Cadillac Owners Forum banner
12K views 88 replies 10 participants last post by  playaman 
#1 ·
After many hours of pondering what to do w/ my intake as far as upgrading it, I came up with what I think is an awesome idea for and intake, and it's free :)

Ok, so, remove all the piping of your intake from the airbos and on. By this I mean, silencer and the other portion that snakes around the car (on my 94 seville STS, anyways). Then, take out your airbox and grab a saw. Cut the bottom of the airbox out so it's just a huge open area to the air filter. The surface area is just as much if not MORE than a cone filter. The air filter still fits inside the desired place. So... in summary, take the bottom half of the airbox and make it completely open to air by cutting off part of the plastic. I'll see if I can get a pic sometimes today and post it. But, I have class right now. Lemme know what you guys think. Lata.

#27 ·
OK. Funny, i was thinking about doing the EXACT same thing, almost to the letter. Is your KN an open end filter, becuase if not you could be having more restriction then if you would have the stock filter. Something you may consider, i looked on KNs website and found that there are ROUND panel filters. Something that may interest you.....

If i made you feel bad about the setup, i am sorry. IMO though, i think you could have gotten the same results using different methods. But i will say that it does sound like a good setup.

#28 ·
Yes, it's an open-end filter. a ROUND filter DOES sound like something I should look into. Thanks. Thanks for the interest as well. I realize my 1st setup (cutting off bottom of airbox) was inefficient but this one should prove much more efficient.

#29 ·
good luck with the new mod

#30 ·
I have been doing a lot of research on this topic, but found that in this case the easiest is the best. Since you have already done away with the airbox, i guess you have the next best thing. I would recommend running another hose to the outside somewhere, either behind the grille or in the air dam. Either or.

#31 ·
Do realize that if you run an open element air filter, and have the PCM located inside your engine compartment, that part of the functionality of the airbox was to draw air around and over the cooling fins of the PCM. You'll notice that the airbox (on many models) draws air right from the PCM's surface, in effect creating airflow across those cooling fins. Keeping the PCM cool is important, especially when running in very hot weather.

This isn't to say that your PCM will overheat if you run a cone filter(it probably will not), but by re-routing the intake air, you'll be losing that protection that was designed into the system.

#32 ·
something i did not realize. But i did know that taking out things like the airbox seems harmless, but if it wasnt needed then they wouldnt have put it there in the first place! Thats why i was against taking out, or even messing with the airbox to that extent.

#34 ·
did you copy and paste it into your address bar?

Here is another link to it, it worked fine for me: CLICK HERE

#36 ·
I was thinking about some other form of that....

I was thinking about putting something over the air dam (something as wide and high) that would funnel down to about a 3.5 in flexible hose, which would lead to the airbox. What do you think about that, would it mess up the aerodynamics?

#38 ·
Umm.... all they use is hard plastic.... not sure what you meant by that but I HOPE it's not an insult. BTW, I have noticed MUCH MUCH MUCH better throttle response w/ this system over the stock one. In the future, I'll be sure not to post modifications to my car w/ the hope of educating the board seeing as how you all have the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" methodology.

Who knows? This may spark someone else to come up w/ an even better idea. Sorry for wasting all of your time w/ my personal experiences.

*flame suit on*

"Why make your chevy small block 350 a blown 427 stroker? Don't you think Chevy would have done that if it increased performance?"

I guess that's the reason you guys own cadillacs. You're a bunch of old people who have lost the true spirit of the automobile.

*flame suit off*

Thanks to all those who have true interest in modifying their cadillacs and are interested in other people's setups.

Edit: Jadcock, I think drawing the air in from outside the car will make it cooler than anywhere under the hood.

#40 ·
playaman,

Please don't take too much offense to constructive criticism. Yes, some of us Cadillac owners are of advanced age. I'm 43 and feel more like 24. I grew up with hot rods and while not as much of a motor head as some, I would research a bit on a project prior to actually doing some work that I might regret later. A wise man learns from his mistakes and hopefully will not make the same mistake again. We are all here for the same reason......to learn and share. You might want to keep that flame suit handy if you feel the need, but I think you could retire it and and just take things with a grain of salt.

The Old Fart

#41 ·
playaman said:
Edit: Jadcock, I think drawing the air in from outside the car will make it cooler than anywhere under the hood.
Absolutely. Any air you get from outside the car will be cooler than under the hood. Re-read my post. It doesn't say that drawing the air over the cooling fins of your PCM will keep the air cooler, it says it will keep the PCM cooler -- to prevent a situation where it might overheat (like in 105F weather and stop and go traffic).

If you don't draw the air across the PCM, that computer is subject to the intense heat underneath the hood -- with no air moving across it to cool it off. Again, you probably won't have any problems -- I just wanted to point out the possibility.

#42 ·
But the stock airbox draws in air from behind the FR headlight, nowhere near the PCM. As far as I understand it, and can see, the stock intake doesn't draw air into the engine at a position which would cool down the PCM. Also, I'm not blocking the grille or air dam w/ my intake so I'm not sure as to what you're saying. Please clarify as overheating IS a concern for me. Thanks.

#43 ·
I was talking about an idea i had about the air dam.

#45 ·
no, it was just an idea of mine. I just wanted to see what you all thought about it. I didnt really think it was necessary to start a new thread, because it was already in the custom intake.

#46 ·
playaman said:
But the stock airbox draws in air from behind the FR headlight, nowhere near the PCM. As far as I understand it, and can see, the stock intake doesn't draw air into the engine at a position which would cool down the PCM. Also, I'm not blocking the grille or air dam w/ my intake so I'm not sure as to what you're saying. Please clarify as overheating IS a concern for me. Thanks.
You probably have an earlier model Seville. Sometime in the mid 1990s (not sure of the exact year), they moved to the PCM to the underhood area. Fewer wires this way, plus the PCM stays cooler...as long as its in the flow of intake air.

http://jadcock.oldsgmail.com/cadsls/images/intake3.jpg

That's a picture of the setup with the PCM under the hood. That large silver metal hunk visible through the hole is the PCM's cooling fins. You wouldn't believe that the Northstar can suck 300 horsies through that hole, but it really does work! They spend lots of time and money to perfect the system.

Note, that picture was taken when I had the cone filter. I've since took it off and put the airbox back on and have been happier overall with it.

#49 ·
sal, are you talking about the link i posted earlier. I dont know whats wrong, i havent had any problems. One thing, if it isnt working, you may have to log in. Try that. Sometimes in order for it to stay logged in, you will have to enable cookies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.