Custom Intake Finished! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Custom Intake Finished! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Well, I've ran w/o an intake at all before and it helped a LOT. So, I'm not sure it's hurting ...
    playaman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Well, I've ran w/o an intake at all before and it helped a LOT. So, I'm not sure it's hurting too much. Also, haven't you seen the stock intake set up? The air isn't exactly cold using that setup
    It works, it feels a lot better when driving, and I'm happy w/ it. I understand the principle of cold air induction, however, how is the K&N cone filter idea draw any colder air than my setup?

ljklaiber is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS 200K miles
    I know this will strike out with young hotrodders, but hacksaw tech and airflow were done to no avail, many years ago. The stock 95 sls air box draws from the LF behind the lower bumper. The chamber is shaped to 'quiet' or 'still' .and present cool air prior to engine demand. Also airflow does not like abrupt changes in direction. Radiused shapes are best for sure. I may be an old man, but I have been porting for 30 years and currently use a SF 600 bench to mod and improve. The engine sees fuel as well as air and how well they blend as they enter combustion chamber is 'muy importante'. Just cause it sounds better..i.e (big moaning noise) does not mean more power. Also, buying long cam profiles from people who run 1500 lb sand buggies, won't work well in 2 ton sedans. Best mod is still putting your sled on a diet. Lose 500 pounds and see.

Old Racer

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    The K&N setup seals the cone filter in a box that then is forced to pull air in through the OEM hole in the body. Unless you hadn't noticed the OEM box doesn't just sit in the engine compartment and suck in hot air, it pulls it from a hole in the body that leads OUT of the engine compartment.
    Yes, you will see a HP improvement by running NO filter at all BUT, I don't think you want to run like that all the time. Plus, as soon as you removed the air inlet completely, you threw the PCM a curve that it will "learn" out to a degree over some time.
    The secret is to modify the inlet/exhaust combination to maximize the engine's performance WITHIN the tuning parameters setup in the PCM. Beyond that, you're just wasting your time and money unless you can get the programming changed.

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
    http://discussions.gmforums.com/sho...hlight=cold+air

Look at that, i think that is the best way to do it. I dont think that cutting off the entire bottom of the airbox is a good idea.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Yo Homer!
    That link won't work for Non-registered people (like me).

ok, let me get it! Try this one:

http://discussions.gmforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=28697

In my opinion, that is most effective, it doesnt screw up the airbox, and it only takes a few minutes!

Ok, ok. You all have spoken and shown me the way. I completely ditched the airbox and went w/ a custom cold air intake setup. First I cut some of the tubing that connects the throttle body to the airbox to make it more circular. Next, I stuck a small 3" or so PVC pipe into the tubing and clamped it. I then bought a 90 degree plastic elbow at Home Depot. Connected that to the PVC pipe. Used a piece of metal tube that I had from the intake on my previous car and connected that to the other side of the elbow. I ran that pipe down the hole where the original intake "snakes around" and stuck a filter on it that draws fresh cold air from outside the car. Now, what do you all have to say about that? Improvement? I think so. I'll see if i can get pics momentarily. Peace.

Edit: Sorry, can't get digital camera workin. No pics for now. maybe tomorrow

Well, im not sure, im having a hard time picturing it. What kind of filter are you using. If i understand correctly, it doesnt sound like a bad setup, but kind of a waste. The airbox is just fine, there is no need to take it out and put in all that other stuff. If you got a KN panel filter and did that mod. that i posted up there, you would have the same if not more power than your setup. It makes sense when you set it up, but in reality putting in a KN filter alone will only give you about 5 extra horses. The "cold air intake" only adds a nominal amout of power.

Please get some pics, i am having a hard time envisioning how it is setup.

I'm using a K&N cone filter but I ran teh piping down and out the car through the hole where the "snake" part normally is, but I removed it.

Ok so let me get this straight: You completely scrapped the airbox, hooked a hose right from the air intake, and have another hose with the KN in it going down to the "snake" hole? Am i correct? This doesnt sound like too bad a setup, but kind of a waste of time, IMO. Please post pics, i wanna see this !!!

That's exactly what I did. Sorry... pics prolly tomorrow night, when I borrow girlfriend's camera.

OK. Funny, i was thinking about doing the EXACT same thing, almost to the letter. Is your KN an open end filter, becuase if not you could be having more restriction then if you would have the stock filter. Something you may consider, i looked on KNs website and found that there are ROUND panel filters. Something that may interest you.....

If i made you feel bad about the setup, i am sorry. IMO though, i think you could have gotten the same results using different methods. But i will say that it does sound like a good setup.

Yes, it's an open-end filter. a ROUND filter DOES sound like something I should look into. Thanks. Thanks for the interest as well. I realize my 1st setup (cutting off bottom of airbox) was inefficient but this one should prove much more efficient.

Dead Sled is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    good luck with the new mod

I have been doing a lot of research on this topic, but found that in this case the easiest is the best. Since you have already done away with the airbox, i guess you have the next best thing. I would recommend running another hose to the outside somewhere, either behind the grille or in the air dam. Either or.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.