Drilling and Tapping The Northstar V8......my personal experience so far. - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Drilling and Tapping The Northstar V8......my personal experience so far. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Oh yeah. Studs are stepped? Not same thread diameter at both ends?...
    stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    Oh yeah. Studs are stepped? Not same thread diameter at both ends?

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

Re: Drilling and Tapping The Northstar V8......my personal experience so far.

Both heads are now torqued in place. 75ft lbs perr CCC instructions.

I have to clean up the coolant crossover mounting surfaces.

I didn't like the "feel" of the water pump tensioner pulley. Either that pulley will be replaced or a new tensioner will have to be purchased...........

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Gates 3-rib tensioner pulleys in RockAuto, $23. Your car, engine, "belt drive".

Pictures in my albums. Been there, done that (pulley only).

If you even remotely suspect that pulley does not turn like greased velvet, change it. Same with the accessory belt drive idler and tensioner pulleys.

EDIT: Instant gratification = NAPA

The water pump tensioner pulley looks new, but it felt "notchy" when rotated by hand.

I wasn't too pleased with that. I didn't come this far to have something like that possibly cause a catastrophe. It'll be changed or the whole tensioner is coming out.

Thanks for the Rock Auto suggestion Sub......will check it out.

I edited my post ............. Sub

SUPER LAC DEVILLE is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville
    I love this thread...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Well,

I installed the intake cams back onto the heads. The left side went on like butter. The right side due to the cam profile is trying to open the valves on cylinder number 5.

If I rotate the cam, it's attempting to open another set of valves. When I installed the left side, the cam profile never got on the "nose" in any postion for it to open the valves, so I just took my time and re-installed the caps back in their corresponding positions.

The right however will need some ingenious installation techniques that I used to take it off.

I removed the AC Delco plugs that someone must have put on with an impact gun...... They looked damn near brand new.

Now I'm getting ready to reinstall the chains and tensioners......
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

ternstes is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS V, 2007 SRX V8, 2005 CTS 3.6L, 2000 STS, 1999 STS

It's the exhaust cam, isn't it? Just install it slightly off the right angle mark to the head surface and then when you get ready to put the sprockets and chains on, rotate the cam slightly to line it up to its proper position. Also, if you are lucky, the cam will "stick" in that position and you won't have to hold it with a wrench while you put the chains on. A helper to hold the cam in position would be nice...

Ternstes,

Ironically, the exhaust cams weren't removed. I removed the intakes, they were the easiest to access at the time. The right side/ rear intake cam will be a little finicky but I will prevail.

ternstes is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS V, 2007 SRX V8, 2005 CTS 3.6L, 2000 STS, 1999 STS
    Did you remove all the sprockets for all four cams? It is a bit challenging to get the chains on if the sprockets are on the cams already. Maybe it's the intake cam that needs slight adjustment on bank 1, it has been a while. In any event, just use a wrench on the cam to hold it at the right angle position while you install the sprockets and chain. Temporarily zip ties can help hold the chain to the sprockets while you get them in position. Any more pics you can share?

Well,

The cams, chains , tensioners and guides are all back in.

I wasted more time trying to figure out how to get the right side/ rear guide back in than setting the timing. The timing was a breeze.

I guess my experience with quad 4's made this a walk in the park.

I unfortunately had to remove the right side intake cam again to install the guide but once in, it was smooth sailing.

Rotated the motor manaully a few turns to make sure everything was kosher........

We're on the way......

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Are servicing the transmission (solenoids etc) while it's out?

Yes Vincent,

Changing the main filter and servicing the unit.

I believe Eldorado_Red stated the vehicle ran fine before he parked it for the headgasket issue.

When I remove the side cover we'll see what's going on in there and the state of the fluid.

All the motor mounts are getting changed also.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Sweet, should run forever after all is said and done
    Eldorado_RED likes this.

That's what I'm shooting Vincent.

For it to run forever........
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

Nick Cee is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1969 Coupe DeVille, 2001 Deville DHS

How's it going, is it running like a Caddy should? I'm saving for my studs, got caught up in the bottom end and it got expensive..

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.