Best way to clean the engine bay?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By Submariner409
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Best way to clean the engine bay? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; 7 years ago I had a place detail and clean the engine bay for me and they got moisture into ...
    weister42 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville Sedan

Best way to clean the engine bay?

7 years ago I had a place detail and clean the engine bay for me and they got moisture into the plug boot so it ran like crap, they apologized and fixed it but that was the last time I cleaned my engine bay.

So what do you guys do to keep the engine bay clean?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Best way to clean the engine bay?

I've always used a garden hose (judiciously of coarse) or an engine cleaning gun (requires an air compressor). Not sure I'd use the garden hose any more with the COP ignition.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Dilute some mean green 1 part to 10 water, and dampen a rag with the mix. Wipe away.

amunderdog is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Best way?

A bucket - A rag - A tooth brush - A gallon of diesel - compressed air.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Basically, there is no "best way". Pressure washing is out, as is garden hose - too many electrical possibilities as well as water in the engine block valley, (thus flooding the starter motor), and ruining the alternator/voltage regulator.

Time, spray bottle, mean green mix, rags, brushes, air gun, shop vac, scotch&water, old toothbrushes, ArmorAll (or SOaG), patience.
    vincentm and vincentm like this.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT

I do still use the pressure washer on modern cars...but my intentions aren't exactly the same. I do not attempt to wash the engine itself - it doesn't bother me if it's dirty - but I do, however, pressure wash the strut towers, inner wheel wells, the rad cradle, battery tray, other sheetmetal nooks and crannies, and steel cooling lines where salt buildup over the winter may cause corrosion trouble down the road (I'm not worried about it looking clean, just not corroding). Grease, oil, and regular dirt is of little concern and can stay in place. Most of this stuff you'd never be able to reach with solvent, a brush, and eternal patience without disassembly (take the rad out of a daily driven northern vehicle, and be amazed at the years salt and corrosion you may find underneath!). Much of it really needs to be rinsed clean to be effective rather than wiped off. Again, this is done carefully as to not directly spray the engine itself. I do this once every spring when winter's over, and have yet to experience any negative results...

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

I take great pride to have my engine bay clean, actually is cleaner than the car body.
    The BEST way is to do it often, is just a matter or wiping the dust, if you let it sit for long time it will be a difficult job.
    I clean my engine weekly (seriously).

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Quote Originally Posted by N*Caddy View Post
    I take great pride to have my engine bay clean, actually is cleaner than the car body.
    The BEST way is to do it often, is just a matter or wiping the dust, if you let it sit for long time it will be a difficult job.
    I clean my engine weekly (seriously).
    You have a crooked plug wire

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

I spray the entire engine compartment with a 3:1 dilution of Simple Green. I let it sit for a few minutes. Then I take my Daytona Speed Brush with a bucket of car wash soap and hit as many areas as I can. Rinse it all away with the garden hose set to a soft setting. Have been doing this twice a year for a lot of years without issue.

Don

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.