Cadillac Owners Forum banner
12K views 88 replies 10 participants last post by  playaman 
#1 ·
After many hours of pondering what to do w/ my intake as far as upgrading it, I came up with what I think is an awesome idea for and intake, and it's free :)

Ok, so, remove all the piping of your intake from the airbos and on. By this I mean, silencer and the other portion that snakes around the car (on my 94 seville STS, anyways). Then, take out your airbox and grab a saw. Cut the bottom of the airbox out so it's just a huge open area to the air filter. The surface area is just as much if not MORE than a cone filter. The air filter still fits inside the desired place. So... in summary, take the bottom half of the airbox and make it completely open to air by cutting off part of the plastic. I'll see if I can get a pic sometimes today and post it. But, I have class right now. Lemme know what you guys think. Lata.

#54 ·
Not bad. Although i dont agree with the filter outside the car, your gonna have to constantly clean it, and if it got punctured, you could get some nasty crap in the engine.

#55 ·
Id say it would work fine it just might get a little grimeier from road spray but will work good

Attachments

#56 ·
Just make sure you check it often to make sure it doesnt get clogged.

#57 ·
Oh my gosh!

And WATER! Watch those PUDDLES! That thing is right inline for spray from other vehicles, driving rain, and worst of all, puddle splash from your own tires! I hope your engine doesn't hydrolock! The quality of your system looks good, but I'd seriously consider relocating that filter.

#58 ·
Or you could put some sort of screen over it.

#60 ·
What if you run out of Twinkies just as a storm comes in? OH my God! What will you do? LOL!

#62 ·
I cant think of a worse situation, KC!!

#66 ·
Thats right. What could be worse than running out of twinkies on a rainy day?

#70 ·
Earlier in this thread I made a remark that people should not try to change what they do not fully understand. This is a perfect example of what I was referring to! Having seen the photos of this intake I see NOTHING there that will improve this vehicle at all! To the contrary this car now has an intake outside under the car directly in the path of anything that bounces off the wheels or the wheels of the car in front..Great idea! Congratulations! You are now the proud owner of a fine american luxury car that you take a chance of destroying simply by the act of driving it under normal circumstances. These forums are partially here as a tool to use to learn about what will and will not work to improve your car and make it more user friendly. We've almost all said in one way or another that this IS a BAD idea! All I can say at this point is....Good Luck! Let us know when it grenades! I for one will be on record as having already said "I told you so"

#72 ·
That's fine. :)
As such, you should not try to modify your car, because it is clear you do not understand the underlying principles of cold air induction. :)
However, if I have to do a little more maintenance of my car in order to assure it's running properly, it bothers me not. :)
It's a bad idea b/c I have to be more careful and maintain my car more often? Doesn't sound like a bad price to pay for the advantages it gives me.
If you don't like what I do, don't respond.

#73 ·
No, but I do understand the principles of rock induction, road grime induction, and induction of other road surface anomalies and know that I don't want those types of intakes on my car.

Dude, we're not saying that the idea sucks -- just that there might be a better place for the filter as opposed to suckin' ants off the road surface. If it works for ya, that's all that counts.

:D

#74 ·
I understand what you're saying. BUT, I'd be VERY careful with an air filter positioned so low and in such a position. The dirt etc. is no biggie as you said. So you keep a closer eye on the filter, so what? The real problem is what happens to your engine if it were to ingest a significant amount of water (which can happen pretty easy with your filter location). Suddenly hydro-locking your engine would be disasterous.

#75 ·
I do have a suggestion that would make this work better. Raise the filter higher, and then put a hose over the filter going down to the road level. Then at the end put some sort of screen over that. That wouldnt necessarily eliminate the possibility for hydrolocking, but it would certainly help.

#76 ·
Great idea elwesso. Only problem I see is how to do it :( I don't drive in the rain, there is a filter to protect from "rock induction" and it wasn't really my choice to have the filter that low. That's just the way the piping that I had already happened to be. Sorry. I think it's a fabulous setup for what it cost me (5 bucks). Please don't talk to me about spending more money on the intake, unless you want to donate me the money :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.