Northstar exhaust
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Northstar exhaust in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; HAVING A DEBATE ABOUT TRUE DUAL EXHAUST ( header to pipe straight back) and if the N* 4.6 WOULD HAVE ...
    BlueAngel#07 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): DTS PERFORMANCE / 2007 DTS - GONE

Northstar exhaust

HAVING A DEBATE ABOUT TRUE DUAL EXHAUST ( header to pipe straight back) and if the N* 4.6 WOULD HAVE BACK PRESSURE ISSUES AND CAUSE COMPUTER CONFLICTS.
    WITH ONE PIPE PER HEADER. HOW TOUCHY ARE THESE CARS.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Northstar exhaust

sOMETHING iS wRONG wITH yOUR cAPS lOCK.

If you can fit the piping, sensors, cats and mufflers to the car (lots of luck) it will run just fine............ no performance gain because the little Northstar has all the pipe it needs as-is.

Even fitting the larger CORSA cat-back to my STS made no difference in anything but sound except MAYBE, just maybe, up near WOT redline.

Let's move this to the proper forum: Northstar Performance. The Lounge is more for non-specific chit-chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409
    sOMETHING iS wRONG wITH yOUR cAPS lOCK.

If you can fit the piping, sensors, cats and mufflers to the car (lots of luck) it will run just fine............ no performance gain because the little Northstar has all the pipe it needs as-is.

Even fitting the larger CORSA cat-back to my STS made no difference in anything but sound except MAYBE, just maybe, up near WOT redline.

Let's move this to the proper forum: Northstar Performance. The Lounge is more for non-specific chit-chat.
    Thanks for that....(I win ). The debate was chit chat, but will in the future.

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

true duals on a Northstar powered Caddy has been tried since 1993 -

IF you could complete a true dual exhaust -
    and have no problems -
    YOU would be the FIRST -

Quote Originally Posted by basscatt
    true duals on a Northstar powered Caddy has been tried since 1993 -

IF you could complete a true dual exhaust -
    and have no problems -
    YOU would be the FIRST -
    What type of problems? Code producing? Performance robbing?

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Quote Originally Posted by BlueAngel#07 View Post
    What type of problems? Code producing? Performance robbing?
    My guess would be room. There isn't a whole lot to work with on these cars.

pimpincaddystyle is offline Cadillac Owners Member

imo it can be done. i just replaced the head gaskets on my 98 sts and while i had it apart i looked for a dual exhaust solution.. it looks tight but i think you could do it... furthermore the front bank pipe runs into the downpipe at about an 85 degree angle which is clearly not great for flow and adds turbulence to the flow of the rear bank exhaust. i think if you found a dual inlet/outlet cat converter it would be ok... i will attempt it at some point... the major problem i see would be actually welding the new downpipe off the front bank crossover(at the correct angle)

beyond the obvious 85 degree entrance of the crossover pipe, there is about 1 inch if pipe protruding into the exhaust stream of the downpipe... scroll down to see the pic
    http://www.carrollcustomcadillac.com...eupgrades.aspx

RandyT. is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Aurora

There is a member on the Aurora club with a Shelby engine in his Aurora that has true dual exhaust, I will see if I can find a thread about it. He could tell you more about any back pressure issues if any exist. I think one of the biggest killers is the exhaust manifolds, they have like a dual wall in them that takes up a lot of space on the inside of the exhaust, I have been trying to figure out a way to remove it, I have been considering cutting the manifold open, removing the guts, and then welding it back together. I have already cleaned my y flex pipe, I am waiting to install it with my 4.6 into my Aurora, I also have a hallowed catalytic convertor, it throws a code, but that should be fixed with my Madtuner tuned pcm.

stoveguyy is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    Shelby motor in FWD aurora? Shelby like ford?

RandyT. is offline Cadillac Owners Member

No, it's from a Shelby Series 1, it's a car made by Shelby that used an Aurora V8.

stoveguyy is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    Did see a nice YouTube video of bare Shelby chassis. Had a ford motor though. Certainly not aurora style valve covers with center location plug wells.

shelbyracing is offline Cadillac Owners Member

So you maintain that exhaust gas flow/pressure is the same under light load engine rev conditions as it is under maximum load WOT demands ?

Do the same pressure test on a full-tilt dyno run and it will mean something.

Sure wish the Seville had that much exhaust pipe tunnel width ...............

shelbyracing is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    So you maintain that exhaust gas flow/pressure is the same under light load engine rev conditions as it is under maximum load WOT demands ?

Do the same pressure test on a full-tilt dyno run and it will mean something.

Sure wish the Seville had that much exhaust pipe tunnel width ...............
    That's a good idea, I may do that and get some copper to plumb it into the car. Seville's have different tunnel width in rear? I would've thought that to be the same.

Here's Joe Tahoe's CORSA install as of last year. Not much room to spread out. Even worse up toward the resonator and Y/flex coupling. When I did my CORSA the car was up on a 4-point at the local AMJ Automotive - we looked long and hard at the room to work with, the little (279 c.i) Northstar engine, and the pipe ID's. The extra weight, cat(s), sensor(s), and labor was not worth the minimal gains in a FWD car with a non-programable PCM (1998-on). We're also screwed by the "crossunder" pipe arrangement coupled with the low under-engine ground clearance.

Notice how Joe's Y-pipe area is off-center in the tunnel - that can be cured by using small screw band hose clamps on the muffler hanger rods: The front flex coupling allows you to move the entire system back and forth - center it, use a hose clamp against each side of the muffler hanger cookies, and BINGO ! - the exhaust system will not walk side-to-side.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.