Drilling and Tapping The Northstar V8......my personal experience so far. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Drilling and Tapping The Northstar V8......my personal experience so far. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Let there be studs.........
    98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

Re: Drilling and Tapping The Northstar V8......my personal experience so far.

Let there be studs......

Well,

The rear bank of studs are installed at 4" above the surface with thread locker. They'll need a tweak.

Have to set the front.......
    Attached Images

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    What is in upper right corner of pic? Can't see clearly. Looks like Honda motor?

Sure is......

My iPad crops the pics. I used my computer to look at pic and it is much larger.

Front studs have been thread locked.

I have to tweak a couple to get the gasket and the heads on. I've got to get in the groove with this thing. Yet, have to pay some bills.

daveyhouse is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 98 deville D'Elegance 86 Fiero 2m4 / 86 Fiero GT W/SBC

I used a little plastic mini square (3") that came with my compound miter saw to check for squareness with the deck. I also used wooden foot ruler to check for proper exposure of stud above deck.

I then had a handle that came with a small hydraulic jack that was big enough to fit over the stud to tweak it in the direction needed. I put an old shirt over the stud to help protect the threads then applied pressure. Don't beat on it, just push.
    98eldo32v and 98eldo32v like this.

we all know studs are straight. does that mean you are drilling and tapping the holes at an angle? not that it makes any difference when heads are on

@ Stoveguy,

I can only say that now that the studs are in and the drilling complete, the ones that need tweaking must be slightly off since drilling by hand WITHOUT a guide componet/device. I call this human error.

Yes, the studs are supposed to be straight also, but nothing in life is perfect. A slight tweak here and there won't be bad.

SUPER LAC DEVILLE is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville
    Quote Originally Posted by 98eldo32v View Post
    @ Stoveguy,

I can only say that now that the studs are in and the drilling complete, the ones that need tweaking must be slightly off since drilling by hand WITHOUT a guide componet/device. I call this human error.

Yes, the studs are supposed to be straight also, but nothing in life is perfect. A slight tweak here and there won't be bad.
    If they're not straight then won't that give ur head bolts "Play" under load

I believe the whole objective is to Prevent Stripping of the threads and holes... That's what causes the separation of the blocks in the first place, right?

So if u drilled at an angle, u essentially created the very problem u were trying to fix

But I not exactly sure if that is the case with studs

Would like to know more on this so please keep up the updates

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

SUPER_LAC, The studs are threaded into the block and, once in, they are not turned (like, tightened) ever again. The fine threads and upper nuts do the torquing - not the lower threads; they aren't even tightened into the block - finger tight with thread locker. IF a stud hole is drilled and threaded a few thousandths of an inch off the stud then needs to be tweaked in the correct direction to get it perfectly perpendicular to the deck face. A stud can be "bent" (that's a scary term, here) a tiny bit to allow the head to smoothly drop over all 10.......... but if you had to bend the stud enough that you could see the angle at the lower thread area, then you have problems - big problems.

To further bend your mind, consider that original head bolts do not go all the way to the bottom of the block hole/threads - the only thing that holds those bolts in is the torque applied to clamp the head to the block - the bolts don't even come close to bottoming in the holes.
    98eldo32v and 98eldo32v like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    SUPER_LAC, The studs are threaded into the block and, once in, they are not turned (like, tightened) ever again. The fine threads and upper nuts do the torquing - not the lower threads; they aren't even tightened into the block - finger tight with thread locker. IF a stud hole is drilled and threaded a few thousandths of an inch off the stud then needs to be tweaked in the correct direction to get it perfectly perpendicular to the deck face. A stud can be "bent" (that's a scary term, here) a tiny bit to allow the head to smoothly drop over all 10.......... but if you had to bend the stud enough that you could see the angle at the lower thread area, then you have problems - big problems.

To further bend your mind, consider that original head bolts do not go all the way to the bottom of the block hole/threads - the only thing that holds those bolts in is the torque applied to clamp the head to the block - the bolts don't even come close to bottoming in the holes.
    Oh ok!!!

I get that now

I was thinking the studs did all the tightening

Thanks for that clarification !!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

You lay stud on flat table and roll them. They don't look like a banana? Do they?

Quote Originally Posted by stoveguyy View Post
    You lay stud on flat table and roll them. They don't look like a banana? Do they?
    I will have to buy a kit one day!

Did everything work good tho?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Well,

A 12" x 3/4 pipe and a few pushes in different directions later, the headgaskets slid over the studs.

Now, it's getting the heads on.......

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.