Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Do not stud a Northstar

26K views 51 replies 18 participants last post by  Submariner409 
#1 ·
Does everyone understand why putting studs in the Northstar deck is not good?

I have been over this many times. Studs are too hard. The Head grows in size and the factory bolt are designed for this.

Say the head grows .5mm at 225 degrees from 50 degrees F. You stud the block and this cause the head gasket sealing ring to be compressed. What do you think will happen when it is 0 degrees out? What do you think it will do to the treads in the block?

#36 ·
This is for the service manual and as you can see when a torque to yeild bolt is use GM calls it out

Notice: Powdered metal connecting rods have rod bolts which yield when torqued. If the rod bolts are loosened or removed the rod bolts must be replaced. Rod bolts that are not replaced will not torque to the correct clamp load and can lead to serious engine damage.
another time
 6. Remove the water pump pulley bolts.
Caution: This vehicle is equipped with torque-to-yield or single use fasteners. Install a NEW torque-to-yield or single use fastener when installing this component. Failure to replace the torque-to-yield or single use fastener could cause damage to the vehicle or component.

and another time

Caution: This vehicle is equipped with torque-to-yield or single use fasteners. Install a NEW torque-to-yield or single use fastener when installing this component. Failure to replace the torque-to-yield or single use fastener could cause damage to the vehicle or component.

Note: Front end alignment not required due to frame only being lowered and reinstalled.

18. Install NEW frame-to-body bolts (1) and tighten to 110 Y (81 lb ft) + 90 degrees.

and another one that I see very often whe chaning the water pump on a Cruze

 1. Install the engine mount bracket (2).
Caution: Refer to Fastener Caution.

Caution: Refer to Torque-to-Yield Fastener Caution.

 2. Install the 3 NEW engine mount bracket bolts (1) and tighten to  60 Y (45 lb ft) + 45–60°.

and then another 3

 4. Install the 3 NEW engine mount to engine mount bracket bolts (3) and the 3 washers (4).
Caution: Refer to Fastener Caution.

Caution: Refer to Torque-to-Yield Fastener Caution.

 5. Tighten the 2 engine mount to body bolts (2) and the engine mount nut (1) to  62 Y (46 lb ft).
 6. Tighten the 3 engine mount to engine mount bracket bolts (3) to  50 Y (37 lb ft) + 60–70

as you can see they all state Torque to Yield and the Northstar Head bolts do not

#38 ·
it takes 45 minutes to 1 hour to drop it out the bottum

This is the R&R time for the cradle

E1707 Frame, Engine - Complete - Replace
Effective Date: May 1, 2013
LABOR CODE: E1707
Note: For alignment times, refer to labor code E2000/8070012 and add the applicable base time to base labor hours.
Base LABOR TIME: 1.8

J1000 Pan And/Or Gasket, Oil - Replace
LABOR CODE: J1000
Note: For steering wheel angle and/or front toe adjustment times, refer to labor code E2000/8070012 and add the applicable base times to base labor hours.
Base LABOR TIME: 4.5
To Clean Parts On Vehicles Over 30,000 Miles/48,000 Kilometers ADD TIME: 0.1-0.3
With SAI ADD TIME: 0.2

J1190 Lower Crankcase Seal/Sealant Replacement
LABOR CODE: J1190
Note: For alignment times, refer to labor code E2000/8070012 and add the applicable base time to base labor hours.
Base LABOR TIME: 11.8
To Recover and Recharge A/C System ADD TIME: 0.3

J1840 Engine, Universal - Replace
LABOR CODE: J1840
Note: Goodwrench Engine.
Base LABOR TIME: 10.7

----------

This is remove the old damaged cradle and transfer part to a new cradle and then reinstall it
E1707 Frame, Engine - Complete - Replace
LABOR CODE: E1707
Base LABOR TIME: 1.8

#39 ·
but these cars are not new anymore, alot have rust!, what happens when the nuts from the sub frame bolts spin inside the body? there goes at least 2-4 hours of your time.

----------

the entire job takes us about 16 Hours,remove, clean and re-seal, with drilling and tapping installing studs, and re-assembly of the engine, and re-install.

#40 ·
but these cars are not new anymore, alot have rust!, what happens when the nuts from the sub frame bolts spin inside the body?
oh god... I'm not alone! Someone else has experienced it! I had this happen to me one time - it was a real treat. The cage around the captive nut pretty much disappeared as soon as the bolt was turned. I fear this every time I touch a fwd GM subframe now, though it hasn't happened again.

#45 ·
Northstar Engine Mechanical System 16014.11.1 dated 1993 does not state that you need to replace the head bolts or the rod bolts.
I have version 16014.11.2 at home. I will look at that copy.

I do not see an advatage to studs over the NL300 inserts. The inserts use the OE bolts.

#46 ·
........... but 1993 (the early, early Northstar years) is a LOT different from 2000 and later, mechanically ............... Blanket statements about these engines can always come back to haunt you ........

#47 ·
#48 ·
I have news on this. I tore my cammed Eldorado down for R&D at 18,600 miles since the build. I beat the living hell out of that car, at speeds that nobody needs to know about. The engine is still in excellentcondition.

I know where the weak points are. I am a step ahead.

AJ is on to something, to an extent. But to throw studs out of the equasion is simply ignorance. I am open minded.

When I say I am a step ahead, I mean just that. Take my word for it. Because of other individuals frequently on this forum, there are things I simply won't say until the time is right. Anyone interested can like and follow the Northstar Performance facebook page. This is where updates on the teardown will be.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Northstar-Performance/431472116919195?fref=ts

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.