Custom Intake Finished!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Custom Intake Finished! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; After many hours of pondering what to do w/ my intake as far as upgrading it, I came up with ...
    playaman is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Custom Intake Finished!

After many hours of pondering what to do w/ my intake as far as upgrading it, I came up with what I think is an awesome idea for and intake, and it's free

Ok, so, remove all the piping of your intake from the airbos and on. By this I mean, silencer and the other portion that snakes around the car (on my 94 seville STS, anyways). Then, take out your airbox and grab a saw. Cut the bottom of the airbox out so it's just a huge open area to the air filter. The surface area is just as much if not MORE than a cone filter. The air filter still fits inside the desired place. So... in summary, take the bottom half of the airbox and make it completely open to air by cutting off part of the plastic. I'll see if I can get a pic sometimes today and post it. But, I have class right now. Lemme know what you guys think. Lata.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Unless I'm missing what you're saying, that will lead to a lot of high temp engine compartment air being drawn into the filter won't it?

kcnewell is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Funny.....I was thinkin' the same thing!

That's not funny, it's scary

Devil_concours is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    what about running a longer pipe to move the intake towards the front fender? That will help bringing in lot more cold air.

I'd be looking for a way to get the cooler outside air in the quantitys you're looking for into the airbox. Possibly fabricate an intake tube to route air from outside the engine compartment to where you need it to go! The thing that you need to remember is that these cars are already engineered to run very well and the systems you're playing with are pretty delicately balanced if you mess around with one you can throw something out of whack on down the line. It is NOT uncommon to see a guy LOSE power by changing things he does not FULLY understand. Be careful what you change.

Dead Sled is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    well said KC. the idea of modifying your filter and intake is to get it away for the engine heat. So idealy you would either get it through a scoop through the fender or down under the front air dam area. You improoved the flow to the filter but Im afraid you got the air from the wrong place

i also heard that ram air nearly useless unless you travel at high rate of speed. I've had some good result on my gtp when i moved the intake down near the front fender.

Originally posted by Devil_concours
    i also heard that ram air nearly useless unless you travel at high rate of speed. I've had some good result on my gtp when i moved the intake down near the front fender.
    true, the real advantage of Ram Air is to get fresh cool air in there, Not force air in like a blower even though its marketed like that

i guess only way to increase large amount of power is by forced induction system.

the internal combustion engine is a large air pump the more air you can move in and out the more power you make. so make the intake flow and exhaust flow and you have power

Blowers have the disadvantage of using power form the engine to turn

Turbos use exhaust to power it self as long as you dont creat too much back presure

N20 itself doesnt burn but it cools the incomming air making it more dense and adding another molecule of oxygen

these methods are the most popular way of gettin gbang for the buck

The easiest thing for you to do is to construct a box around the filter that seals to the underside of the hood when closed. This will make the filter draw through the OEM path and NOT from the engine compartment. This is basically what the K&N kit does around the cone filter.
    As for Ram-Air effect and/or forced-induction systems, Passive types such as standard ram-air can be effective as long as the duct is placed in the proper area. You need to have it in a "high-pressure" area such as the cowel area, or the front facia.
    Turbos are nice because it's basically free energy but they bring high heat loads to your motor oil, and engine compartment. And they are of little use at low throttle angles.
    Superchargers on the other hand pose a substantial parasitic load on the engine but are power builders at ALL throttle angles and don't substantially increase heat loads beyond the actual combustion chambers.

The point being, DO IT RIGHT or DON'T DO IT at all. Custom isn't always better, Sometimes it's better, Sometimes it's just different and Sometimes it's worse. It's not like throwing a set of headers on your old Chevelle anymore, Now you have to put a little more thought into engine mods....No matter how minor!

what about heatshield below the intake? would that help any?

Maybe a little...But it doesn't really address the ambient air temperature in the engine compartment. If you want cooler intake air you have to go outside the engine compartment to get it! when I refered to fabricating a tube or something like that earlier I was more interested in getting at the cooler air than at any kind of ram air benefit.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.