Custom Intake Finished! - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Custom Intake Finished! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Do realize that if you run an open element air filter, and have the PCM located inside your engine compartment, ...
    jadcock is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 2001 STS
    Do realize that if you run an open element air filter, and have the PCM located inside your engine compartment, that part of the functionality of the airbox was to draw air around and over the cooling fins of the PCM. You'll notice that the airbox (on many models) draws air right from the PCM's surface, in effect creating airflow across those cooling fins. Keeping the PCM cool is important, especially when running in very hot weather.

This isn't to say that your PCM will overheat if you run a cone filter(it probably will not), but by re-routing the intake air, you'll be losing that protection that was designed into the system.

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
    something i did not realize. But i did know that taking out things like the airbox seems harmless, but if it wasnt needed then they wouldnt have put it there in the first place! Thats why i was against taking out, or even messing with the airbox to that extent.

Allante North * is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1993 Triple Black Allante
    I'm a beliver that if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

did you copy and paste it into your address bar?

Here is another link to it, it worked fine for me: CLICK HERE

Thanks for the update Wes. I did see that thread before and it sounds much better than butchering the airbox.

I was thinking about some other form of that....

I was thinking about putting something over the air dam (something as wide and high) that would funnel down to about a 3.5 in flexible hose, which would lead to the airbox. What do you think about that, would it mess up the aerodynamics?

ljklaiber is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS 200K miles
    PVC!
    Caddy engineers will love this one. ...ROFLMAO!

playaman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Umm.... all they use is hard plastic.... not sure what you meant by that but I HOPE it's not an insult. BTW, I have noticed MUCH MUCH MUCH better throttle response w/ this system over the stock one. In the future, I'll be sure not to post modifications to my car w/ the hope of educating the board seeing as how you all have the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" methodology.

Who knows? This may spark someone else to come up w/ an even better idea. Sorry for wasting all of your time w/ my personal experiences.

*flame suit on*

"Why make your chevy small block 350 a blown 427 stroker? Don't you think Chevy would have done that if it increased performance?"

I guess that's the reason you guys own cadillacs. You're a bunch of old people who have lost the true spirit of the automobile.

*flame suit off*

Thanks to all those who have true interest in modifying their cadillacs and are interested in other people's setups.

Edit: Jadcock, I think drawing the air in from outside the car will make it cooler than anywhere under the hood.

ljklaiber is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS 200K miles
    I B 62, and old for sure. Check your shorts JR! We invented 'HOT ROD' Been racin for pay for 35 years. From my 56 chevy to my current caddillac...I ai't slack! You just invent the wheel Son! Carry on!

playaman,

Please don't take too much offense to constructive criticism. Yes, some of us Cadillac owners are of advanced age. I'm 43 and feel more like 24. I grew up with hot rods and while not as much of a motor head as some, I would research a bit on a project prior to actually doing some work that I might regret later. A wise man learns from his mistakes and hopefully will not make the same mistake again. We are all here for the same reason......to learn and share. You might want to keep that flame suit handy if you feel the need, but I think you could retire it and and just take things with a grain of salt.

The Old Fart

jadcock is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 2001 STS
    Originally posted by playaman
    Edit: Jadcock, I think drawing the air in from outside the car will make it cooler than anywhere under the hood.
    Absolutely. Any air you get from outside the car will be cooler than under the hood. Re-read my post. It doesn't say that drawing the air over the cooling fins of your PCM will keep the air cooler, it says it will keep the PCM cooler -- to prevent a situation where it might overheat (like in 105F weather and stop and go traffic).

If you don't draw the air across the PCM, that computer is subject to the intense heat underneath the hood -- with no air moving across it to cool it off. Again, you probably won't have any problems -- I just wanted to point out the possibility.

But the stock airbox draws in air from behind the FR headlight, nowhere near the PCM. As far as I understand it, and can see, the stock intake doesn't draw air into the engine at a position which would cool down the PCM. Also, I'm not blocking the grille or air dam w/ my intake so I'm not sure as to what you're saying. Please clarify as overheating IS a concern for me. Thanks.

I was talking about an idea i had about the air dam.

Is that what jadcock is referring to?

no, it was just an idea of mine. I just wanted to see what you all thought about it. I didnt really think it was necessary to start a new thread, because it was already in the custom intake.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.