SLS. Thinks it has bad headgaskets. Just bought it for 5800 and will take 2800. Has 125k miles. Why the heck he paid 5800 is crazy. But dealers charge a premium for shiny cars

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Unfortunately, it sounds as if you're upside down in the car.......... BUT if you "trade" it on another used car you'll most likely be even further in debt - with no guarantees that the new (used) car would be any less of a money drain.

20/20 hindsight, but perhaps the GXP was not a wise decision as a daily driver.

I don't see how you can get out of this unscathed. You're gonna take it in the shorts one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409
    Unfortunately, it sounds as if you're upside down in the car.......... BUT if you "trade" it on another used car you'll most likely be even further in debt - with no guarantees that the new (used) car would be any less of a money drain.

I went look at a Saturn Ion and seen this in the lot. I just simply wanted to drive it, and I did. My dad and I thought we could do some haggling and see if we could get it for a good price then come back once we decide its the right car. We never thought a bank would loan on a car that old with its kind of miles, but somehow they did. We were caught up in the excitement and he signed the papers. It was a very bad mistake and we still can't figure out how it happened. We do have it documented of how we wanted to use their 7 day buy back program, but they would not let us. We told them we would sue and they came back with saying that they'll fix the car 100% and make it like its new. I'm going to call the lot up and set up a meeting with the GM and discuss the possibility of them taking the GXP back and trading the loam out on a Chevy Trailblazer they have. Wish me luck!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by stoveguyy
    Cars! Talked to seller of 02 SLS. Thinks it has bad headgaskets. Just bought it for 5800 and will take 2800. Has 125k miles. Why the heck he paid 5800 is crazy. But dealers charge a premium for shiny cars
    It's so painful to let to of such a substantial car and getting screwed over in the process.

----------

I don't see how you can get out of this unscathed. You're gonna take it in the shorts one way or the other.
    Where I sit now, my only hope is a hailstorm to come by and total it out, them to trade it out in a Trailblazer, or it's going to sit in my driveway for a few years rotting away while I make payments on it and another car. I'm hoping the hailstorm will come through!

Quote Originally Posted by BONNEVILLEGXP View Post
    it's going to sit in my driveway for a few years rotting away while I make payments on it and another car.
    You're better off trading it and taking you lumps. Something is better than nothing.

You're better off trading it and taking you lumps. Something is better than nothing.
    Sadly it's a straw purchase and my dad refuses to roll over back equity.

Would you think any "Mechanic in a Can" would get it to put false negatives and quit steaming long enough to trade it off? I know it's not moral to do, but I've got to protect myself.

----------

I also would like to know your opinion. Would it be wise to use some "Mechanic in a Can" to get it to post negative block tests and to stop steaming long enough to trade it off at a dealership? I know it's not right to do, but I've got to protect myself.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Would you think any "Mechanic in a Can" would get it to put false negatives and quit steaming long enough to trade it off? I know it's not moral to do, but I've got to protect myself.

----------

I also would like to know your opinion. Would it be wise to use some "Mechanic in a Can" to get it to post negative block tests and to stop steaming long enough to trade it off at a dealership? I know it's not right to do, but I've got to protect myself.
    Hell No

Because the various "Mechanic in a bottle" products are not a real repair - only a BandAid (and a very temporary one in the case of the Northstar) - I would never resort to the procedure to falsify the true condition of a vehicle. If, for some reason, I sell the STS the buyer will know every wart on the car before he signs a check.

"OK, We'll take you car in trade - top dollar. What shape is it in ?" "Oh, just fine. It runs great." What does that make the seller ???

A dealer (or anyone else) CAN come after you legally if they can prove that you knew of a defect and covered it up. A cooling system full of "repair-in-a-bottle" is pretty damning evidence.

A dealer (or anyone else) CAN come after you legally if they can prove that you knew of a defect and covered it up. A cooling system full of "repair-in-a-bottle" is pretty damning evidence.
    I would never sell the car to a individual. I don't want anyone to have this to deal with, but a dealership? After selling cars for Ford, I can say that they knowingly sell cars with major problems. We had a 2001 Subaru Outback for a trade and gave top dollar for it, but once we got it in the rack to do the state safety inspection, it had been power washed underneath to hide 6 different leaks, oil pan full of Lucus so thick it was like syrup, and a welded A/C clutch. They couldn't do anything about it but cut their losses and send it to their "Buy Here, Pay Here!" Lots. It's worth taking a chance, and my lawyer is ruthless. If I have to use him he will get it where I smell great, I would just have to pay him, and he is not cheap.

----------

Because the various "Mechanic in a bottle" products are not a real repair - only a BandAid (and a very temporary one in the case of the Northstar) - I would never resort to the procedure to falsify the true condition of a vehicle. If, for some reason, I sell the STS the buyer will know every wart on the car before he signs a check.

"OK, We'll take you car in trade - top dollar. What shape is it in ?" "Oh, just fine. It runs great." What does that make the seller ???
    It makes me a sadistic hineyhole, but I've got to look after myself first. I also wouldn't trade it off at one of the good dealers in town, but just one that's known to screw people over.

You've already shot yourself in the foot, twice:
    1. If the used car lot would screw me, how do you get off scot-free at the beginning of the deal ?
    2. Not needing a lawyer whose fee is "not cheap" might just pay for an engine stud job.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.