How to clean out fuel system in a 96 Eldorado sitting for 6 years. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, How to clean out fuel system in a 96 Eldorado sitting for 6 years. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; WOW! Never seen anything like that before. I would bet it could be salvaged, but a new pump isn't that ...
    Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: How to clean out fuel system in a 96 Eldorado sitting for 6 years.

WOW! Never seen anything like that before.

I would bet it could be salvaged, but a new pump isn't that expensive and since it's already down, what the hell.

P.S.
    Perfect example of why hearing the pump run means nothing without a pressure test.

NAES is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

I thought about salvaging the pump but a foot of Gates brand submersible fuel line is $30 at Oreilly auto parts. I found the fuel pump on Ebay for $40 NIB!! How could I go wrong? I'll still keep the old pump for possible parts down the road but since it's already this far down, I might as well do it.

And yes, the old pump runs fine but that doesn't mean a damned thing as far as getting the thing to run!

NAES

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Fuel pump only for $40 or assembly for $40 - the last "$50 fuel pump assembly" we saw in here from eBay was Chinese and would not fit............ and "fuel pump only" may not have that flex line - thus the advice to look in RockAuto for the deals on original GM parts.

The listing was for an Airtex Fuel Pump Assembly part number 3935m. Airtex isn't the worst brand in the world.

A quick search showed that it is in fact the entire assembly, not just the pump. I may have gotten lucky, if not I'll return it. The car hasn't run in a long, long time, what's another week or 2 going to hurt?

I'm sure you're just looking out for my best interest. NAES

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Where did you get that part number?

my listings show E3913M as the Airtex part number for a 1996 eldorado
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Sorry Chris that was totally my bad. The car was manufactured 9/96 and sold as a 97. I see now that 96-7 is a transitional year for the fuel pump. I didn't know that until I did a little digging today. So my guess is that I'll end up getting a 97 pump that truly fits the 97 manufactured year. The Airtex comes with the wiring harness so if the pump physically fits the tank then I'll play with the harness a little bit and see if it'll work. I don't see why not as they are both 4 pin connectors just arranged in a different plug..........I hope!

Wish me luck guys. I'll report back when I get the pump and start messing with it.

NAES

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: How to clean out fuel system in a 97 Eldorado sitting for 6 years. (edited)

FWIW, The 1997 "model year" (or ANY OTHER model year) began/begins in about August/YR. My "2002" Seville series was built from 08/01 to 06/02.

Mid-summer is the production line reconfiguration time for the new model year. The onboard diagnostics (OBD) systems changed during 1995-1996.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

and the 10th digit of the VIN will tell you the model year
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

SHE LIVES!!!!!!!................well sorta!

I swapped in the new pump and primed the system a few times. Depressed the fuel pressure relief valve to ensure I'm at least getting fuel up to the engine and let her rip! She fired after a couple of cranks and then settled in. I only let it run for about 2-3 minutes as I haven't changed the coolant yet and didn't want to get the engine too warm letting that old stuff circulate.

So next time around is some fresh Dex-cool and then I'll let her warm up and see how she feels. It's so awesome to get into a project that you know nothing about and be able to make your way through it. I want to thank all of you who replied and helped me out. It made the job so much easier.

I'll report back after the coolant swap. Anything else I should think about getting while I'm already in there?

NAES

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Just drain and refill with 50/50 Dex and distilled water.

Hey all I'm back.

I took the Eldo to the (semi)-local Northstar "expert" for a once over. My list was tightening the front pulley to spec, fix the P300 code (engine miss firing), valve cover gaskets, plugs, wires, AC recharge and a general tuning for smog.

The 3 day job turned in to 2 weeks with no phone calls getting returned. I finally had the time to just drop by and get the car. It was in the bay and literally nothing had been done on it. He breezed through every reason in the book for not getting the job done or returning my calls. 2 weeks wasted. Still misses at idle so I put a new set of AC Delco plugs in gapped at 0.60 and wires are on the way from RockAuto. Still misses so I'm hoping it's the wires. Otherwise I'll go through the coil packs and see which one(s) might be bad.

The saga continues...............NAES

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.